Local Non-Profit v. National Non-Profit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Local Non-Profit v. National Non-Profit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm a midlevel NYC big law associate looking to transition to public interest in 2018. I have great contacts with a well-regarded local non-profit that does civil litigation (e.g. disability rights, housing, etc.) and think I would have a very good shot of getting a job there if I were to apply. I really like the people there and enjoy the work, but I have also been thinking of leaving NYC in the next few years and moving to another city, like DC.

Does anyone have any insight into whether going to a local non-profit instead of a national non-profit (like Legal Aid) would limit me to working only in NYC? Any insight, especially from anyone who has lateraled between non-profits in different markets, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nebby

Re: Local Non-Profit v. National Non-Profit

Postby Nebby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Legal Aid is a local nonprofit in that they provide local direct services. It's not national in the way ACLU, NRDC, etc is national. I think the better distinction is between direct services and impact organizations. National or local are largely tertiary issues.

Civilservant

Re: Local Non-Profit v. National Non-Profit

Postby Civilservant » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:24 pm

I think direct service vs. impact is the major distinction, but another would be whether the organization is LSC funded or not. Some direct services organizations do not take LSC funds for the purpose of occasionally doing the work that an "impact" organization would do.

Return to “Legal Employment”