Missing Time 2 Months Into Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missing Time 2 Months Into Employment

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi all, could really use your guidance here:

I'll be starting at my firm in October (biglaw in NY if it matters- fairly uptight), and I have an obligation I absolutely must attend to the second week of December. The absolute minimum amount of time I can miss would be Thurs-Mon. I'm already quite nervous as I've heard first-years barely take any vacation (or none at all), and I'd be missing time so soon after I start.

Would it be wise to tell them right away, or should I wait till November so it doesn't seem like I'm pulling the whole "Nice to meet you, btw I'm planning on going on vacation..."

Or am I overthinking this? Not flame (apologize if this is a stupid question), but I've worked quite hard to get to this point and want to make sure I don't step on any toes.

Thanks!

redsox550

Re: Missing Time 2 Months Into Employment

Postby redsox550 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all, could really use your guidance here:

I'll be starting at my firm in October (biglaw in NY if it matters- fairly uptight), and I have an obligation I absolutely must attend to the second week of December. The absolute minimum amount of time I can miss would be Thurs-Mon. I'm already quite nervous as I've heard first-years barely take any vacation (or none at all), and I'd be missing time so soon after I start.

Would it be wise to tell them right away, or should I wait till November so it doesn't seem like I'm pulling the whole "Nice to meet you, btw I'm planning on going on vacation..."

Or am I overthinking this? Not flame (apologize if this is a stupid question), but I've worked quite hard to get to this point and want to make sure I don't step on any toes.

Thanks!

I actually don't think this will be an issue at all if it is just Thursday to Monday. Even less likely an issue if you are able to check email during that time. I think either way you are fine. Regarding whether to wait or not, I think its a judgment call that partly depends on the reason you will tell the firm you have to be away (it could be as vague as "due to personal reasons blah blah"). Either way I highly doubt this will be an issue.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Former NYC Big Law associate here. Totally not a big deal -- unless that week happens to be the week you have a trial or something. But I would (1) err on the side of taking a few days rather than a week and (2) raise it fairly early with your supervisor to allow them to plan accordingly.

Btw, the days you'd take as vacation would likely be subtracted from your 2018 vacation days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Lincoln wrote:Former NYC Big Law associate here. Totally not a big deal -- unless that week happens to be the week you have a trial or something. But I would (1) err on the side of taking a few days rather than a week and (2) raise it fairly early with your supervisor to allow them to plan accordingly.

Btw, the days you'd take as vacation would likely be subtracted from your 2018 vacation days.

OP here, thanks for the advice guys! Yea I'd only be taking Thurs, Fri,& Mon off (assuming sat and sun doesn't count), and since I didn't even plan on being able to take a vacation my first year, I'm certainly not upset about losing a few vacation days!

Thanks for making me feel better about this! Is there anything else you guys think I should keep in mind?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon May 01, 2017 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Former NYC Big Law associate here. Totally not a big deal -- unless that week happens to be the week you have a trial or something. But I would (1) err on the side of taking a few days rather than a week and (2) raise it fairly early with your supervisor to allow them to plan accordingly.

OP here, thanks for the advice guys! Yea I'd only be taking Thurs, Fri,& Mon off (assuming sat and sun doesn't count), and since I didn't even plan on being able to take a vacation my first year, I'm certainly not upset about losing a few vacation days!

Thanks for making me feel better about this! Is there anything else you guys think I should keep in mind?

Try your best to have access to email on Thursday and Friday if you are able. Not the whole day but just some time to be able to do quick responses to anything you might be needed on and you'll be fine

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You absolutely can take vacation as a first year. If anything, you're easy to replace. Someone more senior will be missed/has a higher chance of having to work during vacation.

Return to “Legal Employment�