When do I start sending out 2L Job Stuff?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AlexandraHope

When do I start sending out 2L Job Stuff?

Postby AlexandraHope » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 pm

I know I am getting a little ahead of myself but I can't sleep at the moment, so I am making Summer Goals. I know the general date for 1L was December 1st, and I was wondering does 2L Summer have a similar understood date?

PeanutsNJam

Re: When do I start sending out 2L Job Stuff?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 pm

If you want to, some firms allow you to direct apply starting in mid-June, but you may (or may not) want to at least wait until you get your spring grades/law review write-on results. "Early" hiring kicks into high gear in mid-July. Then you have early-interview week (early OCI) late July/early August, and OCI mid August.

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:51 pm

What type of job are you looking for? Hiring during 2L will vary heavily based on the type of job you're looking to get. If private firm, start networking/sending out materials during the summer in your desired market. Anecdotally, firms are trying to increase their recruiting pre-OCI from what I understand, so the more you can do during 1L summer, the better. If you're looking at PI-type work, I just hope you're working in a similar field for the summer and are similarly networking with those organizations for the summer, because your hiring push will be later in 2L and 3L year.

AlexandraHope

Postby AlexandraHope » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:52 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If you want to, some firms allow you to direct apply starting in mid-June, but you may (or may not) want to at least wait until you get your spring grades/law review write-on results. "Early" hiring kicks into high gear in mid-July. Then you have early-interview week (early OCI) late July/early August, and OCI mid August.

Ok. That's good I'll have time to better prepare a list of firms this time around.

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 am

AlexandraHope wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:If you want to, some firms allow you to direct apply starting in mid-June, but you may (or may not) want to at least wait until you get your spring grades/law review write-on results. "Early" hiring kicks into high gear in mid-July. Then you have early-interview week (early OCI) late July/early August, and OCI mid August.

Ok. That's good I'll have time to better prepare a list of firms this time around.

I would target end of June/Early July.

Return to “Legal Employment”