Conflicts Checks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conflicts Checks

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:46 pm

For those of you who did 1L SAs and have to fill out conflict checks for your 2L summer, how do you fill it out if you forgot most of the information? I feel awkward contacting my 1L firm for info. Do you just do your best guess? I was given some research assignments and wasn't even informed of the client or adverse party sometimes.

fistfullofdollhairs

New

Re: Conflicts Checks

Postby fistfullofdollhairs » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I contacted my prior firm. I was told that it's a common request and shouldn't feel awkward reaching out to them. That said, I wish someone told me to take note of the matters I worked on.

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah you need to contact the firm. Best to do it in one swoop and ask for everything. As your career progresses, different firms may ask for different info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 pm

tbh I just ballparked it. I've worked at 3 biglaw firms and 1 small law firm at this point. I figure there is an absolute 0% chance of some stupid 1 hour assignment ever causing an issue. On my conflict checks I do my best to list the clients, and then when it asks for the subject matter or opposing counsel or whatever i just put "Unknown". Twice in memory I can recall my firm later reaching out and asking me whether XXX client was related to YYY litigation and I just say no it had nothing to do with that.. I have been taking much better conflcit notes after my 3rd firm though b/c i'm sure it won't be my last...and good habit to get into

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Does anyone know how confidential these conflicts checks are? Like, if I'm at a firm right now and I get an offer for a different firm "pending conflict checks," does that mean my current firm is going to know I've been shopping?

Return to “Legal Employment�