Question re: firm paying for spouse transportation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question re: firm paying for spouse transportation

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm

The firm I'll be summering for says they "pay to transport you and ... your spouse ... from and to the city in which you are attending law school." My spouse will only be able to visit me for about five or so days this summer. Will the firm view it as acceptable/OK if they pay for my spouse's transportation cost for this five-day visit, or will it raise a penny-pinching red flag?

If this is at all weird I'm happy to cover the cost myself, but I wanted to check with former summers/current associates before plunking down the $300 or so dollars.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Question re: firm paying for spouse transportation

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:06 pm

They mean the cost for you to relocate (round trip flight from LA to NYC, mileage reimbursement if you drive, etc. but not moving costs, usually). It's not for your spouse to visit you. Though if your spouse comes with you at the same time and leaves 5 days later, you could submit that ticket for reimbursement, just don't tell anyone your spouse left for the summer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm I'll be summering for says they "pay to transport you and ... your spouse ... from and to the city in which you are attending law school." My spouse will only be able to visit me for about five or so days this summer. Will the firm view it as acceptable/OK if they pay for my spouse's transportation cost for this five-day visit, or will it raise a penny-pinching red flag?

It won't raise a "penny-pinching" flag. But it may raise a "this summer associate can't understand a simple policy" flag. Don't do this.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The firm I'll be summering for says they "pay to transport you and ... your spouse ... from and to the city in which you are attending law school." My spouse will only be able to visit me for about five or so days this summer. Will the firm view it as acceptable/OK if they pay for my spouse's transportation cost for this five-day visit, or will it raise a penny-pinching red flag?

It won't raise a "penny-pinching" flag. But it may raise a "this summer associate can't understand a simple policy" flag. Don't do this.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm

OP here. Thanks for all the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment�