3L Hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Hiring

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Hey all,

I was curious if there is a list somewhere of firms that do 3L hiring, both those that do it exclusively and those that do it if spots are open. I know 3L OCI hiring is not super strong, but I want to be able to get ahead of the curve. Also, last year 2L mass mailing in June seemed to be a thing, will 3L mass mailing need to start in June for this year or in early July the appropriate time frame?

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Re: 3L Hiring

Postby Mickfromgm » Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Generally, 3L hiring is on an as needed basis. While some firms purposefully reserve spots for a very limited number of 3L hires, most do so only if the "yield" of the summer associate offers was lower than expected (i.e., a lower-than-expected acceptance rate). Because the associate hiring is driven off the firm's annual budget process for the most part, it is unusual for the firm to alter the hiring quota for the year in between budgets.

Note that smaller firms and solos do their hiring on a much more ad hoc basis, so they are much more flexible and could be convinced that they have a need for another (superbly qualified) warm body. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Bump to see if anyone can help out. I have an SA this summer at a non-market paying smaller firm and really want to go in NYC somewhere.

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Sun May 14, 2017 6:33 pm

To find out a firm's hiring needs, check gobiglaw.com and narrow it down by area of practice and/or city. That should inform you of a list of firms to apply for.

That said, you might have more success targeting local (same town) biglaw with your post-SA offer.

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Sun May 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump to see if anyone can help out. I have an SA this summer at a non-market paying smaller firm and really want to go in NYC somewhere.

Get an offer from your summer firm and mass mail toward the end of July. No trick to it really.

Return to “Legal Employment�