Duke Entrepreneurship LLM

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BayCat24

New

Duke Entrepreneurship LLM

Postby BayCat24 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm a junior associate at a v10 in NYC, but I have been looking to lateral into more emerging company work.

I've struggled to get a lot of traction, but I still have hope I can land something in the lateral market.

I recently saw an attorney bio from one of my target firms that included an LLM in entrepreneurship from Duke.

Is this worth pursuing? I had previously thought the only LLM for American law students that mattered was a tax LLM. Are there others I have not heard of?

acr

Silver

Re: Duke Entrepreneurship LLM

Postby acr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Generally, Tax LLMs are the only LLMs of value, and even then only from Georgetown, NYU, and Florida (and maybe now NU?). I don't know much about Duke's LLM in Entrepreneurship, but you probably shouldn't do it unless 1) it's being paid for by someone; 2) you receive a full scholarship; or 3) it's a means to an end (i.e. you have a job lined up already contingent upon the LLM). My personal guess is that this person obtained their firm position via networking (which could have been a result of the program), and not from the degree itself. But you should reach out to the person you found and get their thoughts on the program. You would likely be better served by simply remaining in your current position and networking extensively with your target area instead of pursuing this LLM, but check it out regardless.
Last edited by acr on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Re: Duke Entrepreneurship LLM

Postby acr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Also, I wouldn't let the anecdata in this post sway me, but here's some more info: viewtopic.php?t=152086

Return to “Legal Employment�