JD or (Paralegal certificate+LLM) for a LLB graduate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
inilidg

New

JD or (Paralegal certificate+LLM) for a LLB graduate?

Postby inilidg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:12 pm

I am an LLB graduate who recently came to the US. As my next step I am thinking of furthering my education on becoming an attorney. Rather than investing money on a JD I am thinking of doing a paralegal certificate and gain some experience in the American legal system. I may do a part-time LLM and MBA with my job as well. Will this erase the gap of knowledge as an american attorney after I sit for the american bar? I already have the basic legal knowledge from my LLB and working. I have sat for my home country's bar as well.

curepure

New

Re: JD or (Paralegal certificate+LLM) for a LLB graduate?

Postby curepure » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 pm

Tons of LLB students come to the US for an LLM, almost none of them get associate positions at Vault firms, even if they go to T14. An LLM allows you to take NY or CA bar but doesn't give you any edge unless from HYS or maybe CCN. I've only seen one HYS LLM getting an associate title, and he/she was a paralegal at that firm for 2 years before LLM. Another CCN LLM friend of mine got the associate title but not the pay, and his/her LLM was sponsored by the firm he/she was working for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Not every state will let you sit for the bar with only an LLM. Check to see if whatever state you want to practice in will let foreign-trained lawyers take the bar exam with only an American LLM.

A foreign LLB does not qualify you to take the bar exam and be admitted to bar because it is not accredited by the ABA. You'll need to get a JD or an LLM. Either way, you'll have to complete a JD or LLM before taking the bar exam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:19 am

Paralegal certificate is useless in your situation even if you want to become a paralegal. LLM is useless unless you already have an established career in your home country, and the said career must be transferable to work here in the US. Your best bet is a JD degree. Period. Not sure if this is the way how it worked in your home country but US legal education is more like a high barrier for entry to admission rather than for your to "further your education." True education happens in your workplace and not your classroom.

chingwoo

Bronze

Postby chingwoo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 am

Common or civil law country?

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Paralegal certificate is useless in your situation even if you want to become a paralegal. LLM is useless unless you already have an established career in your home country, and the said career must be transferable to work here in the US. Your best bet is a JD degree. Period. Not sure if this is the way how it worked in your home country but US legal education is more like a high barrier for entry to admission rather than for your to "further your education." True education happens in your workplace and not your classroom.

This.

JoeySkoko

New

Postby JoeySkoko » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

To be honest, depends on your background and what country you practised in before.

I just finished a LLM at CCN, and am a 3rd year associate at a Vault-ranked firm. However, I'm from a common law country and i practised for 3 years first.

Also, it's easier if you're corporate/M&A, i found litigation quite difficult to get roles.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:21 pm

During a callback, I once met an European attorney who did LLM at CCN and is currently an associate at a Vault firm. But getting a JD is probably the surest path.

Return to “Legal Employment�