fun nyc law firms??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: fun nyc law firms??

Postby Nebby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
merde_happens wrote:
Tiny Rick! wrote:LOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah I guess my wording sounded vapid but this is what I was trying to get at. are there online resources or guides on this type of thing?

Not really, your best bet is probably talking with students that have already summered at firms/paying attention to that sort of stuff during callbacks. You also have the option at certain firms of taking "second looks", which are more relaxed/casual in nature - those might give you a better sense of how people interact with one another socially/outside of the office.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Yeah lol wtf and all that, but to actually answer your question, my buddy at PW (corporate) did a lot more stuff like this than we did at my firm, where it was very partner-dependent (i.e. individual partners would invite or ok associates to go to sports events, do bar tabs, etc. on the firm's dime) and thus more rare. So maybe PW?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:You are taking a beating here and i get why, but it's not actually a terrible question. Firms in the city are pretty varied in what level and types of morale boosting fringe benefits they offer and there's not great information on it.

The real issue is that it's not a good reason to choose between firms but it may make more of a difference than some other stupid grasps at differentiating factors that get discussed here.

yeah I guess my wording sounded vapid but this is what I was trying to get at. are there online resources or guides on this type of thing?

I feel bad now. I don't think folks are LOL'ing at you for being vapid; they're more LOL'ing at the notion that the words "fun" and "nyc law firms" can go together.

Anyway, I'll say this: some firms are known for being more fun and freespending when it comes to summer-associate events; the regular associates are often invited to those events as well. Latham and PW both fall into that category. I'm sure there are others.

But outside of summer-associate events and holiday parties, most firm-subsidized fun will be, as Lincoln suggested, dependent on the groups or partners you're working with. It can be hit or miss.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:51 pm

firm-subsidized fun actually kinda blows IME if you're someone thats actually tryna turn up. when shit's firm subsidized inevitably the wrong person will show up thinking that they are invited and will inevitably have a bad time which can then blow back hard on the ppl that actually got turnt

I would give specific examples from intern events I've personally been part of or hosted but they'd be very outing

much better to find your own actual crew from work (if ur careful and selective) or non-work friends where ur all on the same page so u can actually turn up and have fun. IF this is what u actually mean, then just select a firm with a lot of chill seeming young associates in ur practice group. If ur firm has a lot of chill young assocs u will def b able to find ppl to turn up with. just don't join a practice group with 99% married ppl or ur gonna have a bad time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:firm-subsidized fun actually kinda blows IME if you're someone thats actually tryna turn up. when shit's firm subsidized inevitably the wrong person will show up thinking that they are invited and will inevitably have a bad time which can then blow back hard on the ppl that actually got turnt

I would give specific examples from intern events I've personally been part of or hosted but they'd be very outing

much better to find your own actual crew from work (if ur careful and selective) or non-work friends where ur all on the same page so u can actually turn up and have fun. IF this is what u actually mean, then just select a firm with a lot of chill seeming young associates in ur practice group. If ur firm has a lot of chill young assocs u will def b able to find ppl to turn up with. just don't join a practice group with 99% married ppl or ur gonna have a bad time

@rpumkin dw I dont take it personally I get why people here went in on me. thanks everyone for recommending firms, and thanks ballouttacontrol because I needed this perspective

dailygrind

Diamond

Postby dailygrind » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Isn't Willkie famous for this sort of thing? Maybe that's just from back when I was going through OCI.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 pm

It's probably one of the frattiest firms in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:12 am

Rahviveh wrote:Latham, Skadden, Paul Weiss.

I'm at one of these firms and the generous perks are definitely appreciated.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:17 am

i hear skadden has a cheese plates...that sounds pretty fun

edited
Last edited by Abbie Doobie on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:firm-subsidized fun actually kinda blows IME if you're someone thats actually tryna turn up. when shit's firm subsidized inevitably the wrong person will show up thinking that they are invited and will inevitably have a bad time which can then blow back hard on the ppl that actually got turnt

Never has a post matched the poster's handle better than this..

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 am

This post is amazing.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:

@rpumkin dw I dont take it personally I get why people here went in on me. thanks everyone for recommending firms, and thanks ballouttacontrol because I needed this perspective

You understood that??

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Fun summer or fun associate experience? Those can be very different

Return to “Legal Employment�