Path to Privacy & Data Security

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Path to Privacy & Data Security

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 pm

I'll keep it short -- I'm an incoming SA at a v100 satellite office and I am extremely interesting in going into Privacy & Data Security. I have experience in the field and my resume reflects it. However, the particular office I'm going into (assuming I am given an offer) does not have a Privacy and Data Security practice, but has most of the common ones. I want to keep my options open so that I can do this type of work down the line. Which practice group should I go for? I'm assuming general litigation, but I was wondering if there was anything else.

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous User

Re: Path to Privacy & Data Security

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:59 am

To be honest, I would look at tech transactions. I would stay clear of litigation. The reason why is because in terms of exit options, there are FAR more transactional positions available than litigation. I went from corporate to tech transactions and data privacy. Ironically the reason why I went into that field was sheer luck. I was moved from corporate after my first year due to corporate being slow at my firm. I couldn't have been happier for that move.

The slight downside is that for privacy, the money is mostly in handling breaches, especially credit card breaches. If you go down the transactional path, you will be doing mostly compliance work and review of technology based contracts that uses personal information. Compliance work doesn't generate as much income for a firm. However, the positive is that there are far more transactional related positions inhouse and doing tech transactions/privacy related work.

elendinel

Postby elendinel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 am

What specifically do you want to do/think you want to do?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

If there's a healthcare practice group, privacy and data security is a big part of HIPAA compliance and is bread and butter stuff for corporate health law groups.

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 am

Sit for the CIPP/US exam.

With regards to the above poster about privacy and litigation, I would disagree only to the extent that I know people in that area who are trial attorneys as well. Some Privacy groups, such as Hunton's, ONLY does transactions/compliance. But there are other groups that I am blanking on that also incorporate the litigation side of privacy and data breaches.

Also consider crisis management, which includes counseling clients on preventing breaches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 am

1styearlateral wrote:Sit for the CIPP/US exam.

With regards to the above poster about privacy and litigation, I would disagree only to the extent that I know people in that area who are trial attorneys as well. Some Privacy groups, such as Hunton's, ONLY does transactions/compliance. But there are other groups that I am blanking on that also incorporate the litigation side of privacy and data breaches.

Also consider crisis management, which includes counseling clients on preventing breaches.

I'm not saying that trial attorneys or litigators can't get into privacy. What I am saying is that exit opportunities for transactional attorneys are by far better than the exit opportunities for litigators, especially if you look at people who do tech transactions and data privacy.

Generally speaking, litigation and arbitration related breach work provides more revenue than say a compliance project. However, compliance and tech transactions related privacy work has better exit opportunities. Just look at the inhouse jobs that are available.

1styearlateral

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Sit for the CIPP/US exam.

I'm not saying that trial attorneys or litigators can't get into privacy. What I am saying is that exit opportunities for transactional attorneys are by far better than the exit opportunities for litigators, especially if you look at people who do tech transactions and data privacy.

Generally speaking, litigation and arbitration related breach work provides more revenue than say a compliance project. However, compliance and tech transactions related privacy work has better exit opportunities. Just look at the inhouse jobs that are available.

I see; understood.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Curious as to how helpful people think CIPP/US and CIPP/EU would be in an EC/VC practice (we primarily deal with foreign startups moving ops into the US from Europe, which is why I include EU here)

Return to “Legal Employment”