Abusive Work Enviroments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Abusive Work Enviroments

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 am

I work in an abusive work environment. There is a lot of yelling, bulling and threats of termination. This is par for the course at the firm.

It is not atypical to be called a moron at my work if they have any comments on your work product.

Is this normal for all law firms? Should I lateral or just leave the profession.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Abusive Work Enviroments

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 am

Not normal. Get out ASAP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 7:21 am

I lateraled in nearly a year ago. Worried about job hoping.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 am

This is not even a little bit normal. I know of several firms that do 360 reviewing and actively and publicly shame bad partner supervisors to try and prevent this exact thing. Not all firms are that way but most seem WAY better than what you're describing OP

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I lateraled in nearly a year ago. Worried about job hoping.
I mean, it's not ideal to move that quickly but I don't see any downside in at least trying to get out now. This sounds like an exceptionally toxic environment and I wouldn't prolong it based on some hypothetical concern about your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I lateraled in nearly a year ago. Worried about job hoping.
Honestly, this concern is outdated. I've had four jobs in four years since graduating law school and sure, some firms that can have anyone have passed on me after I couldn't explain away why I've been so many places, but most jobs haven't given two fucks as long as I had a reasonable answer as to why I have had so many jobs.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue May 02, 2017 10:58 am

GTFO. Start spamming your application materials. Reach out to alumni. Work with recruiters.

It is unacceptable behavior to use the word "moron" in the office. It is unacceptable to bully anyone in the office. It is further unacceptable to threaten to replace you for minor errors. We are professionals. Professionals do not resort to these childish tactics.

I suspect, however, that the comments being made about your work product (or you as a person) are about really petty things that only self-obsessed and arrogant lawyers care about. Like, whether you're using the word "therefore" or "thus" to start a sentence. Or, whether to right-justify your documents versus left-justify. Who cares. Get over yourself.

To be clear, if you're being unethical and/or consistently committing malpractice, then that's a different story. But in that scenario, you're probably just going to be fired without the threat.

Nothing fires me up more than hearing about abusive work environments where these lawyers who think and act like they are "God's gift" to mankind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Yes. It is for line edits mostly. Phrasing. Maybe a typo.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. It is for line edits mostly. Phrasing. Maybe a typo.
There is no scenario in which you are allowed to call someone a "moron" in response to such minor errors. In fact, there is no scenario where you should be allowed to call anyone a moron. Period.

Unacceptable behavior. You know the best way to correct that stuff? The partner should turn on track changes, and make the changes. Then, shoot a quick email to the associate and say, "Generally pretty good. Made a few changes throughout. Take a look at the red-line edits. Caught a few typos. Be sure to proof it carefully before it goes out. Thanks."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm

The thing about job hopping is that it's not an issue until it is. And once it is an issue, you just stop job hopping.

And it sounds like your work environment couldn't possibly be any worse, so you might as well try.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue May 02, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm guessing you're at a small firm. If that's the case, this kind of thing is pretty common. Not sure how you avoid it, because partners obviously don't let on in the interview. If you can find someone with an "in" to the firm that'd be great, but fat chance right?

If you're at a large firm, I've never run into this behavior, and I think it is not at all common, so if you're at a large firm, IMO if you lateraled you have a pretty good chance of getting away from it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm

S&C?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Elite boutique.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Elite boutique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work in an abusive work environment. There is a lot of yelling, bulling and threats of termination. This is par for the course at the firm.

It is not atypical to be called a moron at my work if they have any comments on your work product.

Is this normal for all law firms? Should I lateral or just leave the profession.
Not normal. You should find a new firm.

I had a similar experience with a partner at my old firm. He would basically cycle through associates (who quit after a year or two) while complaining that "his" associates were leaving.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Elite boutique.
Are there other partners you can work with who are more pleasant? I mean, it's abundantly clear that you need to lateral out, but in the interim, maybe there's a way to make your daily work life more bearable.

Unless you're at a super small boutique and all of the work comes from one partner.

Also, what kind of boutique firm? IP-lit? Class-action lit? Start thinking of ways to market yourself to a new employer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”