Can bad 2L grades affect offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can bad 2L grades affect offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 2:33 pm

My friend is a 2L at CCN and will be a summer associate at a V50-100 firm this summer. She doesn't have an account so I'm posting for her.

She doesn't think this semester is going to go well for her, so she wanted to know how badly she has to do 2L second semester before her firm will no-offer her for grades, or if she fails her 2L exams, how long can she realistically work this summer before her firm figures it out?

I always thought those schools don't really "fail" so any insight into that would be appreciated too. Thanks :mrgreen:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Can bad 2L grades affect offer?

Postby UVA2B » Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

Even considering above, this shouldn't really be a concern for her unless she has effectively lost good academic standing by her performance. Is she going to a firm that traditionally has a 100% offer rate? Will her GPA be so horrible as a result of one semester that she'll be put on academic probation?

Firms hire for 2L SA based off of grades; they offer permanent employment based on performance on the job. So your friend should be more concerned with doing good work for the firm. If she seems like an enthusiastic worker who will do well in the firm, they will only really care that she graduates and passes the bar.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat May 06, 2017 3:02 pm

I seriously doubt your "friend" can fail a class at CCN.

You would have to literally not show up to the exam to fail a class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 3:07 pm

dabigchina wrote:I seriously doubt your "friend" can fail a class at CCN.

You would have to literally not show up to the exam to fail a class.

Thanks. I clarified the OP. She doesn't have an account so she is just watching the thread. No reason to lie about the friend part since it's anonymous.

Return to “Legal Employment�