Current AUSA but it's not for me and I want to go back to BL. Should I swtich divisions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JackofLit

New

Re: Current AUSA but it's not for me and I want to go back to BL. Should I swtich divisions?

Postby JackofLit » Fri May 12, 2017 10:18 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
mercymainbtw wrote:Also how is someone who "doesn't like doing work they don't believe in" pining for biglaw

There's a difference between academic arguments about which business owes which other business how much money and giving a kid a criminal record for an ounce of weed or whatever. There's "I don't really care" and there's "I'm personally fucking up this particular person's future."

There's also a big difference between the BS misdemeanor stuff every AUSA has to do in the first year, and the real cases you graduate to afterwards. Moral complexity exists at the felony level too, but guys bringing in 30 pounds of meth/guys stealing $50 million from widows/etc. are a lot less sympathetic.

Anonymous User

Re: Current AUSA but it's not for me and I want to go back to BL. Should I swtich divisions?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Became an AUSA some months ago. I was a junior associate in biglaw before this.

Dislike being an AUSA. I want to lateral back to big law ASAP.

I'm currently in misdemeanors. I get to run my own cases. I have the option of moving over to the bigger investigations but I'd be working under someone else.

If my goal is to lateral back to big law ASAP (by end of 2017), should I stay in misdemeanors? Not sure whether its more valuable to be running my own cases or to be a part of bigger investigations.

I'd be lateraling as a mid-level.

First of all, you probably have a commitment if you're in a major metro and it's probably not a six-month commitment. Second, you know you took someone else's dream job, right? Third, you also know that your colleagues are getting paid less than they could've been paid in order to make room for you? This ain't biglaw where it doesn't matter if you stay or go because they can just replace you. There's hiring freezes, budget decisions, caseloads that get shuffled . . .next time you make a decision to go to a job of consequence, be a real professional and do the job for a reasonable amount of time.

I don't agree with your second point. OP was qualified for a job and took it. Just because it's highly competitive and someone else's dream job does not mean OP should not have taken the job. Biglaw is filled with people who do not really want to be there, and I'm sure it's the "dream job" for a lot of TTT students. But should T14 law students just stop taking these jobs because it's someone else's dream job?

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't agree with your second point. OP was qualified for a job and took it. Just because it's highly competitive and someone else's dream job does not mean OP should not have taken the job. Biglaw is filled with people who do not really want to be there, and I'm sure it's the "dream job" for a lot of TTT students. But should T14 law students just stop taking these jobs because it's someone else's dream job?

I'm not that anon, and my first post was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction of "just gtfo back to biglaw and open this AUSA position up for someone who actually wants it," but this is a different situation than the above. Biglaw is filled with people who want the money and/or the "prestige" of the firm name on their resume before they go elsewhere. Most TTT students gunning for biglaw probably also weren't planning on staying in biglaw for the rest of their lives, either.

Now, I get some people don't know if they'd like something until they go do it, and I get that not everyone would enjoy the work as an AUSA for various reasons, including those described in posts above. My thoughts were probably more along the lines that going FROM biglaw to AUSA is a huge ass paycut (depending on where you ended up you're probably paid anywhere from 30-40% of what you were making at biglaw) and I doubt it was an easy decision. To make that jump without doing sufficient research into what you would be doing such that you end up hating your job after just a few months and want to lateral back to biglaw before you've done anything substantive or even have the benefit of the AUSA position on your resume (if that's part of why you went there)... that's a bit on the "wow what the fuck" side to me.

But then again, I suppose that's why OP is here asking for advice, which is reasonable enough. And I think he's gotten some good advice in here, even if they're buried between posts like mine.

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:39 pm

lolwat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't agree with your second point. OP was qualified for a job and took it. Just because it's highly competitive and someone else's dream job does not mean OP should not have taken the job. Biglaw is filled with people who do not really want to be there, and I'm sure it's the "dream job" for a lot of TTT students. But should T14 law students just stop taking these jobs because it's someone else's dream job?

I'm not that anon, and my first post was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction of "just gtfo back to biglaw and open this AUSA position up for someone who actually wants it," but this is a different situation than the above. Biglaw is filled with people who want the money and/or the "prestige" of the firm name on their resume before they go elsewhere. Most TTT students gunning for biglaw probably also weren't planning on staying in biglaw for the rest of their lives, either.

Now, I get some people don't know if they'd like something until they go do it, and I get that not everyone would enjoy the work as an AUSA for various reasons, including those described in posts above. My thoughts were probably more along the lines that going FROM biglaw to AUSA is a huge ass paycut (depending on where you ended up you're probably paid anywhere from 30-40% of what you were making at biglaw) and I doubt it was an easy decision. To make that jump without doing sufficient research into what you would be doing such that you end up hating your job after just a few months and want to lateral back to biglaw before you've done anything substantive or even have the benefit of the AUSA position on your resume (if that's part of why you went there)... that's a bit on the "wow what the fuck" side to me.

But then again, I suppose that's why OP is here asking for advice, which is reasonable enough. And I think he's gotten some good advice in here, even if they're buried between posts like mine.

dude, a couple of my ausa buddies had some experiences in their first six months that would make ANYONE think twice about wanting to work that job. be grateful that things have worked out well for you.

people can decide for any number of legitimate reasons that it's not for them, there are about a million people who would happily fill the spot (granted there's a freeze right now, but you can't blame the policies of the orange overlord you choose to work for on OP), and re: the ausa saying it might have had some minor impact on the discretionary part of her GS pay scale, i'm sorry, but i have a hard time sympathizing---i don't think OP is going to make you miss your mortgage payment.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:53 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
lolwat wrote:

dude, a couple of my ausa buddies had some experiences in their first six months that would make ANYONE think twice about wanting to work that job. be grateful that things have worked out well for you.

people can decide for any number of legitimate reasons that it's not for them, there are about a million people who would happily fill the spot (granted there's a freeze right now, but you can't blame the policies of the orange overlord you choose to work for on OP), and re: the ausa saying it might have had some minor impact on the discretionary part of her GS pay scale, i'm sorry, but i have a hard time sympathizing---i don't think OP is going to make you miss your mortgage payment.

I'm he poster who posted anon, but don't want to hide behind that. I agree with this. I used to think I really wanted the job, but now I'm not sure. I'm definitely excited about being a real trial lawyer, but morally that is all that excites me.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

For what its worth, I'm in BL and feel the same way about AUSA. I wouldn't want to do it bc I don't like criminal law and I wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
lolwat wrote:

I'm he poster who posted anon, but don't want to hide behind that. I agree with this. I used to think I really wanted the job, but now I'm not sure. I'm definitely excited about being a real trial lawyer, but morally that is all that excites me.

kind of a stupid reason to be an AUSA if you don't believe in the mission. There are these folks called federal public defenders. They go to trials regularly . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
lolwat wrote:

kind of a stupid reason to be an AUSA if you don't believe in the mission. There are these folks called federal public defenders. They go to trials regularly . . .

And what is the mission exactly? To put everyone in jail? Or to "seek justice?" And if the mission is to seek justice, is it not conceivable that you would want people with different conceptions of what that means working at the USAO? Or are you fine giving all the government funding to USAOs with people who want to punish / convict for the highest possible sentences while giving crap money to those who are more interested in keeping people out of jail and in criminal justice reform? People like you are the reason why the criminal justice system is so fucked up.

Honestly, the hive mind on this forum is really ridiculous sometimes.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 14, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And what is the mission exactly? To put everyone in jail? Or to "seek justice?" And if the mission is to seek justice, is it not conceivable that you would want people with different conceptions of what that means working at the USAO? Or are you fine giving all the government funding to USAOs with people who want to punish / convict for the highest possible sentences while giving crap money to those who are more interested in keeping people out of jail and in criminal justice reform? People like you are the reason why the criminal justice system is so fucked up.

Honestly, the hive mind on this forum is really ridiculous sometimes. .

Not to harp on a point that's already been made, but if your primary interests are systemic reform and keeping people out of jail, then that sure sounds like a PD, not a prosecutor...

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be in favor of systemic reform and exercising discretion in a prosecutor's office, but most of a prosecutor's job is seeking the appropriate punishment for people who violate the law. And often, that punishment is jail time. I can't keep track of whether you're the original OP, but I feel like this is information that can be found out by talking to a few AUSAs in a district before going through the trouble of applying, interviewing, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 4:57 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Not to harp on a point that's already been made, but if your primary interests are systemic reform and keeping people out of jail, then that sure sounds like a PD, not a prosecutor...

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be in favor of systemic reform and exercising discretion in a prosecutor's office, but most of a prosecutor's job is seeking the appropriate punishment for people who violate the law. And often, that punishment is jail time. I can't keep track of whether you're the original OP, but I feel like this is information that can be found out by talking to a few AUSAs in a district before going through the trouble of applying, interviewing, etc.

I'm not the original OP. It's like you guys are incapable of seeing nuance. What is the "appropriate punishment" for someone who violates the law? For someone who is caught selling cocaine and has a gun in his car? Your standard distribution of a controlled substance, which sends that person to jail for a while, or the standard distribution plus a tasty 18 USC 924 enhancement for an extra 5 (or even an extra 25, if the guy is a recidivist)? Guess what, between Holder and Sessions there's a a divergence of opinion as to which applies. Between different USAs in different districts I'm sure there's further divergences of opinion. If you don't let people who are more reform-oriented work as AUSAs, you're going to lose those nuances in prosecution and you're going to end up with a very repressive system.

This is just one example. It is very possible to go the AUSA route - ignoring for a moment the prestige-related motivations - thinking that you will be able to effect some change, and that you will fine with the day-to-day realities of the job, only to realize after actually working there for a while that you can't take it. Kind of like all the PD washouts who come in as idealists and realize after a few months that a truckload of clients are guilty, lying assholes.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
lolwat wrote:

And what is the mission exactly? To put everyone in jail? Or to "seek justice?" And if the mission is to seek justice, is it not conceivable that you would want people with different conceptions of what that means working at the USAO? Or are you fine giving all the government funding to USAOs with people who want to punish / convict for the highest possible sentences while giving crap money to those who are more interested in keeping people out of jail and in criminal justice reform? People like you are the reason why the criminal justice system is so fucked up.

I really don't think this is a TLS hive mind thing. And I also think you're putting words in this anon's mouth - where did money and convicting for highest possible sentences come from? all they said was that if you have moral concerns about prosecuting people, going to a USAO because it gives trial experience isn't a great reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 5:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't think this is a TLS hive mind thing. And I also think you're putting words in this anon's mouth - where did money and convicting for highest possible sentences come from? all they said was that if you have moral concerns about prosecuting people, going to a USAO because it gives trial experience isn't a great reason.

It matters because it might explain why you could want to go into federal prosecution despite have misgivings about it. If everyone with moral qualms about the current system went to be a PD, nothing would change because PDs don't have nearly the amount of resources prosecutors do. And because prosecutors wield power, not PDs. If you want to effect some change, you won't be doing so as a PD.

Maybe I am putting words in people's mouth, but it sure sounds like everyone ITT saying a variation of 1) wah wah OP you stole the job from good people, and 2) wah wah OP why would you become an AUSA if you have concerns about prosecuting people.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't think this is a TLS hive mind thing. And I also think you're putting words in this anon's mouth - where did money and convicting for highest possible sentences come from? all they said was that if you have moral concerns about prosecuting people, going to a USAO because it gives trial experience isn't a great reason.

It matters because it might explain why you could want to go into federal prosecution despite have misgivings about it. If everyone with moral qualms about the current system went to be a PD, nothing would change because PDs don't have nearly the amount of resources prosecutors do. And because prosecutors wield power, not PDs. If you want to effect some change, you won't be doing so as a PD.

Maybe I am putting words in people's mouth, but it sure sounds like everyone ITT saying a variation of 1) wah wah OP you stole the job from good people, and 2) wah wah OP why would you become an AUSA if you have concerns about prosecuting people.

Actually, this OP specifically said that they found themselves siding with the defendant in most cases. That goes way beyond a general concern with how sentencing is handled.

But I don't know why it's a newsflash that brand new AUSAs don't get to determine sentencing guidelines for their office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
bruinfan10 wrote:
lolwat wrote:

You do know the poster said that the ONLY thing that (s)he is ok with morally in being an AUSA is going to trial? And I responded and said (s)he could get trial experience AND probably be morally ok if (s)he were a PD, and you went on this long rant and said I'm the reason the criminal justice system is messed up. Calm down and get some perspective.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 14, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm he poster who posted anon, but don't want to hide behind that. I agree with this. I used to think I really wanted the job, but now I'm not sure. I'm definitely excited about being a real trial lawyer, but morally that is all that excites me.

Is it so hard to imagine OP might have had a different conception of the moral implications of the job coming in? Noooo, of course not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri May 26, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Jeez. Every time some topic about USAO/federal PDs come up it devolves into complaints about the justice system. Ah well. Hope OP got the advice he needed somewhere along the way. I still think people who are in biglaw considering moving to a USAO need to think long and hard and do their research into the position before you take a 60% salary cut, take a competitive position others are vying for, and then want to leave 6 months later because you didn't like the job. That should minimize the kind of buyer's remorse seen in this thread. As others have said, PD's offices give plenty of trial (and appellate) experience without the moral implications of prosecuting people. Of course, it has its own challenges, but everything does.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm

JackofLit wrote:I did this after five years even though I LOVED being an AUSA. Some free advice: consider having some patience. Biglaw is great, esp. the pay, but if I had it to do over I think I'd have stayed longer and jumped back at a higher level. Also, doing the CVB docket is not a reasonable representation of the overall AUSA/DOJ experience. You'd be missing a chance to work serious matters and develop real skills you cannot get elsewhere by bailing so early. And no one in Biglaw with real DOJ experience who reads your resume will be deceived/impressed by a year at a USAO focused on CVBs.

$0.02.

Reviving my old thread. What year did you end up lateraling at? And waht year would you have preferred to do so?

I'm not disliking it as much as before but I'm still wishing I was back in BL.

Return to “Legal Employment�