DF Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox

Diamond

More of my classmates have been killed by biglaw than drugs cars terrorism etc

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: More of my classmates have been killed by biglaw than drugs cars terrorism etc

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 am

P sure he shot himself. Someone at my old firm jumped off the roof.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: More of my classmates have been killed by biglaw than drugs cars terrorism etc

Post by ballouttacontrol » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:P sure he shot himself. Someone at my old firm jumped off the roof.
2 doesnt seem like that bad of a mortality rate. you havent had more than 2 other classmates get hot OD get killed in DUIs etc? i had like 5x that many die during high schhol

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 am

The banking industry has the same problem. The combination of hours and pressure is what gets you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:P sure he shot himself. Someone at my old firm jumped off the roof.
2 doesnt seem like that bad of a mortality rate. you havent had more than 2 other classmates get hot OD get killed in DUIs etc? i had like 5x that many die during high schhol
Your high-school friend group sounds atypical.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am

e
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

beenoparte125

New

Post by beenoparte125 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
I wouldn't say that's atypical... OP has been relatively lucky.
Accidental anon

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am

white/UMC privilege

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am

also yea I've had at least 6 high school classmates die of either (1) overdose or (2) drunk driving accidents. but I went to a big high school

sadpandayolo

New

Post by sadpandayolo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 am

beenoparte125 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
Accidental anon
Jesus Christ. I went to a fairly big high school and knew a lot of people. But still, only know one person that died (OD). BigLaw mortality rate does seem insane compared to the average life.

edit: Actually, is 2600 considered big? if not, nvm

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:29 am

beenoparte125 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
Accidental anon
Yeah, didn't realize this was referring to classmates and not friends. No idea how many classmates from high school have died.

beenoparte125

New

Post by beenoparte125 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:30 am

sadpandayolo wrote:
beenoparte125 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
Accidental anon
Jesus Christ. I went to a fairly big high school and knew a lot of people. But still, only know one person that died (OD). BigLaw mortality rate does seem insane compared to the average life.
Drunk driving was a big one, plus I went to a huge high school. This is not to minimize OPs experience, though. It's all terrible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sadpandayolo

New

Post by sadpandayolo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:34 am

beenoparte125 wrote:
sadpandayolo wrote:
beenoparte125 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:
Accidental anon
Drunk driving was a big one, plus I went to a huge high school. This is not to minimize OPs experience, though. It's all terrible.
DFs been in the game for a while though, right? talking to the slightly more senior attorneys at my firm, it seems pretty norm that they know someone has died in biglaw...

beenoparte125

New

Post by beenoparte125 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 am

Accidental anon[/quote]
Jesus Christ. I went to a fairly big high school and knew a lot of people. But still, only know one person that died (OD). BigLaw mortality rate does seem insane compared to the average life.[/quote]

Drunk driving was a big one, plus I went to a huge high school. This is not to minimize OPs experience, though. It's all terrible.[/quote]
DFs been in the game for a while though, right? talking to the slightly more senior attorneys at my firm, it seems pretty norm that they know someone has died in biglaw...[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but do firms typically offer services to combat this or is it taboo to even bring it up?

sadpandayolo

New

Post by sadpandayolo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 am

beenoparte125 wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but do firms typically offer services to combat this or is it taboo to even bring it up?
I think we have a psychiatrist on site once in a while? I remember HR talking about something like that but not sure if it exists or, if it does, if many people know about it.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am

sadpandayolo wrote:
beenoparte125 wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but do firms typically offer services to combat this or is it taboo to even bring it up?
I think we have a psychiatrist on site once in a while? I remember HR talking about something like that but not sure if it exists or, if it does, if many people know about it.
We have aprogram through the bar association.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 am

Bear in mind as well that mortality rates of folks in their late teens are generally much higher than those of people in their late twenties-thirties. Just saying, comparing deaths of high school classmates is not really an apples to apples comparison. A more apt comparison might be mortality among your non-law school college friends greater than three years out... I'm betting it's pretty close to 0.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

I don't know what it is about this job, but it definitely leads to despair and feeling trapped and lost, regardless of your situation (especially if you have a ton of debt)

accidental anon - $$$$$$

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”