DPW Associates Taking Q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
christianllang

New

Re: DPW Associates Taking Q's

Post by christianllang » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a summer at DPW. Is it normal not to get much feedback? I've done a lot of junior/rotator level stuff on a few deals, but no ones really given me any substantive feedback. Everyone is super thankful to the point of absurdity whenever I turn something in, but rarely tells me if I did a good job or not. Are they just too busy? Or am I gonna get boned in my mid-summer review?
Agree with the normalcy. But give this a look: https://blacklinesandbillables.com/asso ... -feedback/. Same concept applies to summers, as well. (As a former DPW lawyer myself, you definitely have to be proactive to get the feedback you need.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Any advice for someone who desperately wants to rotate through both M&A and Cap Markets? It seems very rare that someone gets both. I enjoyed both practices during my summer and really want a rotation through both in order to make an informed decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for someone who desperately wants to rotate through both M&A and Cap Markets? It seems very rare that someone gets both. I enjoyed both practices during my summer and really want a rotation through both in order to make an informed decision.
No way to guarantee it as your first two, very possible to do the missing one as a 3rd but you will want to communicate this desire to associate development and keep it on their radar (and have reasons why if they ask).

If you want to give yourself the best shot at getting it for your first two you should rank CapM first and M&A second and flip flop them for the second rotation preferences. Ranking M&A first all but rules you out of a second rotation in CapM since M&A is for some reason viewed as competitive/a privilege to get into. You should also be strategic to rank less popular groups as low as possible. I think 6th is the lowest I've heard of someone ranking something and getting it as a rotation, and generally for the first one you will get one of your top 3.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 am

What are DPWs grade cutoffs for MVP? Do candidates get an advantage for having a higher GPA than the floor, or does it not really matter as long as you meet the cutoff?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are DPWs grade cutoffs for MVP? Do candidates get an advantage for having a higher GPA than the floor, or does it not really matter as long as you meet the cutoff?
The firm never tells associates the cutoffs but if you look at who ends up hired from MVP they are usually LR caliber candidates. If you don't check any diversity box I think top third or so is likely required, though if you are a URM or a female median (or even slightly below) is probably fine.

Once you are in the door for a CB I think grades matter less at DPW than most of its peers, it's overwhelmingly "fit" to convert the CB (though I've seen amazing grades make up for odd personalities).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are DPWs grade cutoffs for MVP? Do candidates get an advantage for having a higher GPA than the floor, or does it not really matter as long as you meet the cutoff?
The firm never tells associates the cutoffs but if you look at who ends up hired from MVP they are usually LR caliber candidates. If you don't check any diversity box I think top third or so is likely required, though if you are a URM or a female median (or even slightly below) is probably fine.

Once you are in the door for a CB I think grades matter less at DPW than most of its peers, it's overwhelmingly "fit" to convert the CB (though I've seen amazing grades make up for odd personalities).
Will DPW hire 3L this fall at all? If so, for what groups? Would the grade cutoff be a little higher given the 2L grade inflation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Will DPW hire 3L this fall at all? If so, for what groups? Would the grade cutoff be a little higher given the 2L grade inflation?
There are almost always 3L hires directly into FIG, Exec Comp and Credit which tend to be filled by very good students from lower ranked schools. There are often but not always 3L hires into the corporate rotation system but these tend to be some combination of 1. T10 students, 2. Summered at competing firms as 2Ls, 3. Had DPW offers as 2Ls and 4. Check a diversity box. I don't believe the grade cutoff is inflated per se but it's a more competitive pool since we are talking about like 10-12 spots instead of 150. Lit doesn't generally do 3L hiring but it will take post-clerks who didn't summer at DPW.

They've not said anything about expected 3L hiring this fall and generally won't until interviews are imminent. We will just get calendar invites to do interviews and find out by opening their/your resume that you are a 3L and if it's a group specific interview it'll be mentioned then (day before/morning of your interview).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There are almost always 3L hires directly into FIG, Exec Comp and Credit which tend to be filled by very good students from lower ranked schools. There are often but not always 3L hires into the corporate rotation system but these tend to be some combination of 1. T10 students, 2. Summered at competing firms as 2Ls, 3. Had DPW offers as 2Ls and 4. Check a diversity box. I don't believe the grade cutoff is inflated per se but it's a more competitive pool since we are talking about like 10-12 spots instead of 150. Lit doesn't generally do 3L hiring but it will take post-clerks who didn't summer at DPW.

They've not said anything about expected 3L hiring this fall and generally won't until interviews are imminent. We will just get calendar invites to do interviews and find out by opening their/your resume that you are a 3L and if it's a group specific interview it'll be mentioned then (day before/morning of your interview).
Thank you so much! I am planning on applying. Any tips on interviewing as a 3L (if I'm lucky enough to get one)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just wanted to correct the point that lit doesn't generally hire 3Ls. I was a 3L lit hire once upon a time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you so much! I am planning on applying. Any tips on interviewing as a 3L (if I'm lucky enough to get one)?
If you are interviewing into a practice group have very informed and sophisticated reasons why you want to do that with your career and in all cases have a good reason for wanting to switch firms that doesn't scream "trading up". Once you get the interview I'd try to connect with juniors at DPW who are alums of your school to give you some good talking points about specific groups and the firm. Classmates/current summers would work too but actual associates would be far better. Otherwise you should do your best to be as relaxed and conversational as possible, our interviews tend to be <10 minutes of resume focused questions and then just an organic conversation where the person is judging whether they think you would fit in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Couple of questions

(1) what benefits do they give, specifically at home office stipend, is healthcare included, gym reimbursement, meals and taxis.

(2) how long do people share offices for? It seems like DPW is way behind other firms at giving people their own offices early. At what year do people get their own office?

(3) would you say the m&a group is as strong as Simpsons? If anyone is in m&a, how big is the group and what sorts of deals have you done? Public v private.

Thanks so much for doing this. I have an offer at DPW and so am in the process of deciding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the cb process? I was told I won't be given a list of interviewers, but how many people will I meet/how long does each conversation last? What are people primarily looking for (and are there any behavioral questions I should particularly prepare)? I should add that my grades were not particularly strong compared to the average GPA they take at my school, so was surprised to get a cb if at all.

Thanks so much for your help--this is my first cb so pretty nervous!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the cb process? I was told I won't be given a list of interviewers, but how many people will I meet/how long does each conversation last? What are people primarily looking for (and are there any behavioral questions I should particularly prepare)? I should add that my grades were not particularly strong compared to the average GPA they take at my school, so was surprised to get a cb if at all.

I'm a DPW associate. 4 interviews, 30 mins each. Lunch with juniors if you go early. I never look at transcripts before the interview. Will sometimes not even look at the resume (if busy). Everyone has a different interview style - but would think interviewing at DPW is no different than any other firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Couple of questions

(1) what benefits do they give, specifically at home office stipend, is healthcare included, gym reimbursement, meals and taxis.

(2) how long do people share offices for? It seems like DPW is way behind other firms at giving people their own offices early. At what year do people get their own office?

Fifth year, if you are lucky. They are almost done building new internal offices. We'll see how it works out.

(3) would you say the m&a group is as strong as Simpsons? If anyone is in m&a, how big is the group and what sorts of deals have you done? Public v private.

Thanks so much for doing this. I have an offer at DPW and so am in the process of deciding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the cb process? I was told I won't be given a list of interviewers, but how many people will I meet/how long does each conversation last? What are people primarily looking for (and are there any behavioral questions I should particularly prepare)? I should add that my grades were not particularly strong compared to the average GPA they take at my school, so was surprised to get a cb if at all.

I'm a DPW associate. 4 interviews, 30 mins each. Lunch with juniors if you go early. I never look at transcripts before the interview. Will sometimes not even look at the resume (if busy). Everyone has a different interview style - but would think interviewing at DPW is no different than any other firm.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 am

How does partnership at DPW work - are all partners equity partners, are there different tiers, etc.

Lawbrary

New

Post by Lawbrary » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Couple of questions

Fifth year, if you are lucky. They are almost done building new internal offices. We'll see how it works out.

Seriously, year 5?! How are people not upset about that. They must be one of the only firms in the city that approaches that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:40 am

DPW associate here.

Same as any other big law firm, with just a haircut across the board probably. In the past few years, DPW has instituted some draconian policies (or at least began enforcing them) - and the trend seems to be continuing. For example, it used to be cars generally at night were fine, but now it's STRICTLY only past 8:30 PM regardless if there's a hurricane outside.

I think someone said it earlier, but fifth year if you are lucky is correct. That being said, there's a strong favoritism aspect at DPW that I've noticed... if you're on their good list, anything goes.

Probably the same - it depends on who you are. Some people get big public deals and some people get stuck doing small private deals or just ancillary agreements for deals forever basically. The type of work often depends on what chances you get early on in your career here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Can anyone speak to DPW's NorCal office in Menlo Park? Culture, hours, type of work, etc?

Lawbrary

New

Post by Lawbrary » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW associate here.

Same as any other big law firm, with just a haircut across the board probably. In the past few years, DPW has instituted some draconian policies (or at least began enforcing them) - and the trend seems to be continuing. For example, it used to be cars generally at night were fine, but now it's STRICTLY only past 8:30 PM regardless if there's a hurricane outside.

I think someone said it earlier, but fifth year if you are lucky is correct. That being said, there's a strong favoritism aspect at DPW that I've noticed... if you're on their good list, anything goes.

Probably the same - it depends on who you are. Some people get big public deals and some people get stuck doing small private deals or just ancillary agreements for deals forever basically. The type of work often depends on what chances you get early on in your career here.
Is there any pushback by associates to get the same perks as those at other firms? Or do people not seem to mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi all, hoping to revive this thread. For any current DPW lit associates I'm wondering how many hours you tend to work per week and whether that varies by group (civil/antitrust/WC)? Also, DPW has stressed RTO policies but I've also heard of people being more willing to WFH after 6pm on average days. Has the RTO push implied longer face-time hours as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:00 pm
Hi all, hoping to revive this thread. For any current DPW lit associates I'm wondering how many hours you tend to work per week and whether that varies by group (civil/antitrust/WC)? Also, DPW has stressed RTO policies but I've also heard of people being more willing to WFH after 6pm on average days. Has the RTO push implied longer face-time hours as well?
Incoming DPW associate here as well, and I'd love to revive this thread, too.

How's attrition looking - any groups in particular taking a hit? I recently heard DPW was hiring associates, which puzzled me, so I'd love to learn more.

Oppositely, which groups are slammed right now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”