Best firm to be an associate in restructuring Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umichman

Bronze

Best firm to be an associate in restructuring

Post by umichman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:18 am

I have heard that the two biggest debtor shops (kirk/weil) are brutal in terms of work intensity and hours. I was wondering if there were any restructuring associates here that can comment on their experience of being associates at either these firms or others and whether it has been positive or not in terms of good experience and less brutal hours? Mostly interested in New York, but also just in general. Vault is kind of useless in my opinion because it ranks mostly based on industry success which is focused on partners. Since being a partner at one of these is nearly impossible, i am more focused on the associate experience.

Anonymous User

Re: Best firm to be an associate in restructuring

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 am

Current associate at one of these firms. If you want to do restructuring work these are the places you want to be at. The most interesting work, lean staffing, tons of early responsibility, lots of opportunities to work directly with senior management/outside professionals, etc. The hours though, at least right now, are absolutely brutal (I'm on pace for ~3500 hours this year and it's getting busier).

Happy to answer more specific questions if you would like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current associate at one of these firms. If you want to do restructuring work these are the places you want to be at. The most interesting work, lean staffing, tons of early responsibility, lots of opportunities to work directly with senior management/outside professionals, etc. The hours though, at least right now, are absolutely brutal (I'm on pace for ~3500 hours this year and it's getting busier).

I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but in this environment (and prior, I guess) what kind of exits and at what years have you seen from your firm?

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current associate at one of these firms. If you want to do restructuring work these are the places you want to be at. The most interesting work, lean staffing, tons of early responsibility, lots of opportunities to work directly with senior management/outside professionals, etc. The hours though, at least right now, are absolutely brutal (I'm on pace for ~3500 hours this year and it's getting busier).

3500!!! HOLY MOLY

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:11 pm

redsox550 wrote:

3500!!! HOLY MOLY
Yea. Fuck that under any circumstances. I will quit before I bill that much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:15 pm

sublime wrote:
redsox550 wrote:

3500!!! HOLY MOLY
I Dont even get how that is possible and i am assuming its an exaggeration. That would be 300 hours a month consistently. nobody hits that for one month at my firm EVER

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Did you qualify for a bonus?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Idk. Some partners at my firm say they do it, and I'm sure associates at mine have done it, but I work at a place with a sweatshop reputation, and nothing even close to that is expected.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:19 pm

My understanding of restructuring is that if you really want to go into that kind of work, you are going to need to come to terms with a very difficult schedule. Restructuring and Bankruptcy, by their natures, are incredibly time sensitive; when an issue is live, you're working -- A LOT.

Bearing that in mind, your options are going somewhere where you'll have a lot of down time punctuated by insane weeks/months -- as in, a place that doesn't get the "best" work, but does get work -- and a place like the firms mentioned above where you'll get s LOT of work ALL the time.

What I'm trying to say is, restructuring is not, from my understanding, the "work/life balance" practice group. Go in eyes open.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 pm

sublime wrote:
redsox550 wrote:

3500!!! HOLY MOLY
+1

180k loses its value once you have to bill that much; that's $51 an hour. (Assuming no bonus)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 pm

3500 is crazy and imo not sustainable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 pm

zhenders wrote:My understanding of restructuring is that if you really want to go into that kind of work, you are going to need to come to terms with a very difficult schedule. Restructuring and Bankruptcy, by their natures, are incredibly time sensitive; when an issue is live, you're working -- A LOT.

Bearing that in mind, your options are going somewhere where you'll have a lot of down time punctuated by insane weeks/months -- as in, a place that doesn't get the "best" work, but does get work -- and a place like the firms mentioned above where you'll get s LOT of work ALL the time.

What I'm trying to say is, restructuring is not, from my understanding, the "work/life balance" practice group. Go in eyes open.
Associate from above.

This sums it up pretty well. There are a number of good firms out there that do solid restructuring work, but you have to understand that the large majority of the big debtor side cases go to KE/Weil and this puts a lot of very time sensitive work on small practice groups.

The hours really aren't an exaggeration, they're crazy and totally unsustainable. It's basically 70+ hour weeks punctuated by the occasional series of all nighters around filing/other major events. Bankruptcy in general is pretty crazy right now for a variety of reasons (e.g. the implosion of the retail industry) but we're getting it disproportionately. Having said that when bankruptcy is slow (it's a cyclical practice) we're basically dead.

I genuinely enjoy my work, and the training is great, but if you're thinking about this area I think you should be aware that you're going to work a lot and make your decision accordingly.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:09 pm

I've heard that Weil is pretty much the busiest it has ever been.

Also I know they are heavily trying to recruit laterals. They have about 3 junior openings right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(I'm on pace for ~3500 hours this year and it's getting busier).
Does this 3,500 include periods of lull or does it assume that you will be working at your current, frenetic pace until the end of your firm's fiscal year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:(I'm on pace for ~3500 hours this year and it's getting busier).
Does this 3,500 include periods of lull or does it assume that you will be working at your current, frenetic pace until the end of your firm's fiscal year?
I'm not expecting any significant lulls given what I know is coming down the pipe for us. I do fully intend to take the max amount of vacation I can though so end of year hours won't be this high.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Cleary Gottlieb, Paul Weiss, or Milbank for restructuring?

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Does this include travel time? If so, how much? Also, is that average for your group? You say it is unsustainable, so what do you do when you burn out? are other firms hiring? Also, are there decent mid size or small firms to do restructuring at or is it only big law? Obvously the big cases are big law, but does mid market go to smaller firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Cleary Gottlieb, Paul Weiss, or Milbank for restructuring?
Weil and Kirkland are traditionally the best debtor-side firms. Davis Polk and Milbank are traditionally the best creditor-side firms.

Cleary does a lot of sovereign debt work internationally, and Paul Weiss does a lot of creditor-side work. Other firms like Akin, Jones Day, Latham, and Skadden come up in the mix too as top restructuring practices.

All firms mentioned are elite firms in restructuring, and you will have a chance to do a mix of debtor/creditor work at any of these firms, but firms will generally work primarily one side over the other.

For your reference:
http://www.thedeal.com/out-of-court/
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zhenders wrote:My understanding of restructuring is that if you really want to go into that kind of work, you are going to need to come to terms with a very difficult schedule. Restructuring and Bankruptcy, by their natures, are incredibly time sensitive; when an issue is live, you're working -- A LOT.

Associate from above.

This sums it up pretty well. There are a number of good firms out there that do solid restructuring work, but you have to understand that the large majority of the big debtor side cases go to KE/Weil and this puts a lot of very time sensitive work on small practice groups.

The hours really aren't an exaggeration, they're crazy and totally unsustainable. It's basically 70+ hour weeks punctuated by the occasional series of all nighters around filing/other major events. Bankruptcy in general is pretty crazy right now for a variety of reasons (e.g. the implosion of the retail industry) but we're getting it disproportionately. Having said that when bankruptcy is slow (it's a cyclical practice) we're basically dead.

I genuinely enjoy my work, and the training is great, but if you're thinking about this area I think you should be aware that you're going to work a lot and make your decision accordingly.
Can you pm? I'd love to ask some more specifics

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Cleary Gottlieb, Paul Weiss, or Milbank for restructuring?
Weil and Kirkland are traditionally the best debtor-side firms. Davis Polk and Milbank are traditionally the best creditor-side firms.

Cleary does a lot of sovereign debt work internationally, and Paul Weiss does a lot of creditor-side work. Other firms like Akin, Jones Day, Latham, and Skadden come up in the mix too as top restructuring practices.

All firms mentioned are elite firms in restructuring, and you will have a chance to do a mix of debtor/creditor work at any of these firms, but firms will generally work primarily one side over the other.

For your reference:
http://www.thedeal.com/out-of-court/
Thanks for this list. Latham #1 on one side and #2 on the other, didn't realize it was such a player there. I'm sure these things are to be taken with a grain of salt, though.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm

I was an associate at one of these firms, although not in restructuring. Restructuring associates have TERRIBLE hours, on par with top tier investment banking. The hours are just really, really bad, even for biglaw. Everything is a fire drill.

Also, the exit options are not that great. You'd have better exit ops doing pure transactional work/tax/employee benefits. I knew a bunch of restructuring associates who ended up lateraling into another practice area like finance, etc.

I'm not sure why anyone would do restructuring. If you're going to work those hours for $200k, might as well just work 3 jobs - a full time 9 to 5, a part time night job and a part time weekend job. It'd probably be much less stressful, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm

sublime wrote:
redsox550 wrote:

3500!!! HOLY MOLY
I'd rather just leave the law forever. Biglaw doesn't pay that much money, not enough to bill 3500 hours a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

I'm a restructuring associate, although not at K&E or Weil. I am actively trying to switch practice groups, and as fast as possible. As another poster said, the hours are brutal even by biglaw standards, fire drills all the time, and exit options suck if you're looking for a better lifestyle.

You have to decide what's right for you. But I wouldn't pick restructuring if I was given the opportunity to start over. It sucks from the top firms down to the bottom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a restructuring associate, although not at K&E or Weil. I am actively trying to switch practice groups, and as fast as possible. As another poster said, the hours are brutal even by biglaw standards, fire drills all the time, and exit options suck if you're looking for a better lifestyle.

You have to decide what's right for you. But I wouldn't pick restructuring if I was given the opportunity to start over. It sucks from the top firms down to the bottom.

If you don't mind me asking, what year are you? Which practice are u trying to switch to and how is he attempt going?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

I'm an associate at a top creditor-side firm. The head of the firm gives a talk every year on our performance, and restructuring always tops the list when it comes to billable hours. From what I know of the group, it seems like a miserable life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”