Is this an offer or just another interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm going to keep this vague so I don't out myself. A firm invited me for lunch in a few days, and I'm wondering if it's too early to start celebrating. I have already met with nearly everyone in the practice group over the course of multiple trips to the firm for interviews. My credentials are similar in many respects to their current associates. I have already interviewed with the people who are taking me to lunch.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I'm wondering if this is just another interview, or if it's an offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to keep this vague so I don't out myself. A firm invited me for lunch in a few days, and I'm wondering if it's too early to start celebrating. I have already met with nearly everyone in the practice group over the course of multiple trips to the firm for interviews. My credentials are similar in many respects to their current associates. I have already interviewed with the people who are taking me to lunch.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I'm wondering if this is just another interview, or if it's an offer.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!


I had a similar situation with my current firm. I was convinced after speaking to everybody that the lunch would be an offer. It turns out that after a three hour lunch with the two partners, it was not an offer. I did however, get an offer a few days later.

My takeaway was that it was sort of a formality to see if they really, really liked you. I don't think they'd waste their time at lunch if you weren't one of their top, if not the top, choice.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby TLSModBot » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Offers are typically emails, calls, or letters. In-person meetings or lunches tend to be extended interviews. Echoing the above that it likely means you're a top candidate though!
Last edited by TLSModBot on Thu May 04, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Jchance » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Agreed with others that this is just another round of interview. Perhaps they are on the fence and wanted a second look at you to get to know you more. Perform your best nonetheless and don't assume that it's an offer.

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu May 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Don't chew with your mouth open.

User avatar
Roy McAvoy

Bronze
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Roy McAvoy » Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Unless they call or email (or tell you in person once you get there I guess) you and explicitly state "we're pleased to offer you..." or something along those lines, it's not an offer. This is another interview and take it seriously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325089
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Don't chew with your mouth open.


This. People often overlook etiquette.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby Foghornleghorn » Thu May 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Don't chew with your mouth open.


This. People often overlook etiquette.


Accidental anon above

User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby elendinel » Thu May 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Even if they give you an offer on the spot, it'll likely be at the end of the lunch, not before. So treat it as your last chance to impress before they make a decision (whether that decision is within the lunch period or a few days after).

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5658
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby rpupkin » Thu May 04, 2017 3:37 pm

It's likely another interview, but it's not "just another interview." It's the kind of interview certain firms do when they've narrowed things down to two or three candidates (or maybe just one candidate) and want to decide whether you're the right fit.

B90

Silver
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby B90 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Don't chew with your mouth open.


This. People often overlook etiquette.


Accidental anon above

:mrgreen:

I just wanted to add that although you do not yet have an offer, you have overcome several hurdles. I won't jinx it for you by saying you've got this, but I will tell you "break a leg!"*

*I no longer wish biglaw applicants "good luck" because I feel the interview process is more analogous to an actor auditioning for his/her breakout role.

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Is this an offer or just another interview?

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:It's likely another interview, but it's not "just another interview." It's the kind of interview certain firms do when they've narrowed things down to two or three candidates (or maybe just one candidate) and want to decide whether you're the right fit.

Yeah, they wouldn't waste money on lunch if OP wasn't a top pick.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.