First Day Clothes/Beard Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: First Day Clothes/Beard

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it acceptable to wear a polo/slacks to work if you tuck in the polo?
Look around the office and observe how others dress. You'll have your answer.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu May 11, 2017 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it acceptable to wear a polo/slacks to work if you tuck in the polo?
in more casual offices, polos and golf shirts are fine. I think polos look super weird tucked in though. Almost as weird as when serial killers button their polos up to the top button. I wear polos and jeans often, never tucked.

Above advice is correct if you're new - see if anyone else does first, if so, you're good to go

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Post by mercymainbtw » Thu May 11, 2017 2:18 am

Don't just follow what others are doing -- they might be on their way out the door. If you see someone in a polo, ask if they are on partner track first before you emulate their dress.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 am

7!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
in more casual offices, polos and golf shirts are fine. I think polos look super weird tucked in though. Almost as weird as when serial killers button their polos up to the top button. I wear polos and jeans often, never tucked.

Above advice is correct if you're new - see if anyone else does first, if so, you're good to go
Polos in any business setting look weird unless you're an overweight 60-something partner stopping in before an afternoon of golf. Even then it looks weird, but you can overlook it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the consensus on smoking? It'd be pretty hard to quit for the summer. Also, does this change when it comes to events where people are drinking? A lot of people who don't smoke regular will smoke when drinking. I'd just hate to be ostracized.
In my experience, lawyers who smoke at law firms do so secretly. Occasionally, an associate will pull out a cigarette when headed to a bar after a firm dinner event that involved eating and drinking, but that's about as close you'll find to a lawyer smoking around others at my law firm.

If you're someone who likes/needs to take frequent smoke breaks during the day, it could be an issue.
I think this is heavily firm-dependent. I smoked probably 3-4 cigarettes a day when I started and have since quit. People knew I smoked and it was NBD (although some people gave me shit for it), but I wouldn't smoke around non-smokers and I think it would be considered very poor form to do so (unless it was like midnight and you were out drinking as a group). Sometimes people who smoked would take smoke breaks together, and I built a good social relationship with one partner that way.
You could try using chewing tobacco or snus as they would be more discreet. With some of the snus that is available on the market now, no spitting is necessary.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 am

BigZuck wrote:7!
Real talk why hasn't this thread died and just moved to the SA thread?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
Because one's first day at a firm won't necessarily be as a summer associate.

Also, lol @ singling out this thread as an example of TLS futility. This thread is infinitely more useful than every "Rankings" thread ever created, and those never seem to stay under 30 pages. In terms of usefulness, this thread is around the TLS median.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 11, 2017 1:12 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:
Because one's first day at a firm won't necessarily be as a summer associate.

Also, lol @ singling out this thread as an example of TLS futility. This thread is infinitely more useful than every "Rankings" thread ever created, and those never seem to stay under 30 pages. In terms of usefulness, this thread is around the TLS median.
Retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu May 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

Polos in any business setting look weird unless you're an overweight 60-something partner stopping in before an afternoon of golf. Even then it looks weird, but you can overlook it.
says the loser fuck who anons to talk shit about polos. See me bro. Bet I'm more WAY more jacked and pull 100x more bitches than you. enjoy ur suit and tie and 190 pound wife u come home to at 11pm every night

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

says the loser fuck who anons to talk shit about polos. See me bro. Bet I'm more WAY more jacked and pull 100x more bitches than you. enjoy ur suit and tie and 190 pound wife u come home to at 11pm every night
Definitely a CovingTTTon bro.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:

Do insurance sales and working at Best Buy not count as "business settings"?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”