Summer Associate Class of 2017

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
28%
DC
7%
LA
7%
Chicago
8%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
7%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
19%

Total votes: 246

OhBoyOhBortles

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:tag looking forward to having some hot discussions in here about how many suits to own and how not to gain weight

Hand wrote:Wow this thread contains some real dumb shit

I'm just hoping I still fit into my suit seeing that I haven't worn it since October and have probably even gotten more overweight than I already was in the meanwhile.

Second bolded line is my strategy for handling the first bolded line this summer.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 am

I'm just hoping I still fit into my suit seeing that I haven't worn it since October and have probably even gotten more overweight than I already was in the meanwhile.

get your plaintiff-side-suit-problems out of here this thread is for models bottles and allen edmonds

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:

get your plaintiff-side-suit-problems out of here this thread is for models bottles and allen edmonds

Dumb shit incoming. Dumb Shit: how much broguing is too much broguing? Fifth Ave? Cornwallis?
[Also, replace "broguing" with "bro-ing" and I'd appreciate an answer to that as well, please]

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon May 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Minnietron wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

Dumb shit incoming. Dumb Shit: how much broguing is too much broguing? Fifth Ave? Cornwallis?
[Also, replace "broguing" with "bro-ing" and I'd appreciate an answer to that as well, please]

there's no such thing as too much broguing minnie you can go full mccallister

don't you DARE wear a blucher though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 am

What to do about nose piercings (just a small diamond stud). I took it out during the interview but obviously leaving it out all summer will close it. I have worn it to everything else including class, networking events, coffee with partners (that one more so by accident..) and no one seems to mind honestly. Should I just get a clear one and leave that in?

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Wed May 10, 2017 2:29 am

Minnietron wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

oxfords not brogues

foregetaboutdre

Postby foregetaboutdre » Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:What to do about nose piercings (just a small diamond stud). I took it out during the interview but obviously leaving it out all summer will close it. I have worn it to everything else including class, networking events, coffee with partners (that one more so by accident..) and no one seems to mind honestly. Should I just get a clear one and leave that in?

Take it out tbh.

stoopkid13

Postby stoopkid13 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:14 am

dabigchina wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:

oxfords not brogues

Only if you're going Magic Circle. Otherwise looks like denim jackets and BOLO cause YOLO. Cravats are also acceptable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What to do about nose piercings (just a small diamond stud). I took it out during the interview but obviously leaving it out all summer will close it. I have worn it to everything else including class, networking events, coffee with partners (that one more so by accident..) and no one seems to mind honestly. Should I just get a clear one and leave that in?

If you're the greatest SA they've ever seen then by all means, keep it in, otherwise I'd hate to give anyone a reason to use it as shorthand (e.g. "the irritating one with the nose piercing."**) You can always get it re-done at the end of summer or you may find that you're entering a new chapter in your life.

** I speak somewhat from experience, worked in a law office some years ago where a temp clerk had hair of a color not in nature (and it changed regularly). The person did not perform well and as a consequence nobody on the floor referred to the person by their actual name because they were written off early on.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Could you put the nose piercing in after work so it doesn't close? Unfortunately, that stuff is seen as "unprofessional," which sucks because who cares about nose piercings.

If you're good though that'll be the end of it and you won't get no-offered because you have a nose piercing despite quality work product.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 3:20 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:

Take it out tbh.

Totally fine to keep in unless you're at a stuffy firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

After how many pics of food at fancy meals am I approaching no offer territory? Gotta keep up with my IG and Yelp reviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 3:39 pm

earrings on men are a nono right? right? someone tell me were progressive and im in cali so i should wear them anyways

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After how many pics of food at fancy meals am I approaching no offer territory? Gotta keep up with my IG and Yelp reviews.

So annoying and declasse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 4:01 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Could you put the nose piercing in after work so it doesn't close? Unfortunately, that stuff is seen as "unprofessional," which sucks because who cares about nose piercings.

If you're good though that'll be the end of it and you won't get no-offered because you have a nose piercing despite quality work product.

I decided I will put a clear one in. You can't see the clear one and it will ensure my hole doesn't close. My firm is very relaxed so I doubt they would have cared anyway but I'm just going to err on the safe side. Never know what 70 year old partner will judge me for it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:earrings on men are a nono right? right? someone tell me were progressive and im in cali so i should wear them anyways

Yeah I'm gonna have to say that's a no no.

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Cowboys boots with my bizcasual in a non-Texas market...discuss.

Roy McAvoy

Postby Roy McAvoy » Wed May 10, 2017 4:23 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:Cowboys boots with my bizcasual in a non-Texas market...discuss.

They're definitely not "cowboys boots" wherever you are.

renc56

Postby renc56 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:Cowboys boots with my bizcasual in a non-Texas market...discuss.

TX market: sad but by boss does this to make himself look taller
but we all laugh at it

LurkerG

Postby LurkerG » Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Will it be a problem/weird going to firm events and stuff if one is Muslim and fasting for Ramadan which will be in the summer? Won't be able to eat or drink until like 8:30pmish after the first week I start at the firm. Is it cool if I just go and hangout without eating or drinking or would that weird people out or? Don't seem to be any other Muslims or people of different faiths at the firm so I don't know how understanding they will be or what the deal is.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Wed May 10, 2017 6:07 pm

LurkerG wrote:Will it be a problem/weird going to firm events and stuff if one is Muslim and fasting for Ramadan which will be in the summer? Won't be able to eat or drink until like 8:30pmish after the first week I start at the firm. Is it cool if I just go and hangout without eating or drinking or would that weird people out or? Don't seem to be any other Muslims or people of different faiths at the firm so I don't know how understanding they will be or what the deal is.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276340

ETA: Just re-read that. Not as helpful as I remembered because it's mostly about Friday workday stuff.

But no, it won't be weird. Make sure you go to events. Missing them would be a mistake. If anybody asks, just tell them why; nobody will judge you for it.

LurkerG

Postby LurkerG » Wed May 10, 2017 6:25 pm

polareagle wrote:
LurkerG wrote:Will it be a problem/weird going to firm events and stuff if one is Muslim and fasting for Ramadan which will be in the summer? Won't be able to eat or drink until like 8:30pmish after the first week I start at the firm. Is it cool if I just go and hangout without eating or drinking or would that weird people out or? Don't seem to be any other Muslims or people of different faiths at the firm so I don't know how understanding they will be or what the deal is.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=276340

ETA: Just re-read that. Not as helpful as I remembered because it's mostly about Friday workday stuff.

But no, it won't be weird. Make sure you go to events. Missing them would be a mistake. If anybody asks, just tell them why; nobody will judge you for it.

Thanks for passing along! There was a part in the end about ramadan so it was still relevant and I was wondering about the one hour every friday thing anyways.

Minnietron

Postby Minnietron » Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Oklahoma is a non-Texas market. Or, are you saying they're not "cowboy boots" for a reason other than locale?

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu May 11, 2017 9:56 am

Minnietron wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Oklahoma is a non-Texas market. Or, are you saying they're not "cowboy boots" for a reason other than locale?

Its cause I typed the plural cowboys by accident

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu May 11, 2017 11:21 am

Anyone know how the Brooks Brothers Summer Suit sale stacks up? 2 suits for $899 seems decent.

Return to “Legal Employment”