How to approach New York Biglaw firms as a 3L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to approach New York Biglaw firms as a 3L

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 am

Hi all, my significant other has unfortunately been transferred to New York for his job.

I originally was supposed to go to a secondary market at a large firm however now it seems I will have to find a job in New York. How should I go about approaching firms?

Anonymous User

Re: How to approach New York Biglaw firms as a 3L

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Just tell firms that you need to relocate to New York due to personal reasons and ask if any of them are seeking entry-level candidates.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 am

Mass mail NYC offices.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

Does your current firm have a NYC office? You may be able to transfer

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:Does your current firm have a NYC office? You may be able to transfer
This is your best option. Or consider, and i understand this would suck, starting work at the firm and attempting to lateral later. Could still live with s/o during bar prep, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:24 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Dr. Nefario wrote:Does your current firm have a NYC office? You may be able to transfer
This is your best option. Or consider, and i understand this would suck, starting work at the firm and attempting to lateral later. Could still live with s/o during bar prep, etc.
^

Best option. Seen it happen a few times. Firm may or may not allow it though so shit situation still in general.

Biglaw job + waiting a little longer to lateral > moving with no job, even if you have to be long distance with an SO for awhile.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
^

Best option. Seen it happen a few times. Firm may or may not allow it though so shit situation still in general.

Biglaw job + waiting a little longer to lateral > moving with no job, even if you have to be long distance with an SO for awhile.

It might be fine for some people but to call this the universal best option is pretty laughable. "Just start a high-stress job away from your SO for months with no definitive plan to move back together in the short or even long term."

We have no idea how highly OP values big law for their career plans. I would way rather just not work big law if the binary choice was big law or be in the same city as my significant other.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
^

It might be fine for some people but to call this the universal best option is pretty laughable. "Just start a high-stress job away from your SO for months with no definitive plan to move back together in the short or even long term."

We have no idea how highly OP values big law for their career plans. I would way rather just not work big law if the binary choice was big law or be in the same city as my significant other.
That's why I said that it would suck. I would not want to live separately from my SO, but sometimes 'life happens' and you need to make sacrifices. People do it all the time for clerkships, summer associate programs, etc. Also, it is significantly more difficult to land a non-big law gig in New York than a big law gig (hiring is different for smaller firms -- i.e. they hire law students who worked there during semester). Absent family money or significant SO income, OP needs to work... so s/he might as well consider all options.

ETA: If OP were to start with current firm and move after, say, 6 months (regardless of whether an offer is secured) s/he would be in a far better position than moving there jobless and having no experience whatsoever.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Are you currently a 3L or a 2L?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:32 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Are you currently a 3L or a 2L?
Class of 2017.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”