How much time for responding to a job offer is acceptable to ask for? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much time for responding to a job offer is acceptable to ask for?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:38 pm

I recently interviewed for a biglaw lateral position and was told I would hear back by the end of the week. I have another interview lined up next week that I'm also interested in and would like to wait and see if they offer as well.

Is two weeks acceptable to ask for in this situation? If so, should I explain the situation to the hiring manager or just ask for the two weeks?

dailygrind

Diamond

Re: How much time for responding to a job offer is acceptable to ask for?

Post by dailygrind » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

I would ask for two weeks, but I wouldn't tell them it's b/c you have a competing offer. Say something like you really like the new firm, but lateraling is a bit commitment and you want to take some time to make sure you're making the right choice.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: How much time for responding to a job offer is acceptable to ask for?

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 am

I'm in the same situation, although I made it clear to everyone I interviewed with that I was interviewing elsewhere. No one seemed to mind except for the firm that has already given me an offer. They're not too keen on giving me more time to hear back from the other firms, but they did give me a week. I might need to ask for another week, so I'll report back on my success/failure.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”