Paul Hastings Offer Rate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.


Appreciate the warning. What practice group are you?


Not the poster above, but the bolded is true of my practice group and I'm in corporate. Seriously, if you can help it, stay away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.


Appreciate the warning. What practice group are you?


Not the poster above, but the bolded is true of my practice group and I'm in corporate. Seriously, if you can help it, stay away.


Don't have the culture problem in my office but we probably over hired, my group is extremely bottom heavy, not sure what they are going to do when the incoming class joins this fall.

pml87
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby pml87 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm

I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:25 pm

pml87 wrote:I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.


Or maybe you got cold offered because of your writing skills . . .

pml87
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby pml87 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:47 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
pml87 wrote:I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.


Or maybe you got cold offered because of your writing skills . . .


This is not the first time you acted like a pain in the neck. Is there something wrong with you? Anger management issues, perhaps? No, I didn't summer for PH. You seem so ready to assume ulterior motive.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 1422
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 am

pml87 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
pml87 wrote:I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.


Or maybe you got cold offered because of your writing skills . . .


This is not the first time you acted like a pain in the neck. Is there something wrong with you? Anger management issues, perhaps? No, I didn't summer for PH. You seem so ready to assume ulterior motive.


I think no-offering (or cold offering) someone based on poor writing skills is more legitimate than doing the same for over hiring. So no, not ready to assume ulterior motives.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

Heard from people who summered in the NY office that they drastically overhired, but that the firm said they'd find space for everyone

dabigchina
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby dabigchina » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from people who summered in the NY office that they drastically overhired, but that the firm said they'd find space for everyone

The firm openly communicated to associates that they over hired? That seems like a bad sign...

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.


Seriously my condolences man, it's quite obvious there is something seriously wrong with PH LA at the moment, business-wise, it's not a reflection on you. The 2150 hours is nonsense, I'm quite confident most people in your group didn't hit that last year. Out of curiosity, are you junior (1-3 years), midlevel, or senior? Obviously start looking and talking to recruiters. Try to ask for more website time (if they offered 3 months, ask for 6 months at least).

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 5921
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Borhas » Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.


stop working so hard at the job, and start working out more and sleeping better and all the stuff you wanted to do but didn't quite have the time for, and apply for jobs at less shitty firms.

Given all the issues with the firm I think you can rule out your own shittiness as a factor, don't think of it as getting fired but more like a soft getting laid off

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 am

PH first year here. It's been communicated in my office that the incoming class is larger than anticipated and they're not sure what they're going to do with them all. Given what's happening at Dechert and the strange circumstances under which the last anon was let go, should PH associates be worried?

User avatar
Martin Brody
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Martin Brody » Fri May 26, 2017 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:PH first year here. It's been communicated in my office that the incoming class is larger than anticipated and they're not sure what they're going to do with them all. Given what's happening at Dechert and the strange circumstances under which the last anon was let go, should PH associates be worried?


Nope. Everything sounds like it's going great!

(Jump ship ASAP)

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I wouldn't start looking unless you aren't busy. Then I would.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm

It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/breaking ... s-layoffs/

User avatar
Pokemon
Posts: 3075
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Pokemon » Wed May 31, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/breaking ... s-layoffs/


Damn, this is bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 287543
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Remember, this is the BEST FIRM to work for according to various surveys . . . that talent development purposely juices by bugging certain associates to take surveys and not sending it to trouble makers.

Npret
Posts: 1155
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby Npret » Wed May 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remember, this is the BEST FIRM to work for according to various surveys . . . that talent development purposely juices by bugging certain associates to take surveys and not sending it to trouble makers.

Every firm goes over the surveys with associates who get them. I got calls from recruiting just to remind me to say good stuff.

HonestAdvice
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/breaking ... s-layoffs/


Damn, this is bad.

I'm sure this has happened 100s of time before (death in the family, illness, etc.). She's just the only one who wrote an e-mail about it. I'm not defending it, but am pointing out that human nature is to not to broadcast deeply personal information and that for every story like this there are probably several hundred that go untold.

throwaway6856767
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Postby throwaway6856767 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 pm

So I'm one of the individuals who will be in the LA Office this upcoming summer as a summer associate. Obviously reading this thread, I'm worried, but it's not like I have too many other options at this rate. What would any of y'all suggest for how to approach the situation, besides keeping my eye out and trying to a) see if the above rumors are true and b) obviously putting my best foot forward in terms of work product.

Also, if any of the above posters wouldn't mind PMing me with any other information, that'd be fantastic.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.