SMU - Middle Market firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Wondering which middle market firms to target in Dallas that pay the 90K-110K range that would take an SMU kid that did fairly well. My grades are good but I'm not a good interviewer. Don't have high expectations for myself and know my budget. I am a complete workhorse so I don't mind doing bitch work or working long hours. Just wondering if all else fails what I could do to pay back my loans and work with good people. Any advice from people in the Dallas market greatly appreciated. Any advice from some pretentious T14 ass who thinks SMU can suck it can cordially move on because I am not insecure about my intelligence. I went to SMU not because it was the best school I could get into but because I love Dallas and my girlfriend is here.

User avatar
Leprechaun

Bronze
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Leprechaun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 am

Have you tried Carrington, Coleman or Munch Hardt or Kelly, Hart Hallman (Ft. Worth)?

I think they all pay more than the range you are looking for and I know at least two of those three hire Aggies so I presume they'd hire Ponies as well.

Good luck!

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Need more information about your grades - are you top half? Top third? Top quarter? It's going to matter as to which firms you target.

Carrington Coleman and Kelly Hart are surprisingly picky about grades. Munsch is an absolutely brutal place to work.

favabeansoup

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 am

Tagging for later.

I have a good list of Texas/Dallas firms I can post that will be helpful. Need to find it first.

Middle market is pretty broad though. There's no clear band of firms that pay 90-110k. There might only be a few firms in town that do that and takes on law students right out of school. Pay ranges above that will generally be the biglaw shops.

favabeansoup

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby favabeansoup » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf

Found it this should be helpful in your search

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:59 am

Are you a 2016 grad? It's hard to tell from your post if you're still in school or not.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:00 am

Also maybe chill out and stop being so insecure about your intelligence.

cougs1112

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby cougs1112 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:00 am

Tag

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 am

BigZuck wrote:Also maybe chill out and stop being so insecure about your intelligence.

If you read almost any post about smu on this place a bunch of people just hop on to say you should've gone somewhere better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 am

favabeansoup wrote:http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/tx/TX-Top100-Charts-0816.pdf

Found it this should be helpful in your search


Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Most of these firms pay their associates over $80K/year:

SettlePou
Meadows Collier
Gray Reed
Cowles & Thompson
Quilling Selander
Fletcher Farley
McGlinchey Stafford
Shakelford Bowen
Wick Phillips
Kane Russell
McCathern
McGuire Craddock
Coats Rose
Hartline Dacus
Bowman and Brooke
Barnes and Thornburg
Thompson Coe
Phelps Dunbar
Baron & Budd
Waters and Kraus
Downs Stafford
Strasburger & Price
Zelle
Godwin
Conner & Winters
Stutzman Bromberg
Parsons McEntrie
Wilson Elser
Gordon & Rees
Fee Smith
Simon Greenstone

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most of these firms pay their associates over $80K/year:

SettlePou
Meadows Collier
Gray Reed
Cowles & Thompson
Quilling Selander
Fletcher Farley
McGlinchey Stafford
Shakelford Bowen
Wick Phillips
Kane Russell
McCathern
McGuire Craddock
Coats Rose
Hartline Dacus
Bowman and Brooke
Barnes and Thornburg
Thompson Coe
Phelps Dunbar
Baron & Budd
Waters and Kraus
Downs Stafford
Strasburger & Price
Zelle
Godwin
Conner & Winters
Stutzman Bromberg
Parsons McEntrie
Wilson Elser
Gordon & Rees
Fee Smith
Simon Greenstone


You sir/ma'am are a gentleman/lady and a scholar!

A12345

Bronze
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby A12345 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Need more information about your grades - are you top half? Top third? Top quarter? It's going to matter as to which firms you target.

Carrington Coleman and Kelly Hart are surprisingly picky about grades. Munsch is an absolutely brutal place to work.



Curious as to what makes you say that. I know a few associates over there and they all have good things to say and have said the turnover seems much lower than other similar firms.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby kalvano » Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 pm

A12345 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Need more information about your grades - are you top half? Top third? Top quarter? It's going to matter as to which firms you target.

Carrington Coleman and Kelly Hart are surprisingly picky about grades. Munsch is an absolutely brutal place to work.



Curious as to what makes you say that. I know a few associates over there and they all have good things to say and have said the turnover seems much lower than other similar firms.


Friends / former associates.

A12345

Bronze
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby A12345 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:54 am

kalvano wrote:
A12345 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Need more information about your grades - are you top half? Top third? Top quarter? It's going to matter as to which firms you target.

Carrington Coleman and Kelly Hart are surprisingly picky about grades. Munsch is an absolutely brutal place to work.



Curious as to what makes you say that. I know a few associates over there and they all have good things to say and have said the turnover seems much lower than other similar firms.


Friends / former associates.


Interesting. Thanks.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most of these firms pay their associates over $80K/year:

SettlePou- Don't work here. I worked here. Thought I was a lock. They no offered all the clerks, fired about 6 associates and another 5 or 6 staff members right after that. They didn't even give anyone time to look for a new job. They literally called them into the conference room, said they were fired, and escorted them out of the building. That being said, there are some great people at this firm but damn did they screw a lot of people over. Worst part of the whole thing, they withdrew a recently graduated 3L's offer one week before she was supposed to start. She had been relying on that offer for a year then they pulled it just like that. Stay away.
Meadows Collier
Gray Reed
Cowles & Thompson
Quilling Selander
Fletcher Farley
McGlinchey Stafford
Shakelford Bowen
Wick PhillipsI've heard great things about this firm. Pretty sure they pay somewhere around 130 or so. I think you need to be in the top 1/3 to have a shot.
Kane Russell
McCathern
McGuire Craddock
Coats Rose
Hartline Dacus- I've also heard really good stuff about this place too. I think they start at 140. Need to be in top 1/3 to have a shot.
Bowman and Brooke
Barnes and Thornburg
Thompson Coe
Phelps Dunbar
Baron & Budd
Waters and Kraus- They only do mass tort plaintiff work.
Downs Stafford
Strasburger & Price
Zelle- They only do insurance defense work. Start at $120 I think.
Godwin
Conner & Winters
Stutzman Bromberg
Parsons McEntrie
Wilson Elser
Gordon & Rees
Fee Smith
Simon Greenstone
Last edited by TheJanitor6203 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Here's a few other firms that haven't been mentioned that (I think) all start in the $80+ range:

Carrington Coleman
Geary, Porter & Donovan
Hallett & Perrin
Liechty & McGinnis
Munck Wilson Mandala
Scheef & Stone
Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff
Vela Wood- All the first year associates they've hired recently worked for them during law school so if you're interested, try to get a part time job there during the school year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 am

Meadows Collier is one of the stronger midmarket tax shops I've found, if that's an interest for you. Nice people too

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:12 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Here's a few other firms that haven't been mentioned that (I think) all start in the $80+ range:

Carrington Coleman
Geary, Porter & Donovan
Hallett & Perrin
Liechty & McGinnis
Munck Wilson Mandala
Scheef & Stone
Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff
Vela Wood- All the first year associates they've hired recently worked for them during law school so if you're interested, try to get a part time job there during the school year.


Any idea what Munck, Scheef, and/or Shannon Gracey pay first years?

Edit - just tried to find for myself and looks like Shannon Gracey dissolved in February.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325903
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:Here's a few other firms that haven't been mentioned that (I think) all start in the $80+ range:

Carrington Coleman
Geary, Porter & Donovan
Hallett & Perrin
Liechty & McGinnis
Munck Wilson Mandala
Scheef & Stone
Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff
Vela Wood- All the first year associates they've hired recently worked for them during law school so if you're interested, try to get a part time job there during the school year.


Any idea what Munck, Scheef, and/or Shannon Gracey pay first years?

Edit - just tried to find for myself and looks like Shannon Gracey dissolved in February.


Bump, still curious

User avatar
TheJanitor6203

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:Here's a few other firms that haven't been mentioned that (I think) all start in the $80+ range:

Carrington Coleman
Geary, Porter & Donovan
Hallett & Perrin
Liechty & McGinnis
Munck Wilson Mandala
Scheef & Stone
Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff
Vela Wood- All the first year associates they've hired recently worked for them during law school so if you're interested, try to get a part time job there during the school year.


Any idea what Munck, Scheef, and/or Shannon Gracey pay first years?

Edit - just tried to find for myself and looks like Shannon Gracey dissolved in February.


Bump, still curious

I'd guess Munck starts around $120 but it's purely a guess. Don't know enough about Scheef to even guess.

Cshark440

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Cshark440 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by Cshark440 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Cshark440

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby Cshark440 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Zelle- They only do insurance defense work. Start at $120 I think.

This is incorrect.

perrinep

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Re: SMU - Middle Market firms

Postby perrinep » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Here's a few other firms that haven't been mentioned that (I think) all start in the $80+ range:

Carrington Coleman
Geary, Porter & Donovan
Hallett & Perrin
Liechty & McGinnis
Munck Wilson Mandala
Scheef & Stone
Shannon, Gracey, Ratliff
Vela Wood- All the first year associates they've hired recently worked for them during law school so if you're interested, try to get a part time job there during the school year.


Hallett & Perrin does not hire first years, they strictly hire laterals w/ usually a minimum of 3 years experience.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.