Will 1L Summer at Big Law Open Doors?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cheaptilts

Bronze

Re: Will 1L Summer at Big Law Open Doors?

Postby cheaptilts » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 am

Just commenting to say that "outing" a firm is always dumb advice in basically any scenario

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. There seems to be some talk about what makes me diverse.

I'm actually a white girl, ha! But I'm a first generation college student, first to graduate high school, and from rural America. So they most certainly are not using my skin color to diversify their office.

The more I looked into these kinds of programs, and went through profiles on Linkedin from various firms, it became apparent that many diverse 1Ls (from what I saw) do not return to where they did their 1L summer. I was just surprised that they gave me so much money (via payroll and scholarship), and were going to invest time into me, with the plan to not have me back.

Don't listen to anyone here. You did a great job getting this position for yourself. Congratulations. Learn a ton over the summer and rock your 2L OCI. Also, if you have a practice area you're interested in, try to reach out to partners/associates in that area for assignments. Could help with your interviews come August.

ernie

Bronze

Postby ernie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. There seems to be some talk about what makes me diverse.

I'm actually a white girl, ha! But I'm a first generation college student, first to graduate high school, and from rural America. So they most certainly are not using my skin color to diversify their office.

The more I looked into these kinds of programs, and went through profiles on Linkedin from various firms, it became apparent that many diverse 1Ls (from what I saw) do not return to where they did their 1L summer. I was just surprised that they gave me so much money (via payroll and scholarship), and were going to invest time into me, with the plan to not have me back.

They may have you back, they may not. In my experience firms tend to be flexible about that rule, even if they say otherwise. As for why diverse 1Ls generally don't return to their 1L firms, it's usually because they trade up, though of course this is not universally the case. In any event, enjoy the experience, but treat it like an extended job interview.

And congratulations! These are hard positions to get. The fact that you got one with a 3.23 from a TT means you must have really stood out. Don't sell yourself too short.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 am

KunAgnis wrote:

Don't listen to anyone here. You did a great job getting this position for yourself. Congratulations. Learn a ton over the summer and rock your 2L OCI. Also, if you have a practice area you're interested in, try to reach out to partners/associates in that area for assignments. Could help with your interviews come August.

LOL @ the bolded. Half the posters ITT said the same thing you said.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 am

rpupkin wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:

LOL @ the bolded. Half the posters ITT said the same thing you said.

You're right and they did. I should have been clearer - I just skimmed and noted a few comments that were derogatory.

Return to “Legal Employment�