Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

candidlatke

Bronze

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by candidlatke » Sun May 07, 2017 3:50 pm

when in doubt, the half windsor is almost always appropriate

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 3:51 pm

RareExports wrote:Asked this on an earlier page and got a response, but looking to hear more opinions, because I have heard conflicting responses. Is a four-in-hand tie knot considered too casual? What is the preferred tie knot, and are any common tie knots unacceptable? Someone told me Windsor was the only way to go, but others have said it is too formal.
When you have to wear ties, tie it in whatever way feels right to you. If Windsor, go for it. If half windsor, great. If Texas, BOLO cause YOLO.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Sun May 07, 2017 4:45 pm

UVA2B wrote:
RareExports wrote:Asked this on an earlier page and got a response, but looking to hear more opinions, because I have heard conflicting responses. Is a four-in-hand tie knot considered too casual? What is the preferred tie knot, and are any common tie knots unacceptable? Someone told me Windsor was the only way to go, but others have said it is too formal.
When you have to wear ties, tie it in whatever way feels right to you. If Windsor, go for it. If half windsor, great. If Texas, BOLO cause YOLO.
This is my new life motto.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Literally nobody will notice or care.

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 pm

It really doesn't matter but I guess if you really want to feel secure in your tie knot, go with a half-windsor. Four-in-hand is fine. I never go Windsor unless I'm wearing a spread collar. A half-windsor is never wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:32 pm

I almost exclusively go half windsor. I do have one shirt with a spread collar that I'll usually wear a full windsor with, though.

I pay almost zero attention to anyone's knots, but I think four in hand would be uncommon? Idk.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Curious why/how people know how to tie more than one kind of tie-knot.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun May 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Curious why/how people know how to tie more than one kind of tie-knot.
I neither know the name of the tie knot I know how to tie, nor plan to ever learn a second one

Though I do know how to tie a bow tie

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Curious why/how people know how to tie more than one kind of tie-knot.
I know enough to know that certain knots look silly with certain collars.

But I don't know which knots and which collars are which.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:38 pm

I don't remember how to do a full windsor off hand. I just google it when I wear my spread collar shirt.

Really knot doesn't matter unless you have a really narrow or wide collar. Small knot on a spread collar is going to look weird. Full Windsor on a really narrow collar would likewise cause me to ask why.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun May 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun May 07, 2017 7:44 pm

HamNewton

New

Post by HamNewton » Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Gonna be working in a different state, do firms reimburse for travel?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 pm

HamNewton wrote:Gonna be working in a different state, do firms reimburse for travel?
usually relocation expenses (one way) but not like traveling

HamNewton

New

Post by HamNewton » Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 pm

yea thats what i meant, "relocating" for the couple months I'll be there, not traveling other places

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 pm

And this is why you've failed (thus far) on your quest to marry into money--at least old money. The knot is all about signaling. Choose the wrong knot for the wrong occasion, you will be the gossip of high tea for weeks to come.
Gray wrote: spanx to look as svelte as possible.
Order placed. Take that, Ben & Jerry's! You thought teaming up with exams would get the best of my waist line!
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
nick417 wrote:Here is a good piece of advice: dress formal first day(suit) and then EVERY OTHER DAY mirror what the associates are wearing to work.
Jokes on you the first day the summers get here I'll be in full tux, tails, and top hat.
Hahahaha, that is a powerplay move.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 pm

nick417 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
nick417 wrote:Here is a good piece of advice: dress formal first day(suit) and then EVERY OTHER DAY mirror what the associates are wearing to work.
Jokes on you the first day the summers get here I'll be in full tux, tails, and top hat.
Hahahaha, that is a powerplay move.
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. I'll be in assless chaps.
Last edited by Kinky John on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 pm

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Gonna start bolo Thursdays

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun May 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Gonna start bolo Thursdays
Miraculously gets two offers from V&E. While working at BB. But forever foreclose opportunities in Austin on rep alone.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 pm

How'd you get conflicting responses about ties? Lol who said a "four-in-one" knot is too casual? Who even cares about tie knots (enough to judge someone based on the knot)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:How'd you get conflicting responses about ties? Lol who said a "four-in-one" knot is too casual? Who even cares about tie knots (enough to judge someone based on the knot)?
Plenty of people don't care, but I've heard some people express strong opinions. It's no sillier than a button-down/spread/point collar debate.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 am

I might have to wear business formal most days if I end up in Rwanda. I'm hoping to not have to wear that, it'll be hot enough without the damn fabric. Then again if I go where I think I'm going, I'll not touch a suit this whole summer I think.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

RareExports wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:How'd you get conflicting responses about ties? Lol who said a "four-in-one" knot is too casual? Who even cares about tie knots (enough to judge someone based on the knot)?
Plenty of people don't care, but I've heard some people express strong opinions. It's no sillier than a button-down/spread/point collar debate.
I personally don't think four in hand is too casual, per se. But it can look odd even with a medium width collar. Depends on the tie material and length. If getting the tie to the appropriate length (which people probably will judge you for because everyone's been giving Trump so much shit about it) results in the knot being really small, and you're wearing a shirt with a collar that is really wide, it will look weird.

This is a good collar to wear a four in hand knot with (and could be even wider):

But if you do this I will judge you:

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 am

Wow this thread contains some real dumb shit

I'm just hoping I still fit into my suit seeing that I haven't worn it since October and have probably even gotten more overweight than I already was in the meanwhile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”