Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:37 am

Second year at a v20. Totally burnt out, law school loans are paid and don't see myself practicing corporate law as a career. How long can I coast before getting the axe?

Have been much slower this year but feel like I'll at least get a warning about hours before the formal request to get out. As far as work quality goes, probably middle of the pack. Decidedly way less eager beaver about the job than a lot of other second year associates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am

Have you thought about going to litigation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

OP here. Biglaw lit seems just as garbage-y.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:24 am

2nd year here too, based on my current search, had we spent that year in investment banking or management consulting, we'd have a much easier route to corporate jobs

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:2nd year here too, based on my current search, had we spent that year in investment banking or management consulting, we'd have a much easier route to corporate jobs


What makes you think you'd be able to get a job in investment banking or management consulting?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 am

Depends on your firm, but wild-ass guess, I'd bet you can stick for a year or two at the level you're describing.

Of course you may also find that the job isn't quite so bad when you've decided not to give a shit.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 am

If you're main M&A, have you tried maneuvering into specialist work like tax, employment, healthcare, or Antitrust? Seems to be a slightly better lifestyle.

ETA: 60-hour billable weeks thanking my stars I'm not one those 80-hour-a-week M&A saps

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:If you're main M&A, have you tried maneuvering into specialist work like tax, employment, healthcare, or Antitrust? Seems to be a slightly better lifestyle.

ETA: 60-hour billable weeks thanking my stars I'm not one those 80-hour-a-week M&A saps


OP again - 60 hours billed per week, over and over again is not my idea of a fulfilling existence

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 am

First year here who already feels burnt out.. if I were you (ie no loans), I'll start looking into gov jobs in low col cities.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:If you're main M&A, have you tried maneuvering into specialist work like tax, employment, healthcare, or Antitrust? Seems to be a slightly better lifestyle.

ETA: 60-hour billable weeks thanking my stars I'm not one those 80-hour-a-week M&A saps


OP again - 60 hours billed per week, over and over again is not my idea of a fulfilling existence

Yeah, that was my way of poking fun at myself as soon as I offered the suggestion.

If you don't like what you do then why even coast (I know, Dem golden handcuffs)? Think about what you really want to be doing in life and make a move towards that while coasting but don't make coasting itself a goal for any longer than it's necessary to move on.

User avatar
sundance95

Gold
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby sundance95 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm

You should leave New York.

User avatar
kellyfrost

Platinum
Posts: 6361
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby kellyfrost » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Based upon the title of this thread, it does appear that you are really burnt out, and aren't concerened with making small mistakes.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Based upon the title of this thread, it does appear that you are really burnt out, and aren't concerened with making small mistakes.


lol very true

User avatar
smokeylarue

Silver
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby smokeylarue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Assuming you made your hours first year, you can probably cruise another 1.5 years at a minimum.

User avatar
Pokemon

Gold
Posts: 3527
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Pokemon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

God I am also so burned out by this job but have too much debt. Jealous of you op.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Whatever you do, don't burn bridges. Future employers (esp government) will need references, so at least keep a few good contacts at the firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313511
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2nd year here too, based on my current search, had we spent that year in investment banking or management consulting, we'd have a much easier route to corporate jobs


What makes you think you'd be able to get a job in investment banking or management consulting?


I know people who went from biglaw to MBB...they all had business degrees, though.

corporatemandaorbust

New
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: Burnt out a don't care about biglaw

Postby corporatemandaorbust » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2nd year here too, based on my current search, had we spent that year in investment banking or management consulting, we'd have a much easier route to corporate jobs


What makes you think you'd be able to get a job in investment banking or management consulting?


I know people who went from biglaw to MBB...they all had business degrees, though.


As in MBAs or just undergrad business degrees? I don't think undergrad would make a difference unless it was a good brand.

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DF Thread

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:48 pm

DF Thread



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.