Staff Attorney Positions (non-partner track)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tyler_Durden

New

Staff Attorney Positions (non-partner track)

Postby Tyler_Durden » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm currently clerking for a federal judge and my term is ending in September 2017. I'm interviewing with firms, and one V20 firm wants to interview me for a "staff attorney" position. The listing says that it's non-partner track. The firm is phenomenal and the practice group is an area I'm very interested in. Thoughts?

MrT

Bronze

Re: Staff Attorney Positions (non-partner track)

Postby MrT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I'm currently clerking for a federal judge and my term is ending in September 2017. I'm interviewing with firms, and one V20 firm wants to interview me for a "staff attorney" position. The listing says that it's non-partner track. The firm is phenomenal and the practice group is an area I'm very interested in. Thoughts?

I think the consensus around here is that taking a staff attorney position will limit your ability to ever become an associate.

See:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=275715
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=275400

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Staff Attorney Positions (non-partner track)

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah, don't settle for a staff attorney gig if you are a federal clerk. You should be able to land an associate job.

Return to “Legal Employment�