BigLaw Special Counsel Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BigLaw Special Counsel

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:47 am

Okay, embarrassingly dumb question (hence anon). In biglaw, who exactly are special counsel, or even "of counsel?" I know some are the semi-retired partners who literally counsel the firm in areas they have expertise in. Are the other "special counsel" the ones who were on the non-partner associate track, or am I completely confusing myself.

Npret

Gold

Re: BigLaw Special Counsel

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Okay, embarrassingly dumb question (hence anon). In biglaw, who exactly are special counsel, or even "of counsel?" I know some are the semi-retired partners who literally counsel the firm in areas they have expertise in. Are the other "special counsel" the ones who were on the non-partner associate track, or am I completely confusing myself.
No. Most of them were on the partner track and didn't make partner. But they have a valued expertise.

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 am

Titles/roles vary firm to firm. In addition to the two scenarios you suggested and the one suggested by Npret, I've also seen more senior attorneys brought in as counsel as a trial run for partnership.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

v5junior wrote:Titles/roles vary firm to firm. In addition to the two scenarios you suggested and the one suggested by Npret, I've also seen more senior attorneys brought in as counsel as a trial run for partnership.
Thanks. This makes sense. I'm guessing salaries vary widely for these positions as well depending on the nature of the scenario

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am

Yup

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Generally-speaking they're a step up from associates and a step below partners. What it means for someone can depend more on the person than the role itself. For some it's a trial run for partner (e.g., for internal associates, for laterals who were partners at other firms or were about to be partner), for some it's because they weren't going to get partner but the firm wanted to retain them, for some it's because the person used to be a partner but wasn't bringing in enough money to stay partner, and for some it's because the person was a partner and was going to retire, and the firm wants to keep them around by giving them a smaller leadership role.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

never heard of special counsel, but of coursel varies wildly. at my firm Of counsel is basically anyone that isn't a home-grown partnership track atty. this includes some very young, maybe 3-4 yrs experience, attorneys that work part-time on an hourly basis

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”