First Day Clothes/Beard

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: First Day Clothes/Beard

Postby lavarman84 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Nebby wrote:LJL that we're debating the difference between a backpack, duffel bag, and tote. They're all serve the same purpose, but one is more comfortable than the others. I personally don't understand why people willfully make their lives harder but this is a bort full of legal professionals so I'm not surprised.

Backpacks are a superior mode of luggage in 21st century urban America. Come at me

Nebby, just do you. Who cares what other people think? My old man is pushing 60 and still takes a backpack to work every day. Personally, I'd rather carry a backpack than a messenger bag (I think they look stupid).

Got it to 4 pages. Suck it, Zuck.
Last edited by lavarman84 on Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to be at a Business Casual firm this summer. How conservative do I need to be? Navy and Charcoal only or with bus. casual come a little more flexibility in colors? Not talking powder blue gameshow host style, but window pane jacket/camel hair etc.?

I would stear clear of snakeskin but ostrich and alligator boots should be totally fine

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri May 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to be at a Business Casual firm this summer. How conservative do I need to be? Navy and Charcoal only or with bus. casual come a little more flexibility in colors? Not talking powder blue gameshow host style, but window pane jacket/camel hair etc.?

Start with navy/charcoal then adjust. Safest bet.
I have insane amounts of flexibility here but I generally stick to various shades of gray (no pun intended) and blue, without going too light. Don't like camelhair color or anything like that. Grays and blues tend to be the most conservative colors that also generally look good on most people. But you don't have to stick with solids. Windowpane, glen plaid, etc. etc. are all fine as long as it's not a color scheme that pops so much it looks ridiculous. Even if you do solids, you can do sharkskin navy or something like that. But again, all that is after you start conservative and then adjust.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I would stear clear of snakeskin but ostrich and alligator boots should be totally fine

Alligator boots will definitely earn you partner respect in the South (and Texas).

tsmith88

New

Postby tsmith88 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

All depends on your type of beard bro. If you got a power beard, rock it. If your beard is mangy, gotta shave it.

Easy Drew Breezy.

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Fri May 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Suit/sport coat + backpack combo is so weird. Not only the backpack ruins the jacket fabric + shape, you'd look like a child trying to play dress up. Just don't.

Business casual (without any sort of jacket) is fine for backpacks. I've seen plenty of backpacks at firms/in courts, though just because people do it doesn't mean you should too, if you have any taste/style.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri May 05, 2017 2:37 pm

why the fuck would you wear a jacket if your firm is biz casual

business casual for guys = collared shirt and slacks/jeans/those cotton pants that people on the east coast love

albanach

Silver

Postby albanach » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Nebby wrote:Who the hell wears a suit everyday except for the suckers at S&C?

I do. With a tie.† ‡

† I'm in-house
‡ Except Fridays

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri May 05, 2017 3:00 pm

albanach wrote:

I do. With a tie.† ‡

† I'm in-house
‡ Except Fridays

why

albanach

Silver

Postby albanach » Fri May 05, 2017 4:00 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
albanach wrote:

I do. With a tie.† ‡

† I'm in-house
‡ Except Fridays

why

Office policy is business formal Monday-Thursday. Small price to pay for an in-house position straight out of school.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Fri May 05, 2017 4:16 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
kalvano wrote:There's a big difference between a $25 Jansport bag from Academy and a $150 Arcteryx business backpack, too.

False.

Your mom.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 pm

I think it's important to point out that OP will be summering in Texas. Some Texas firms are super formal/traditional and a beard would be frowned upon. Others are not and no one will care. I vote err on the side of caution for the first day, suit and shave. After that, do what other people do. It's not like he can't ditch his tie and jacket in his office after he gets there if he needs to.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm

kalvano wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
kalvano wrote:There's a big difference between a $25 Jansport bag from Academy and a $150 Arcteryx business backpack, too.

False.

Your mom.

Says you.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Yardbird wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:Shave to be on the safe side. Do you guys have some kind of sentimental attachment to your beards??
Some people prefer not to shave during playoffs.

hlsperson1111 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Nebby wrote:I would shave for the first day and then let it grow out from there.

Don't do this. It's fine to have a beard, but start with one or without one. Having a a few days growth during your first couple weeks on the job is not a good look.

I agree with this.

OP, here is a good test: go on your firm's website and find at least two people in your office with beards. If you can do it, I think you are good to go.
Current associate here. My firm photo is clean but I sport a beard or stubble most days (currently growing a full beard out). I’m rarely clean shaven to the point that people always comment when I am.

My firm photo is also clean-shaven, but I haven't been clean shaven since June 2015 (when I shaved my beard for a trial). I think this illustrates that finding two people whose photos have facial hair is a good test: odds are that some people who are clean shaven on the website will have facial hair, but not vice versa.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Fri May 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Start at a jog and build to a sprint. By the time you're wearing pink gingham shirts with royal glen plaid slacks, you'll have acculturated the office to your unique spirit.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 pm

I have a beard in Texas. No one has ever cared.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:

business casual for guys = collared shirt and slacks/jeans/those cotton pants that people on the east coast love

I doubt any east coast summer associates will be wearing jeans or colored chinos to the office (unless it's casual Friday or something). Collared shirt + slacks is the minimum at the vast majority of firms. Plus, even if you weren't required to wear slacks, wouldn't you want to look professional when you go to work? Apart from making you feel confident, looking professional shows that you care and helps give off a good impression. I just don't understand why anyone would show up to work in jeans, unless you are a rainmaker partner who can do whatever he/she wants.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 am

Moneytrees wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

I doubt any east coast summer associates will be wearing jeans or colored chinos to the office (unless it's casual Friday or something). Collared shirt + slacks is the minimum at the vast majority of firms. Plus, even if you weren't required to wear slacks, wouldn't you want to look professional when you go to work? Apart from making you feel confident, looking professional shows that you care and helps give off a good impression. I just don't understand why anyone would show up to work in jeans, unless you are a rainmaker partner who can do whatever he/she wants.

I wear shorts and a tee shirt to work. If firm culture says you can wear jeans, wear jeans.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Sat May 06, 2017 4:32 pm

kalvano wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

I wear shorts and a tee shirt to work. If firm culture says you can wear jeans, wear jeans.

You aren't as an SA, so why would it matter what you wear to work? Once you are an established lawyer and have street cred, then by all means, wear what you want. But if you are an SA, it would be a mistake to not to try to look professional and put together, even at "lifestyle" firms.

KMart

Gold

Postby KMart » Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:You've combined two TLS standards- Suit up first day? and Shave or no shave? These things are covered just about every other week on TLS but I've never seen them in the same thread before!

The correct answer is suit and shave. But this is TLS, so we'll probably argue about this for 3 pages or so.

+1 but we're already on four pages!

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

You aren't as an SA, so why would it matter what you wear to work? Once you are an established lawyer and have street cred, then by all means, wear what you want. But if you are an SA, it would be a mistake to not to try to look professional and put together, even at "lifestyle" firms.

My point is more follow firm culture. If firm culture is jeans and a polo on Fridays, then do that.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

This thread just don't die, dood.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

is a bag like this okay and is it weird if i hold it in my hand instead of placing it around my shoulder?

http://www.ebags.com/product/kenneth-co ... d=10494026

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Mon May 08, 2017 2:22 pm

^It's meant to be done either way. More common on shoulder than in hand though. The threshold for weird is pretty high.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Jchance wrote:^It's meant to be done either way. More common on shoulder than in hand though. The threshold for weird is pretty high.

Is it not standard to receive a laptop bag with your computer on your first day?

Return to “Legal Employment?