Is this an offer or just another interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is this an offer or just another interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm going to keep this vague so I don't out myself. A firm invited me for lunch in a few days, and I'm wondering if it's too early to start celebrating. I have already met with nearly everyone in the practice group over the course of multiple trips to the firm for interviews. My credentials are similar in many respects to their current associates. I have already interviewed with the people who are taking me to lunch.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I'm wondering if this is just another interview, or if it's an offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Anonymous User

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to keep this vague so I don't out myself. A firm invited me for lunch in a few days, and I'm wondering if it's too early to start celebrating. I have already met with nearly everyone in the practice group over the course of multiple trips to the firm for interviews. My credentials are similar in many respects to their current associates. I have already interviewed with the people who are taking me to lunch.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I'm wondering if this is just another interview, or if it's an offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
I had a similar situation with my current firm. I was convinced after speaking to everybody that the lunch would be an offer. It turns out that after a three hour lunch with the two partners, it was not an offer. I did however, get an offer a few days later.

My takeaway was that it was sort of a formality to see if they really, really liked you. I don't think they'd waste their time at lunch if you weren't one of their top, if not the top, choice.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Offers are typically emails, calls, or letters. In-person meetings or lunches tend to be extended interviews. Echoing the above that it likely means you're a top candidate though!
Last edited by TLSModBot on Thu May 04, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Agreed with others that this is just another round of interview. Perhaps they are on the fence and wanted a second look at you to get to know you more. Perform your best nonetheless and don't assume that it's an offer.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Don't chew with your mouth open.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Unless they call or email (or tell you in person once you get there I guess) you and explicitly state "we're pleased to offer you..." or something along those lines, it's not an offer. This is another interview and take it seriously.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Don't chew with your mouth open.
This. People often overlook etiquette.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Accidental anon above

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Thu May 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Even if they give you an offer on the spot, it'll likely be at the end of the lunch, not before. So treat it as your last chance to impress before they make a decision (whether that decision is within the lunch period or a few days after).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 04, 2017 3:37 pm

It's likely another interview, but it's not "just another interview." It's the kind of interview certain firms do when they've narrowed things down to two or three candidates (or maybe just one candidate) and want to decide whether you're the right fit.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Accidental anon above
:mrgreen:

I just wanted to add that although you do not yet have an offer, you have overcome several hurdles. I won't jinx it for you by saying you've got this, but I will tell you "break a leg!"*

*I no longer wish biglaw applicants "good luck" because I feel the interview process is more analogous to an actor auditioning for his/her breakout role.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:It's likely another interview, but it's not "just another interview." It's the kind of interview certain firms do when they've narrowed things down to two or three candidates (or maybe just one candidate) and want to decide whether you're the right fit.
Yeah, they wouldn't waste money on lunch if OP wasn't a top pick.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”