Will past shoplifting stop me from getting a legal job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will past shoplifting stop me from getting a legal job?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheaptilts

Bronze

Re: Will past shoplifting stop me from getting a legal job?

Postby cheaptilts » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For context, I'm a 1L at a T14. In college, I shoplifted (under $50, it was really stupid and I obviously regret it and have never done it again). The store caught me and took down my name and info, and had me pay an $85 fine. No police were ever called, and I never heard anything from them again. This was about 4 years ago. I never thought to mention it when applying to law school because I assumed I wasn't criminally charged since no police came. However, the job I will have this summer (govt internship) has a mandatory background check and I'm freaking out now. Will this come up? Will they find out about the shoplifting, or is this something that will not show up since it was not criminal?

Thank you for any response; again, I know that this was extremely stupid and I can't emphasize how much I hate myself for it. I'm just hoping it won't stop me from working as a lawyer.

How would this come up? Who did you pay a fine to? Absent interacting with a member of the police department or school, disclosing is probably unnecessary. It seems like it was a private matter that was settled. IS there more to this story?

Hogwartsexpress

New

Postby Hogwartsexpress » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For context, I'm a 1L at a T14. In college, I shoplifted (under $50, it was really stupid and I obviously regret it and have never done it again). The store caught me and took down my name and info, and had me pay an $85 fine. No police were ever called, and I never heard anything from them again. This was about 4 years ago. I never thought to mention it when applying to law school because I assumed I wasn't criminally charged since no police came. However, the job I will have this summer (govt internship) has a mandatory background check and I'm freaking out now. Will this come up? Will they find out about the shoplifting, or is this something that will not show up since it was not criminal?

Thank you for any response; again, I know that this was extremely stupid and I can't emphasize how much I hate myself for it. I'm just hoping it won't stop me from working as a lawyer.
Last edited by Hogwartsexpress on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Agree with the advice NOT to mention this. Honestly, if it comes up on the background (and I doubt it will), you will be in big shit. If it comes up for the job, you will have to disclose for C&F, who will investigate (and find out) that you didn't disclose on your law school admission app. .. compounding the lack of disclosure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Agree with the advice NOT to mention this. Honestly, if it comes up on the background (and I doubt it will), you will be in big shit. If it comes up for the job, you will have to disclose for C&F, who will investigate (and find out) that you didn't disclose on your law school admission app. .. compounding the lack of disclosure.

Is it even possible that it would come up in the background check, since no police were ever involved?

LockBox

Bronze

Postby LockBox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Is it possible to just hire a PI to do a background check for you? I'm sure it wouldn't be that expensive and you'd have at least a little bit more data to work with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Sounds like you got a civil demand letter and paid the fine. You should be okay, it won't show in a criminal background check, and shouldn't show on a credit check unless they sent you to collections which they shouldn't have since you paid.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Sounds like you bought the stuff. I would keep it to yourself. There is no database for stuff like this. Won't come up in a background check.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Delete this thread before someone else sees it.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

White privlilge?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Hogwartsexpress wrote:DO NOT I repeat DO NOT mention this, they will never find out unless you tell them

Just a reminder that 0Ls should generally not be giving advice in this forum.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 pm

I'd contact a CF attorney or go over the scenario with your dean of students. Also, I can't recall what law school app questions were like, but something is in my head that the questions are pretty vague like "have you committed a crime" or something so that may be an issue.

Return to “Legal Employment�