Resume Length for Mid-level

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume Length for Mid-level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 am

This is for a friend and before I ask them to compact it all to one page, wanted to check tls wisdom. Imagine mid-level with some unusual experience but nothing to blow your mind. Is it ok if it is above a page?

Anonymous User

Re: Resume Length for Mid-level

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:23 am

Having just finished looking through resumes and interviewing about 10 mid-levels (NYC M&A), I would think the resume of a mid-level should be one page. None of these folks, some of whom were MUCH more impressive than me, had a 2 page resume. Now, they all did include a deal list of several pages but that was separate from their resume.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:03 am

I'd keep it to one page if only to keep the focus on your friend's few most important resume items. It doesn't have to be exhaustive.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu May 11, 2017 10:16 am

When I lateraled, I did a one-page resume, but then attached an appendix with selected engagements and a list of publications. Seemed to work well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm

What I did was 1page resume plus separate page for publications/deals.

I spoke to a few recruiters and they told me that 1 page resume plus deals/publications is the norm for transactional cats.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 pm

nealric wrote:When I lateraled, I did a one-page resume, but then attached an appendix with selected engagements and a list of publications. Seemed to work well.

Curious, how does the list of selected engagements work, esp. for lit? Is it kind of like a representative case list of stuff you worked on, kind of like how lawyers have shit like that in their bios?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 pm

lolwat wrote:
nealric wrote:When I lateraled, I did a one-page resume, but then attached an appendix with selected engagements and a list of publications. Seemed to work well.

Curious, how does the list of selected engagements work, esp. for lit? Is it kind of like a representative case list of stuff you worked on, kind of like how lawyers have shit like that in their bios?

That's what I did. Not a litigator though. Just listed general features to give the reader a sense of what kind of work I did- size of deal, key features, etc.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Sat May 13, 2017 9:04 am

Going 1.5 or 1.25 page is way better than those nimrods that manipulate the borders, margin, font size and/or line spacing to fit everything on one page. . . and be obvious about it. It's not a term paper.

If you are a mid-level lateral, no one would bat an eye just because you have 2 pages of resume. But any resume has fat that can be cut out -- BAR/BRI rep? Fishing, cooking, gardening?

Return to “Legal Employment�