First Day Clothes/Beard

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Yardbird

Silver

Re: First Day Clothes/Beard

Postby Yardbird » Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 am

yogotti wrote:So, I am going to wear the following for my first day of SA:
Black suit, black shirt, no tie, no socks
Hello Kitty backpack
Allen Edmonds or Yeezy's

while I eat Cheezits that induce severe coughing fits.

Does that sound like everything will work out fine?
You should reconsider the cheezits, the crumbs will show on your black suit and black shirt.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 am

polareagle wrote:
Minnietron wrote:1) This is the best use of anon I've seen.
2) I say tie no suit is the way to go.

Got some future partners right here:

I imagined more of this:
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

There is a lawyer at the office I'm summering at who has a beard that just about goes down to his waist. Think my 5 o clock shadow will be acceptable.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a lawyer at the office I'm summering at who has a beard that just about goes down to his waist. Think my 5 o clock shadow will be acceptable.

Depends if that guy's so senior of a partner he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

But besides all the obvious trolling in this thread, it's all just about being smart and erring on the side of being conservative.

Still think people should look beyond Allen Edmonds for shoes these days though.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue May 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Messenger bag v backpack

Please show examples of messenger bags that are actually as functional as a backpack and don't just take on odd shapes when you put things in them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 8:08 pm

OP here

First day was today. Ended up going with suit/no beard. Everything went well. Thanks

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue May 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

First day was today. Ended up going with suit/no beard. Everything went well. Thanks

Great let's bury this thread under feet of earth and cement.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

Great let's bury this thread under feet of earth and cement.

If you were going to bury this thread under feet of earth and cement, would you rather carry the earth and cement to the job site in a backpack or a messenger bag?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 12:18 am

What's the consensus on smoking? It'd be pretty hard to quit for the summer. Also, does this change when it comes to events where people are drinking? A lot of people who don't smoke regular will smoke when drinking. I'd just hate to be ostracized.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus on smoking? It'd be pretty hard to quit for the summer. Also, does this change when it comes to events where people are drinking? A lot of people who don't smoke regular will smoke when drinking. I'd just hate to be ostracized.

In my experience, lawyers who smoke at law firms do so secretly. Occasionally, an associate will pull out a cigarette when headed to a bar after a firm dinner event that involved eating and drinking, but that's about as close you'll find to a lawyer smoking around others at my law firm.

If you're someone who likes/needs to take frequent smoke breaks during the day, it could be an issue.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:22 am

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus on smoking? It'd be pretty hard to quit for the summer. Also, does this change when it comes to events where people are drinking? A lot of people who don't smoke regular will smoke when drinking. I'd just hate to be ostracized.

In my experience, lawyers who smoke at law firms do so secretly. Occasionally, an associate will pull out a cigarette when headed to a bar after a firm dinner event that involved eating and drinking, but that's about as close you'll find to a lawyer smoking around others at my law firm.

If you're someone who likes/needs to take frequent smoke breaks during the day, it could be an issue.

I think this is heavily firm-dependent. I smoked probably 3-4 cigarettes a day when I started and have since quit. People knew I smoked and it was NBD (although some people gave me shit for it), but I wouldn't smoke around non-smokers and I think it would be considered very poor form to do so (unless it was like midnight and you were out drinking as a group). Sometimes people who smoked would take smoke breaks together, and I built a good social relationship with one partner that way.

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

Oh look a really well-respected dude that just made partner this year at my old, stodgy business formal firm is wearing a backpack into the office this morning. It's almost as if no one cares what kind of bag you carry...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 am

arklaw13 wrote:Oh look a really well-respected dude that just made partner this year at my old, stodgy business formal firm is wearing a backpack into the office this morning. It's almost as if no one cares what kind of bag you carry...

Of course no one cares. I think backpacks generally look dumb on adults. I've never said that therefore they shouldn't carry them if they like them better, though. I'd rather carry a few smaller bags than one honking one. I'm sure to some people that makes me look like a bag lady. Don't care.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed May 10, 2017 9:43 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:Oh look a really well-respected dude that just made partner this year at my old, stodgy business formal firm is wearing a backpack into the office this morning. It's almost as if no one cares what kind of bag you carry...

Of course no one cares. I think backpacks generally look dumb on adults. I've never said that therefore they shouldn't carry them if they like them better, though. I'd rather carry a few smaller bags than one honking one. I'm sure to some people that makes me look like a bag lady. Don't care.

Firm provided backpacks. Pretty sure this means we should all wear them everywhere we go right?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Wed May 10, 2017 12:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I can't even imagine what this looks like...

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed May 10, 2017 12:48 pm

6 pages. 6.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed May 10, 2017 12:52 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You've combined two TLS standards- Suit up first day? and Shave or no shave? These things are covered just about every other week on TLS but I've never seen them in the same thread before!

The correct answer is suit and shave. But this is TLS, so we'll probably argue about this for 3 300 pages or so.

Exhibit 1 evidencing TLS neuroticism:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480&start=1200
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 10, 2017 12:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:6 pages. 6.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:40 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You've combined two TLS standards- Suit up first day? and Shave or no shave? These things are covered just about every other week on TLS but I've never seen them in the same thread before!

The correct answer is suit and shave. But this is TLS, so we'll probably argue about this for 3 300 pages or so.

Exhibit 1 evidencing TLS neuroticism:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480&start=1200&hilit=pencil

I burst out laughing in the office reading this.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed May 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Lavitz wrote:
BigZuck wrote:6 pages. 6.

Let's prove the Russians wrong by ending this thread right now.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 10, 2017 1:50 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Purse for purse stuff, tote bag for other stuff. Maybe a duffle for gym stuff if I have a lot in the tote for some reason.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Purse for purse stuff, tote bag for other stuff. Maybe a duffle for gym stuff if I have a lot in the tote for some reason.

If only there were a larger, singular bag that easily slipped onto your back that could hold all of that stuff in one place, whilst simultaneously leaving your hands free for other things - think how amazing that would be.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Nah. I don't want carry stuff on my back; it doesn't work with my clothes, it gets sweaty, and I prefer a few lighter bags to one big heavy one where everything I need invariably falls to the bottom.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Is it acceptable to wear a polo/slacks to work if you tuck in the polo?

Return to “Legal Employment?