HALP PLEASE!! W2 Discrepancy for SA???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HALP PLEASE!! W2 Discrepancy for SA???

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your help (I'd REALLY appreciate it if you wise tax savants could help out a fellow TLSer)

My firm said on my W2 that my wages were $36,000, and that I only had around 1k taken out for tax, but when I look at my bank statements (I had everything direct deposit), it only adds up to 26,000. Also it wouldn't make sense for me to make 36,000, as they only pay us 3k a week BEFORE taxes, and I was only there 11 weeks...

Am I missing something here? Is there someone at the firm you suggest I call? Thanks in advance, I'm quite grateful!!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: HALP PLEASE!! W2 Discrepancy for SA???

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Why was your first reaction "I should ask TLS" not "I should ask payroll"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Why was your first reaction "I should ask TLS" not "I should ask payroll"?

Because I'm trying to do my taxes now and I doubt payroll is open at 9:30pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 pm

I'd really appreciate any wisdom you guys could provide

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, thanks in advance for your help (I'd REALLY appreciate it if you wise tax savants could help out a fellow TLSer)

My firm said on my W2 that my wages were $36,000, and that I only had around 1k taken out for tax, but when I look at my bank statements (I had everything direct deposit), it only adds up to 26,000. Also it wouldn't make sense for me to make 36,000, as they only pay us 3k a week BEFORE taxes, and I was only there 11 weeks...

How is the bolded possible? Are you sure you're not misreading your W2 form?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, thanks in advance for your help (I'd REALLY appreciate it if you wise tax savants could help out a fellow TLSer)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, somehow it says I only had $1900 taken out, which doesn't make sense to me because I had that taken out every paycheck (but again, I don't know nearly as much about tax as I admittedly should)

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Yes, somehow it says I only had $1900 taken out, which doesn't make sense to me because I had that taken out every paycheck (but again, I don't know nearly as much about tax as I admittedly should)

The W2 form should show the different types of taxes that have been witheld: federal income, social security, state (assuming you're in a state with state income tax), and possibly local. Whatever your situation, there's more than one box for taxes. Is the $1,900 the total of all of the withheld taxes, or is it just a single tax line?

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd really appreciate any wisdom you guys could provide

If you want to redact your personal info and pm me a pic, I would be happy to take a look.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

The W2 form should show the different types of taxes that have been witheld: federal income, social security, state (assuming you're in a state with state income tax), and possibly local. Whatever your situation, there's more than one box for taxes. Is the $1,900 the total of all of the withheld taxes, or is it just a single tax line?

You're right! Thanks! (and sorry about that) So my NYS tax is 1900, and my local tax is 1200 (isn't that still a little low?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:07 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd really appreciate any wisdom you guys could provide

If you want to redact your personal info and pm me a pic, I would be happy to take a look.

Pming now! Thanks!

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

You're right! Thanks! (and sorry about that) So my NYS tax is 1900, and my local tax is 1200 (isn't that still a little low?)

Once you find your federal tax withholdings, I suspect that the mystery will be solved.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:Once you find your federal tax withholdings, I suspect that the mystery will be solved.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm

dabigchina wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Once you find your federal tax withholdings, I suspect that the mystery will be solved.

Rooting for OP

Return to “Legal Employment�