Is there a more efficient way to mass mail?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there a more efficient way to mass mail?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 pm

I am a little confused. How do people find time to mass mail to hundreds of employers? Emails are certainly a lot easier than what they used to do in the olden days, but it still must take hours and hours to do, just on the mechanics of it (never mind the research on the firms).

Is anyone aware of a platform or method to do the mailing more efficiently? It would be very helpful. Thank you!

swampman

Bronze

Re: Is there a more efficient way to mass mail?

Postby swampman » Sun May 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Mail merge for paper applications, there are similar email plugins. But yeah, it's time-intensive. Luckily unemployed = plenty of free time.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

In order to expedite the process, definitely learn mail merge in Word. That way you can just develop a spreadsheet with relevant info for every firm you want to apply, and create one cover letter that will automatically generate a properly formatted cover letter for every firm you want to apply to. It's still a lot of work to do the research and put together the spreadsheet, but it'll make the process of sending out resumes and cover letters much easier once you have a good process in place.

Mass mailing takes work, there are no two ways around it. Mail merge will really help cut down on your time for cover letter writing, and your resume really shouldn't change for employers, so once you've front-loaded the work of generating your employer spreadsheet, the process of sending out emails with resume and cover letter should be pretty efficient.

ETA: scooped

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Would you say that most people send out their application packets via email, as opposed to hardcopies printed on nice stationery? I am curious if the hardcopy route would be more effective, or if it's just a waste of time and money.

You mentioned an email plugin for mass mailing. I Googled but couldn't find anything that quite fits the bill. Could you please lead me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. This is a great forum.

P.S. UVA2B, the guy in your avatar -- is he one of the attorneys that represented Jason Young in NC? He looks very familiar.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Would you say that most people send out their application packets via email, as opposed to hardcopies printed on nice stationery? I am curious if the hardcopy route would be more effective, or if it's just a waste of time and money.

You mentioned an email plugin for mass mailing. I Googled but couldn't find anything that quite fits the bill. Could you please lead me in the right direction? Thank you in advance. This is a great forum.

P.S. UVA2B, the guy in your avatar -- is he one of the attorneys that represented Jason Young in NC? He looks very familiar.

Email for sure. Truncated cover letter in body, attach resume, transcript, possibly more full cover letter.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the quick replies, guys. Would you say that most people send out their application packets via email, as opposed to hardcopies printed on nice stationery? I am curious if the hardcopy route would be more effective, or if it's just a waste of time and money.

Most mass mailing these days in Biglaw firms will be via email to the recruiting director or whoever is listed on NALP for that firm's office. If you're talking small firms, the personal touch of sending hard copies could be more effective.

My avatar is Dean Strang, he represented Steven Avery of "Making a Murderer" fame and a recently famous UVA alum.

ETA: Getting scooped all over this thread. RaceJudicata nailed it

Return to “Legal Employment�