Summer Associate Class of 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
7%
LA
6%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 256

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 am

Npret wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Npret wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote: Don't wanna be that guy eating a dessert alone while attorneys are just sitting there.

I'm like this with family even

I never let manners/awkwardness get in the way of dessert. Never. If you are, however, worried about eating dessert alone, have it come with your meal.

I've never seen anyone do this in NYC. Have you ever done this? Most tables don't have enough room for everything that's there already. Why bring an extra plate to make it more crowded.

Just don't get dessert. It's crazy making that people who obsess about what to wear the first day would be blasé about social faux pas.

(Minnie is joking.)

Thank for clarifying. I thought the SAs were too literal but it turns out I am as well.

No, no, it is usually a safe bet in this thread.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:48 am

Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Yes, joking... Speaking of what to wear on the first day, can I wear tan shoes if my watch strap is black? If it matters, I think my nails will have a clear coat. Also, my bag will be reddish.

depends, are you socks black or dark grey? What color is the lining of the bag?

Shoot. I didn't even think about how the socks would play. I was going with navy blue. I might have to scrap the whole project and start over. Where do I begin?

Always match your socks to your shoes. Seriously.
Also, by "reddish," do you mean crimson or cardinal?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun May 07, 2017 1:05 am

B90 wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:
Minnietron wrote:Yes, joking... Speaking of what to wear on the first day, can I wear tan shoes if my watch strap is black? If it matters, I think my nails will have a clear coat. Also, my bag will be reddish.

Shoot. I didn't even think about how the socks would play. I was going with navy blue. I might have to scrap the whole project and start over. Where do I begin?

That's the worst sartorial advice I've ever seen given. What does marching socks to shoes even mean?

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:22 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
B90 wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:

That's the worst sartorial advice I've ever seen given. What does marching socks to shoes even mean?

Not sure what "marching socks" are...although they seem more appropriate for first year associates.

Your socks should be the same color as your shoes. If you wear black shoes, you wear black socks. No one is actually supposed to SEE your socks. However, if you cross your legs and inadvertently reveal a swatch of sock, :shock: this will protect others (namely partners, assuming you are allowed to SIT in their presence) from being visually assalted by an OBVIOUS swatch of sock. The sock should be an extension of the shoe.

axel.foley

Bronze

Postby axel.foley » Sun May 07, 2017 1:47 am

B90 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
B90 wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:

Not sure what "marching socks" are...although they seem more appropriate for first year associates.

Your socks should be the same color as your shoes. If you wear black shoes, you wear black socks. No one is actually supposed to SEE your socks. However, if you cross your legs and inadvertently reveal a swatch of sock, :shock: this will protect others (namely partners, assuming you are allowed to SIT in their presence) from being visually assalted by an OBVIOUS swatch of sock. The sock should be an extension of the shoe.

I've always heard the opposite: That socks are an extension of your pants and should match pant color, not your shoe color.

It's issues like this that make me sure I chose the right profession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Sorry for the confusion guys. We don't have a $25 lunch budget here in LA. I read the email wrong. It's actually $20. :shock:

Anon because I think we're at the same firm. Which, if it is the case, is bullshit because our PPP is north of $3M and all of our financial metrics rose by ~10% this past year. What's the point of AmLaw calling us one of the Super Rich firms if we have a TTT lunch budget in LA? :cry:

Different anon and definitely at the same firm. $20 is weak. And the $40 special lunch and $8 T/Th snack run doesn't make up for it. But whatever. I'll keep our bonus system.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun May 07, 2017 2:26 am

axel.foley wrote:
B90 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
B90 wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:

I've always heard the opposite: That socks are an extension of your pants and should match pant color, not your shoe color.

Neither is right and neither is wrong. Sock color doesn't actually matter--just don't wearing anything crazy or offensive to the eye. Just match your belt to shoe and you're good to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 am

No, match your socks to your pants. It makes your legs look longer, rather than your feet larger.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:No, match your socks to your pants. It makes your legs look longer, rather than your feet larger.

At the risk of sounding super creepy, I am curious anon, what is your gender?
Also was this an accidental anon? :wink:

I am a girl with freakishly small feet, so I actually do try to make my feet look bigger. Also, I wear heels to make my legs look longer.
Obviously I don't wear socks with heels. Just with flats when I wear pants. In court, I always wear skirts.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:36 am

axel.foley wrote:
B90 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
B90 wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Gray wrote:

You actually heard correctly. I was being sarcastistic by switching it to emphasize the shoes. I was referencing the obsession with discussing appropriate shoes in these fora.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Sun May 07, 2017 9:16 am

If socks are meant to be innocuous in case of inadvertent exposure, does this mean my undies should be too? If so, what constitutes neutral undies: flesh, black, white, navy, or match shoes/belt?
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun May 07, 2017 9:38 am

Minnietron wrote:If socks are meant to be innocuous in case of inadvertent exposure, does this mean my undies should be too? If so, what constitutes neutral undies: flesh, black, white, navy, or match shoes/belt?

I did a black lacey number with garters to drive the fellas nuts

But I don't know what women should wear sorry

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2017 10:36 am

Minnietron wrote:If socks are meant to be innocuous in case of inadvertent exposure, does this mean my undies should be too? If so, what constitutes neutral undies: flesh, black, white, navy, or match shoes/belt?

Might just go with red stretchy errrday. I call them my comfy-dence panties.

ETA: accidental anon
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Postby arklaw13 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am

And here I've been wearing my sock of the month club socks without regard to my pant or shoe color for months now. Good thing I wasn't hoping to make partner.

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:28 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:

I did a black lacey number with garters to drive the fellas nuts

But I don't know what women should wear sorry

Minnie:
I don't assume gender. Do you identify as a woman?
If so, your undergarment choice will vary depending on the circumstance. Basically, like everything else in the law, "it depends."
First, we will begin with vocabulary. The term undies is unacceptable. Undergarments is safe, but not specific. Here, you must know your audience. If you in the presence of one or more persons who were born before 1940, you should use the term unmentionables. According to my AP US History teacher at [prestigous high school], that is the term that was used during the industrial revolution is is therefore most appropriate at white shoe firms.
As far as color, your undergarments should blend into your skintone, particularly if you are wearing a white or light colored blouse. In the same way that your bra (or brassiere, if you are over 50) should match your skin, so too should your underpants (undies as you so vulgerly referred to them). This is why navy bras and light pink bras exist. People with dark skin are rarely actually black and pale people are not white, or even beige. Don't even get me started with flesh tone; unless you are literally Barbie, you are not flesh colored.

nick417

Bronze

Postby nick417 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Do you know what is funny.... by the time you SAs become associates, you will realize that no one really cares how you dress. You will all look back on stressing over suit first day, or other frivolous wardrobe stuff and laugh.

Here is a good piece of advice: dress formal first day(suit) and then EVERY OTHER DAY mirror what the associates are wearing to work.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun May 07, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm having a hard time deciding whether B90 is being whooshed or if he is just committing really hard

I think he's joking. If he is, can we leave the sarcastic dress-obsessed dead horse be.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:00 pm

nick417 wrote:Here is a good piece of advice: dress formal first day(suit) and then EVERY OTHER DAY mirror what the associates are wearing to work.
Jokes on you the first day the summers get here I'll be in full tux, tails, and top hat.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Sun May 07, 2017 1:02 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding whether B90 is being whooshed or if he is just committing really hard

I think he's joking. If he is, can we leave the sarcastic dress-obsessed dead horse be.

B90 wrote:I am a girl with freakishly small feet, so I actually do try to make my feet look bigger. Also, I wear heels to make my legs look longer.
Obviously I don't wear socks with heels. Just with flats when I wear pants. In court, I always wear skirts.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding whether B90 is being whooshed or if he is just committing really hard

B90 wrote:I am a girl with freakishly small feet, so I actually do try to make my feet look bigger. Also, I wear heels to make my legs look longer.

PnJ doesn't believe women on the internet are real; there are just some really committed trolls

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun May 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Sometimes I marvel at the fact that there was a time when Cap was not considered a TLS treasure.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun May 07, 2017 2:41 pm

So shes's being whooshed

Or maybe not?

B90

Silver

Postby B90 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:59 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:So shes's being whooshed

Or maybe not?

I am being sarcastic.
The fashion etiquette rule(s) that I cite are legit. there are a few people who follow them, but that generation is dying off.
I am joking about following them. When I am bored in a meeting, I actually do notice if someone is wearing patterned socks, but rather than judge them, it makes me smile and think hey, this person has a personality. :wink:

clshopeful

Bronze

Postby clshopeful » Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm

all my socks are striped/polka dots :)

RareExports

Silver

Postby RareExports » Sun May 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Asked this on an earlier page and got a response, but looking to hear more opinions, because I have heard conflicting responses. Is a four-in-hand tie knot considered too casual? What is the preferred tie knot, and are any common tie knots unacceptable? Someone told me Windsor was the only way to go, but others have said it is too formal.

Return to “Legal Employment?