Wilmer DC v. Hueston Hennigan LA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choice

HH LA
50%
WH DC
50%

Total votes: 18

lolwat

Silver

Re: Wilmer DC v. Hueston Hennigan LA

Postby lolwat » Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm

I'll echo the comments about how strange this question is.

If you're looking for litigation and/or actually looking to stick around in SoCal, and you're not just looking to coast for a few years and leave, I'd choose HH over WilmerHale and never look back. (You'd likely still have good exit options from HH, but boutiques are not where people go to hide out and collect paychecks for a few years before leaving with a good resume line.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 1:01 pm

lolwat wrote:I'll echo the comments about how strange this question is.

If you're looking for litigation and/or actually looking to stick around in SoCal, and you're not just looking to coast for a few years and leave, I'd choose HH over WilmerHale and never look back. (You'd likely still have good exit options from HH, but boutiques are not where people go to hide out and collect paychecks for a few years before leaving with a good resume line.)

Thanks for the input. I realize the question was a strange one and that I have been particularly unhelpful as OP.

Building off the analogy above, I'll just try to defend why I made this thread (though the comments have made me realize how stupid the whole thing is). Someone compared my choice to asking whether to go to Stanford GSB or YLS, in that it totally depends on personal preference and career goals. I was looking for a sanity check to make sure that the choice really was between two options that come down to personal preference, because there are obviously some times that different doesn't necessarily mean things are impossible to compare. For example, if someone asked if they should go to YLS or, say, Pepperdine's Business School, you might tell them that the prudent thing to do would be to go to YLS almost regardless of what they wanted to do. And I realize that the spread between HH or WH, no matter which you think is better, is no where near the difference in the last hypo (but I also think the initial inquiry wasn't quite as absurd as asking YLS v. the GSB).

Anyway, thanks for indulging my dumb question.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm

beepboopbeep

Silver

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm

That's fair OP, and I think you're reading the thread correctly.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Building off the analogy above, I'll just try to defend why I made this thread (though the comments have made me realize how stupid the whole thing is). Someone compared my choice to asking whether to go to Stanford GSB or YLS, in that it totally depends on personal preference and career goals. I was looking for a sanity check to make sure that the choice really was between two options that come down to personal preference, because there are obviously some times that different doesn't necessarily mean things are impossible to compare. For example, if someone asked if they should go to YLS or, say, Pepperdine's Business School, you might tell them that the prudent thing to do would be to go to YLS almost regardless of what they wanted to do. And I realize that the spread between HH or WH, no matter which you think is better, is no where near the difference in the last hypo (but I also think the initial inquiry wasn't quite as absurd as asking YLS v. the GSB).

Sorry for being snippy with you upthread; I was genuinely exasperated. I'll try to be helpful by offering a couple of speculative examples.

As you suggest, there are certain professional choices where abstract notions of prestige could conceivably be dispositive. You do not face one of those choices. Your choice here is entirely career-goal dependent. If your medium-term/long-term goal is to lateral into a federal government agency in DC, then Wilmer DC is unquestionably the better choice. f your goal is to be an AUSA, then HH is the better choice. If your goal is to lay low "chilling and billing" for as long as you can until you're pushed out, then WH is the better choice. If your goal is to develop litigation skills (say, with an eye toward being a partner at a firm someday), then HH is the better choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry for being snippy with you upthread; I was genuinely exasperated. I'll try to be helpful by offering a couple of speculative examples.

As you suggest, there are certain professional choices where abstract notions of prestige could conceivably be dispositive. You do not face one of those choices. Your choice here is entirely career-goal dependent. If your medium-term/long-term goal is to lateral into a federal government agency in DC, then Wilmer DC is unquestionably the better choice. f your goal is to be an AUSA, then HH is the better choice. If your goal is to lay low "chilling and billing" for as long as you can until you're pushed out, then WH is the better choice. If your goal is to develop litigation skills (say, with an eye toward being a partner at a firm someday), then HH is the better choice.

Thanks, and your snippety responses actually helped to confirm that this choice is about taste preference and wouldn't be a mistake either way. (Not that I necessarily thought it was, again, just wanted a bit of a sanity check.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 02, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Glad we can help, then!

Return to “Legal Employment�