Firm suggestions for OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
morningstar

Bronze

Firm suggestions for OCI

Postby morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Hey all, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. I'm looking for firms that I'm a strong candidate for getting a SA position. I'm at a T14 school, and I'm roughly median in most classes (although I did get the award for being the best in my class in Contracts). I have VERY limited (read: pretty much none) extracurriculars during my law school career. I also took a year off during my 1L fall and 1L spring semesters for personal/medical reasons (was pregnant, child born prematurely, passed away shortly after).

My target markets are:

Orange County, CA (top choice)
Los Angeles, CA
All Texas markets (close to family)
Other Midwest markets (Chicago, etc.)
New York
DC

I'm willing to expand my target markets to...well...pretty much anywhere, considering my limited ECs and middle-of-the-road performance, not to mention the year break that might give some employers pause (not so much if I explained it, but that's probably not terribly appropriate during a biglaw interview).

Again, just some firm-specific (or even firm AND office specific if you have that info) recommendations would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks all.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: Firm suggestions for OCI

Postby ballouttacontrol » Sun May 07, 2017 8:17 pm

narrow down your target markets. it's unlikely you'll be able to give a compelling story to all of the very insular markets you just mentioned. and be realistic about your grades in combo with school. if you're at UCLA you probably shouldnt target DC at median, same if you're at GULC and LA. Most firms in those places are pretty grade selective, tho obviously not all

your school should have some info about the average GPA or grade distribution or similar for pretty much every firm coming to OCI.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Are those markets in order of preference, or is OC the only one above the rest? Also, how many firms can you bid at your OCI and how are interviews given at your T14?

You've picked a bunch of pretty big, and very different, markets to focus on. Beyond creating a narrative for all of them, there just isn't a great way to develop a bid list across so many regions that is even remotely coherent. It sounds like you're at least slightly above median, which will be helpful. But you really should pick a couple markets to focus on, while maybe throwing out a few bids to other markets that might be more "safety" bids where you think you'll be more competitive. I'd say with your current list, your bid list should be max 3 markets.

ETA: Just saw you're at Boalt, so I'd definitely say OC, LA, and TX should be your target markets for telling a coherent narrative.

morningstar

Bronze

Postby morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks for both replies. I feel like (especially for OCI purposes) OC/LA can be combined into the same market. Judging by last year's OCI schedule (which I had access to since I was initially a part of the 2018 class), most of the SoCal recruiters were representing their LA offices as well as their OC offices (if they had one).

So I would say my target markets are:
LA/OC (lived there for 10+ years - strong "why" argument)
Texas (can this count as one market? again, strong argument based on family)
Chicago (I have a good argument for this one based on proximity to other family)

I initially included NY & DC because I'm aware that a significant portion of the jobs come from these markets. I know many of the bigger firms would have higher gpa requirements than I can meet (not to mention ECs like law review), but I also felt like there was something about sheer quantity of jobs in these markets that gave me a decent shot (if I targeted my firms well). If I'm being honest, though, I have zero desire to live in NY. I could see myself living in the outer portions of DC, so that is a possibility.
Last edited by morningstar on Sun May 07, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easterbork

Bronze

Postby Easterbork » Sun May 07, 2017 8:33 pm

morningstar wrote:Thanks for both replies. I feel like (especially for OCI purposes) OC/LA can be combined into the same market. Judging by last year's OCI schedule (which I had access to since I was initially a part of the 2018 class), most of the SoCal recruiters were representing their LA offices as well as their OC offices (if they had one).

So I would say my target markets are:
LA/OC (lived here for 10+ years - strong "why" argument)
Texas (can this count as one market? again, strong argument based on family)
Chicago (I have a good argument for this one based on proximity to other family)

I initially included NY & DC because I'm aware that a significant portion of the jobs come from these markets. I know many of the bigger firms would have higher gpa requirements than I can meet (not to mention ECs like law review), but I also felt like there was something about sheer quantity of jobs in these markets that gave me a decent shot (if I targeted my firms well). If I'm being honest, though, I have zero desire to live in NY. I could see myself living in the outer portions of DC, so that is a possibility.

If you are prioritizing getting a biglaw offer I would pick NYC, bid the firms with big NYC classes first in your bid list up to the point where you don't think you will get them, and then mix in the big LA and TX offices, and then fill out remaining spots with the smaller offices.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Will your OCS be providing grades data for the firms that come to Boalt OCI? I feel like that's the best starting place in picking firms in your target markets.

NYC is the safest place to get Biglaw, but coming out of Boalt with extensive time living in CA prior to attendance will definitely make LA/OC possible when you're above median, and you can sell TX since you have family there as well (ideally your family is in one of DFW/Houston to make the sell even easier). I don't think you have to bid NYC firms, but if you want some safeties, it's certainly reasonable to pick some of the bigger summer classes where your grades align with their hiring criteria. But without knowing all of the firms that go to Boalt OCI, and hopefully OCS collected grade data for firms, I don't think anyone outside fellow Boalt students/graduates can really help all that much. How much have you worked with OCS so far?

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Sun May 07, 2017 8:43 pm

I would suggest trying to get a job before OCI by applying to as many firms as possible. You have time and you can apply to a lot more firms and find the one firm that will be fine with your relatively unique circumstance.

Also, this is pretty early so you have a lot of time left to apply. If you went into OCI with a job, you could focus on your top choice city and if you don't get anything, well, you have backup.

morningstar

Bronze

Postby morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 pm

So here's a very preliminary bidding list (A-Z order only) based on my school's last year OCI/EIW attendees. For some reason, they've taken down access to Firm GPA data, so I'm going to work on getting that. Some of the firms are interviewing for all offices, some I'll have to bid twice on to get both the CA & TX markets. Thoughts? Anyone have some GPA insights that could let me strike them off the list and not waste bids?

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Baker Botts - Austin/Dallas/Houston
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Haynes & Boone - Costa Mesa
Latham & Watkins - Orange County
Latham & Watkins - Houston
Littler - Dallas
Michelman & Robinson - Irvine
Orrick - Irvine
Polsinelli - Kansas City (very close to family)/Dallas
Sheppard Mullin - OC
Vinson & Elkins - Austin/Dallas/Houston
Winston & Strawn - Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Exclusive to OC:

With median grades you can pretty much erase Latham and Sheppard. Both firms Have pretty high GPA cutoffs. When I did OCI, Brown Rudnick only gave CBs to people with 3.9+. Allen Matkins seems like a pretty solid lifestyle firm but almost exclusively does Real Estate. I'd personally rank Michelman at the very bottom. It's a middle-market firm and I was not at all impressed with their interviews. Haynes had some sweet swag but I didn't interview with them. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the others.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sun May 07, 2017 10:58 pm

morningstar wrote:So here's a very preliminary bidding list (A-Z order only) based on my school's last year OCI/EIW attendees. For some reason, they've taken down access to Firm GPA data, so I'm going to work on getting that. Some of the firms are interviewing for all offices, some I'll have to bid twice on to get both the CA & TX markets. Thoughts? Anyone have some GPA insights that could let me strike them off the list and not waste bids?

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

When you're bidding TX (same goes for Chi). firms (from Boalt) I would suggest putting your family's address as your "home address" on your resume. Esp. if its your parents. I used my parents address for a market outside my school and found firms were receptive to it. Moreso than my local address.

morningstar

Bronze

Postby morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Exclusive to OC:

With median grades you can pretty much erase Latham and Sheppard. Both firms Have pretty high GPA cutoffs. When I did OCI, Brown Rudnick only gave CBs to people with 3.9+. Allen Matkins seems like a pretty solid lifestyle firm but almost exclusively does Real Estate. I'd personally rank Michelman at the very bottom. It's a middle-market firm and I was not at all impressed with their interviews. Haynes had some sweet swag but I didn't interview with them. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the others.

THANK YOU! This is exactly the kind of info i was hoping for!

foregetaboutdre wrote:
morningstar wrote:So here's a very preliminary bidding list (A-Z order only) based on my school's last year OCI/EIW attendees. For some reason, they've taken down access to Firm GPA data, so I'm going to work on getting that. Some of the firms are interviewing for all offices, some I'll have to bid twice on to get both the CA & TX markets. Thoughts? Anyone have some GPA insights that could let me strike them off the list and not waste bids?

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

When you're bidding TX (same goes for Chi). firms (from Boalt) I would suggest putting your family's address as your "home address" on your resume. Esp. if its your parents. I used my parents address for a market outside my school and found firms were receptive to it. Moreso than my local address.

Hrm....what if it's my inlaws and i'm well above the "living at home" age? It's not a straw connection, we have a baby on the way and have had very serious conversations about the merits of living in the Dallas area to be close to my in-laws so they can help with child care.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 07, 2017 11:06 pm

morningstar wrote:Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

This is not a good bid list.

First, OC offices tend to be quite small and niche-driven. There's nothing wrong with applying to three or four OC offices, but most of your SoCal bids should to LA offices, which have large summer classes.

Second, I'm skeptical of your decision to apply to so many Texas firms. You say you have family in Texas, but did you grow up there? If not, then the fact that you have family there isn't going to be viewed as a meaningful tie from the perspective of most Texas law firms. As with OC, there's nothing wrong with applying to a small handful of Texas offices, but you should not make it such a heavy focus.

Your current list is high risk. When you hear about an above-median student at a T13 striking out at OCI, it's often due to the sort of bidding strategy you're adopting. If I were you, here's how I'd break up my bid list:

10 Los Angeles Offices
4 Orange County Offices
3 Texas Offices
3 NYC Offices

morningstar

Bronze

Postby morningstar » Sun May 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Another thought...Berkeley does one of those non-standard grade scales, where 60-70% of the class gets a "P" for pass, and the rest get either an H (honors) or an HH (high honors). I wonder how this will figure in since we don't have an actual GPA to speak of.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sun May 07, 2017 11:12 pm

morningstar wrote:

THANK YOU! This is exactly the kind of info i was hoping for!

foregetaboutdre wrote:

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

Hrm....what if it's my inlaws and i'm well above the "living at home" age? It's not a straw connection, we have a baby on the way and have had very serious conversations about the merits of living in the Dallas area to be close to my in-laws so they can help with child care.

Up to you, but I would consider putting their address on their saying you are planning to relocate your family + S/O/child to Dallas after law school and will be staying with your inlaws until you find a place or something to that extent. it will also help if your S/O is from there.

I honestly think your ties are pretty good for TX (obviously not better than growing up there). But your ties to CA are likely better. If you are working in TX this summer I'd say it's getting close to as good as your CA ties.

Also I agree with the OC/LA thing. The small summer classes thing hurts when you have to really "fit" in the office. If the office is small sometimes it has a unique homogenous culture and they end up taking people "like them," where in LA they might just basically look at grades and your fit, albeit important, is not as important.
Last edited by foregetaboutdre on Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 07, 2017 11:13 pm

With median grades you can pretty much erase Latham and Sheppard. Both firms Have pretty high GPA cutoffs. When I did OCI, Brown Rudnick only gave CBs to people with 3.9+

OP: Be wary of accepting this kind of anecdotal advice. I don't know where our anon friend went to law school, but a Boalttt student doesn't need a 3.9 (or its equivalent) to get hired at a OC office of either of these firms. If you got a top-of-the-class award in Contracts plus a two or three more Hs, you're competitive at most CA offices.
Last edited by rpupkin on Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun May 07, 2017 11:14 pm

morningstar wrote:Another thought...Berkeley does one of those non-standard grade scales, where 60-70% of the class gets a "P" for pass, and the rest get either an H (honors) or an HH (high honors). I wonder how this will figure in since we don't have an actual GPA to speak of.

All CA law firms that have summer programs know how to read a Berkeley transcript.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Sun May 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

This is strange. If you want to target these different markets you need to massmail. I would drop Texas and focus on California and New York but I'm biased in favor of New York.
You also need to look into firms allowing you to bid in two offices, I think they want you to chose and bid one.
I also would start thinking about the answer to the question of where else you are interviewing because you need to show commitment to ties sensitive markets.
Don't bid your way out of a job.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Last edited by SmokeytheBear on Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Allen Matkins - Irvine mostly real estate
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Latham & Watkins - Orange County best all around firm in OC (mots other firms are concentrated in one area
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC most real estate finance repping banks, lots of employment, some IP

Based on my knowledge of the firms because I am in the area-ish, see bold

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 am

cron1834 wrote:More importantly, your school probably has the data that answers this for you. At my T14, we have access to data that tells us how many offers each firm made at the previous few rounds of OCI, and what the GPAs were like for those students. So, you can self-select with some information as to where you're a plausible candidate. Try to find something like that from your career office.

I posted this in your other thread, before I knew we were talking Berkeley. Still, there has to be some institutional knowledge equivalent, even if you don't have GPA as such. Does the career office really not give you anything to work with? That would be fairly shocking.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 am

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

I'll comment on the Texas firms.

First, there is a big difference between Dallas/Austin/Houston markets. Imo, it's not sufficient to simply say "I want Texas" to these places. Austin you can cross out entirely, you don't have the grades for it and there isn't that many summers in the entire city. Dallas and Houston are two very different cities, and if you treat them the same in interviews people won't believe you are truly committed to Texas. I would pick either Houston or Dallas and focus on firms with offices there. Your likely bet is Houston because summer classes are larger there, unless you have closer family ties to Dallas area, in which case go with Dallas.

Also, like others have posted, you need to look into bidding multiple offices of same firm. If one group of people is coming to your interview, it's pretty hard to sell them on "I really want to work for you guys in Kansas City, but I also really want to work in Dallas." Typically you pick one market/office for them and sell yourself for that.

As to specific firms:

-V&E: Don't waste a spot on V&E, you don't have the grades for it in any market.
-Baker Botts: probably don't have the grades for it, I'd also remove.

-Polsinelli: KC and Dallas are pretty different locales, see above for hard sell. Dallas has a small summer class too, i think 1-2.
-Littler: is all labor and employment stuff, just fyi if you weren't interested in that. Would not go to if you aren't actively pursing L&E
-Dechert: See above for not wasting time on Austin. Just won't happen.
-Alston and Bird/Fox Rotschild/Winston: fine. Also, Winston just opened up a Dallas office and they are big enough now they'll probably take summers next year, so that might be worth noting.

If these are the only Texas firms coming to your OCI, I would probably keep Polsinelli/Alston Bird/Fox Rothschild/Winston. Use the extra spots you have to bid some NYC firms (if you are biglaw or bust, you absolutely need some NYC in there) or more CA firms (b/c it looks like you want CA more than anything else.)

There are a TON of Dallas/Houston firms that you aren't on your list though that you should absolutely be including on a mass mailing campaign outside of OCI.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf This is a relatively recent list of Texas firms by size. Use it extensively to build a mass mail list. Don't worry about "grades" when you mass mail either, just blanket everyone.

morningstar

Bronze

Postby morningstar » Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 am

favabeansoup wrote:

Allen Matkins - Irvine
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Brown Rudnick - Irvine
Dechert - Irvine
Dechert - Austin
Fox Rothschild - Dallas
Littler - Dallas
Orrick - Irvine
Sheppard Mullin - OC

I'll comment on the Texas firms.

First, there is a big difference between Dallas/Austin/Houston markets. Imo, it's not sufficient to simply say "I want Texas" to these places. Austin you can cross out entirely, you don't have the grades for it and there isn't that many summers in the entire city. Dallas and Houston are two very different cities, and if you treat them the same in interviews people won't believe you are truly committed to Texas. I would pick either Houston or Dallas and focus on firms with offices there. Your likely bet is Houston because summer classes are larger there, unless you have closer family ties to Dallas area, in which case go with Dallas.

Also, like others have posted, you need to look into bidding multiple offices of same firm. If one group of people is coming to your interview, it's pretty hard to sell them on "I really want to work for you guys in Kansas City, but I also really want to work in Dallas." Typically you pick one market/office for them and sell yourself for that.

As to specific firms:

-V&E: Don't waste a spot on V&E, you don't have the grades for it in any market.
-Baker Botts: probably don't have the grades for it, I'd also remove.

-Polsinelli: KC and Dallas are pretty different locales, see above for hard sell. Dallas has a small summer class too, i think 1-2.
-Littler: is all labor and employment stuff, just fyi if you weren't interested in that. Would not go to if you aren't actively pursing L&E
-Dechert: See above for not wasting time on Austin. Just won't happen.
-Alston and Bird/Fox Rotschild/Winston: fine. Also, Winston just opened up a Dallas office and they are big enough now they'll probably take summers next year, so that might be worth noting.

If these are the only Texas firms coming to your OCI, I would probably keep Polsinelli/Alston Bird/Fox Rothschild/Winston. Use the extra spots you have to bid some NYC firms (if you are biglaw or bust, you absolutely need some NYC in there) or more CA firms (b/c it looks like you want CA more than anything else.)

There are a TON of Dallas/Houston firms that you aren't on your list though that you should absolutely be including on a mass mailing campaign outside of OCI.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf This is a relatively recent list of Texas firms by size. Use it extensively to build a mass mail list. Don't worry about "grades" when you mass mail either, just blanket everyone.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, it really helps. I'll definitely focus my TX search to Dallas only (my husband's entire family lives there, and as I mentioned we're very seriously considering the area so they can help with child care). Polsinelli is a tricky one, because I really am committed to both markets. My whole family is from KC, his whole family is from Dallas. Either would be a great fit. Is it okay to tell them that? Tell them I would prefer ___, but if I'm a better fit for ___ I'm open to that as well since that's where the other half of the family is?

This list is only the firms that do Berkeley OCI that have offices in Orange County or Texas. I'm definitely starting the spreadsheet for my mass mailing campaign, which will include EEEHHHHHVRYone (without duplicating needlessly to the same recruiter), but right now I'm wondering what my best bets for bidding on firms for OCI are.

Your advice helped me limit it significantly. Any recommendations on LA/NY firms I can supplement with that have large 2L classes and less-stringent GPA requirements?

Easterbork

Bronze

Postby Easterbork » Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 am

regarding a firm with offices in two markets you're interested in, I'd recommend checking NALP to see which office takes more SAs and target that one.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon May 08, 2017 6:08 am

I don't have any firm suggestions, but just wanted to say I'm really sorry for the loss of your child.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 am

Firms want you to pick a location. Being uncertain makes you seem uncommitted. They arent going to sort your life out for you. Figure out where you want to live the most. You should do this anyway because you may be at the firm only a couple of years and the firm shouldn't be your basis for choosing.

How did you create this list? What criteria and process did you use?

Return to “Legal Employment�