Any issue switching from REPAYE to PAYE?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
grixxlybear99

Bronze

Any issue switching from REPAYE to PAYE?

Postby grixxlybear99 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi, I'm considering switching from REPAYE to PAYE this upcoming year. I've been on REPAYE for approximately ~7 months. I intend on taking advantage of PSLF after the 10 year mark. Any foreseeable issues when considering only my switch from REPAYE to PAYE? Not very good with these sorts of things. Thanks.

Earl is here

New

Re: Any issue switching from REPAYE to PAYE?

Postby Earl is here » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Not an expert, but I think any unpaid interest you've accrued will be added to the principal of the loan when you switch payment plans. If you're planning to pay your loans off, could be something to consider.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 pm

yeah interest gets capitalized. but that shouldnt matter if you get pslf debt forgiven after 10 years.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 pm

One has to imagine that Congress will do away with the tax bomb for non-pslf people. Or maybe be this is just wishful thinking.

lapolicia

Bronze

Postby lapolicia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Might be a dumb question, but why would anyone want to switch from RePAYE to regular PAYE? Aren't they essentially the same thing if you plan on using PSLF (I know about the 20 vs 25 year difference for non PSLF)?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:51 pm

lapolicia wrote:Might be a dumb question, but why would anyone want to switch from RePAYE to regular PAYE? Aren't they essentially the same thing if you plan on using PSLF (I know about the 20 vs 25 year difference for non PSLF)?

I believe it has to do with if you get married, in certain circumstances. Something about different ways they calculate when MFS

Return to “Legal Employment�