Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Moneytrees wrote:For guys, why not just wear a suit without a tie to the office? If your office has a casual atmosphere you can always just take your jacket off once you get to work. You can stash a few ties at the office in case you need them and not have to worry about ever being under-dressed.

I don't really see why that wouldn't be the play. Are people just dying to wear khakis or what?
It's pretty miserable wearing a suit jacket in the summer in Texas. Can't speak for other areas of the country though.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:For guys, why not just wear a suit without a tie to the office? If your office has a casual atmosphere you can always just take your jacket off once you get to work. You can stash a few ties at the office in case you need them and not have to worry about ever being under-dressed.

I don't really see why that wouldn't be the play. Are people just dying to wear khakis or what?
It's pretty miserable wearing a suit jacket in the summer in Texas. Can't speak for other areas of the country though.
This might be a fine play, but I also question the decision to dress up when the convention is not to do that. Socially, it might be a bit offensive to the partners if you are wearing a suit to the office and they are showing up in khakis and a shirt. People are weird.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

This might be a fine play, but I also question the decision to dress up when the convention is not to do that. Socially, it might be a bit offensive to the partners if you are wearing a suit to the office and they are showing up in khakis and a shirt. People are weird.
Yeah, I agree. It's all situation/firm culture specific, and I took the original comment to mean "why doesn't everyone everywhere just do this?" Could be wrong though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 4:04 pm

How bad do we have to fuck up to get no-offered? Assuming its a 100% offer firm.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm convinced the "conventional wisdom" to wear a suit and shave the first day is just so we can laugh at summers.
Last edited by LaLiLuLeLo on Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I'm convinced the "convential wisdom" to wear a suit and shave the first day is just so we can laugh at summers.
Agreed.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How bad do we have to fuck up to get no-offered? Assuming its a 100% offer firm.
what is even with this question? what are you expecting to hear that you didn't know when you made your firm decision that you presumably made based in part on 100% offer rate

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu May 04, 2017 4:27 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Wearing dress pants and a dress shirt (which is what you would be wearing after you take off the jacket) is not really dressing up though. I guess you could leave the jacket at the office if you live somewhere where it gets unbearably hot?

My east coast firm is not formal by any means, but I would probably look out of place if I didn't wear a nice pair of dress pants. Kakhis and button up just screams real estate agent/high school administrator to me, but I guess every part of the country is different when it comes to formalwear.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Wearing dress pants and a dress shirt (which is what you would be wearing after you take off the jacket) is not really dressing up though. I guess you could leave the jacket at the office if you live somewhere where it gets unbearably hot?

My east coast firm is not formal by any means, but I would probably look out of place if I didn't wear a nice pair of dress pants. Kakhis and button up just screams real estate agent/high school administrator to me, but I guess every part of the country is different when it comes to formalwear.
Then I guess 75% of the AmLaw 100 partners in California are closet real estate agents/high school administrators.

There certainly is a difference between slacks and khakis, and I dont just mean cotton to wool. I think if you have your khakis creased, you're basically there. Personally, I prefer khakis to slacks because slacks feel too formal and a bit stodgy. I also don't like the dry cleaning bill associated with slacks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Then I guess 75% of the AmLaw 100 partners in California are closet real estate agents/high school administrators.

There certainly is a difference between slacks and khakis, and I dont just mean cotton to wool. I think if you have your khakis creased, you're basically there. Personally, I prefer khakis to slacks because slacks feel too formal and a bit stodgy. I also don't like the dry cleaning bill associated with slacks.
I have no doubt that 75% of AmLaw partners in California look like real estate agents.

Also, keep in mind that just because a partner is wearing baggy kakhis and a polo, it doesn't mean you should. I'm not saying you should wear 3 piece suit and tie to work, but wearing a nice pair of slacks is not "stodgy" and is much more professional than khakis.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I have no doubt that 75% of AmLaw partners in California look like real estate agents.

Also, keep in mind that just because a partner is wearing baggy kakhis and a polo, it doesn't mean you should. I'm not saying you should wear 3 piece suit and tie to work, but wearing a nice pair of slacks is not "stodgy" and is much more professional than khakis.
Hah ok, kid. No one said anything about a baggy polo. Khakis and a pressed oxford.

Also, pressed and creased khakis with a pressed blue oxford look 1000 times more professional than baggy striped slacks and a checkered shirt from brooks brothers--looks like a friggin optical illusion.

Check back in once you've worked a day as an attorney.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 5:01 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Hah ok, kid. No one said anything about a baggy polo. Khakis and a pressed oxford.

Also, pressed and creased khakis with a pressed blue oxford look 1000 times more professional than baggy striped slacks and a checkered shirt from brooks brothers--looks like a friggin optical illusion.

For realsies though, 75% of this sartorial crap is just opinion. Obviously don't show up to the office looking like Marky Mark or Jeffrey Lebowski (the other Jeffrey Lebowski).

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu May 04, 2017 5:12 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

As you said, it's really a matter of style/opinion. I agree with you that fit is as important as what you are actually wearing. I disagree with your advice in that Imo slacks + oxford is a great look for a dinner party or a country club, not the office. Also, since you are an attorney and presumably have worked in Biglaw for a few years, this conversation doesn't really apply for you. At this point, I'm sure you have enough street cred around you office to wear anything that resembles business casual without anyone caring. For SAs trying to land a full time offer, I think the safest way to go is to wear pressed slacks, white/light blue shirt (patterns are fine but shouldn't be anything with crazy colors) and a jacket + tie stashed somewhere in the office in case you need to go to court.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
As you said, it's really a matter of style/opinion. I agree with you that fit is as important as what you are actually wearing. I disagree with your advice in that Imo slacks + oxford is a great look for a dinner party or a country club, not the office. Also, since you are an attorney and presumably have worked in Biglaw for a few years, this conversation doesn't really apply for you. At this point, I'm sure you have enough street cred around you office to wear anything that resembles business casual without anyone caring. For SAs trying to land a full time offer, I think the safest way to go is to wear pressed slacks, white/light blue shirt (patterns are fine but shouldn't be anything with crazy colors) and a jacket + tie stashed somewhere in the office in case you need to go to court.
In conclusion, if you were a summer at my firm we would resolve this by you doing two shots of the cheapest gin they have in the tub below the rail while I sip an ice cold lager. To be expensed, of course.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu May 04, 2017 5:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
In conclusion, if you were a summer at my firm we would resolve this by you doing two shots of the cheapest gin they have in the tub below the rail while I sip an ice cold lager. To be expensed, of course.
*while quoting the Big Lebowski

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
*while quoting the Big Lebowski
He fixes the cable?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 pm

Moneytrees wrote: I think the safest way to go is to wear pressed slacks, white/light blue shirt (patterns are fine but shouldn't be anything with crazy colors)
Isn't this going a little overboard? Nobody seems to bat an eye at lilac/salmon shirts.

+1 on the slacks though. I think khakis make you look like the IT guy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Moneytrees wrote: I think the safest way to go is to wear pressed slacks, white/light blue shirt (patterns are fine but shouldn't be anything with crazy colors)
Isn't this going a little overboard? Nobody seems to bat an eye at lilac/salmon shirts.

Yes, if you're wearing Dockers that you bought three years prior, have washed 325 times, and have never been pressed.

No, if you're wearing slimmer fit khakis that are creased and pressed.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Yes, if you're wearing Dockers that you bought three years prior, have washed 325 times, and have never been pressed.

Just go to Barneys and live a little.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Sounds expensive.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Sounds expensive.
I said a little

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Sounds expensive.
I said a little
>$20=expensive.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 pm

about how many pages will the TLS aspieing about men's clothing end so i can check back in to this thread

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:about how many pages will the TLS aspieing about men's clothing end so i can check back in to this thread
Yeah I'm done.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 pm

we have MORE IMPORTANT things to talk about like what models and which bottles to purchase with these fat stacks??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”