Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
philepistemer

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby philepistemer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm sure many other people have said this by now but there are so many meaningful things you could do besides spend another 4 years incurring debt in another professional school. Most physicians recommend not going to medical school, so this will basically be law school 2.0. Learn from your mistakes.

snowball2

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby snowball2 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TLDR; Is a pre-med post bacc in the evenings for two years doable with biglaw if I want it bad enough?


"Want[ing] it bad enough" has little to do with it. My first years as a lawyer I had a very long stretch of 8AM-Midnight work days (Monday through Saturday). After that I had to travel out of town Sunday-Thursday for 6 weeks straight for a trial. I'm not sure if I would have had the balls to say "oh, I'll need several hours off a few evenings each week" or if it would have elicited a response beyond "get back to work." You get the biglaw bucks because you are effectively chattel.

Even a few years in (assuming you make it there given that you "cannot stand the idea of being a lawyer") you're not going to have enough control over your life to dictate regular evenings off. This kind of speculative dreaming only works when you aren't in the thick of it. Once you start working -- and have to commit to remaining employed - you'll have a more realistic perspective on what's possible.

NYC2012

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:30 pm

.
Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby gaddockteeg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I'll go against the rest of the people here.

I think you should do it. Post-bacc at night isn't that much different than part-time LLM.

Your work will suffer but if youre not passionate about it, who cares. I come from a family of doctors and I can tell you that med schools will love your story about giving up a big law job to pursue your real passion -- so assuming you have strong enough GPA/MCAT, I think you'll get in.

Just remember that you have 2 years of post bacc, 4 years of med school, and 4-ish years of residency ahead of you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:I'll go against the rest of the people here.

I think you should do it. Post-bacc at night isn't that much different than part-time LLM.

Your work will suffer but if youre not passionate about it, who cares. I come from a family of doctors and I can tell you that med schools will love your story about giving up a big law job to pursue your real passion -- so assuming you have strong enough GPA/MCAT, I think you'll get in.

Just remember that you have 2 years of post bacc, 4 years of med school, and 4-ish years of residency ahead of you.


T-14 grad here, a few years out. A guy in my class did a post bac shortly after graduating. He's now almost done with med school. He had a 169 LSAT score, and I think he owned the MCAT (perfect score on the verbal section), because he got into 14 (yes, 14) medical schools as a white guy. I'm sure him being a law grad also helped. He probably did better in MD admissions than JD admissions....

That said, OP needs to be absolutely sure this is what he wants to do. Do you want to spend most of your adult life in school and possibly in debt?

There are so many career paths - why choose professions with notoriously worse QOL than others?

I'm leaning towards "bad idea" unless you can provide concrete experiences (like work experiences) that show that you truly want to be a doctor. Otherwise, it looks like you're just degree collecting/prestige whoring, just like you did with your JD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Also, biglaw hours are like certain residency hours - get ready for 60-65 hour work weeks....I don't see how a post-bac is doable unless they hand out As like candy (which may be possible).

I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.) - but you still need time to study. How will you be able to put in the time while working biglaw hours?

User avatar
nunumaster

Silver
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby nunumaster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Do med schools give full rides the way law schools do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm

nunumaster wrote:Do med schools give full rides the way law schools do?


Yes, but I think they are hard to get if you're not URM.

That said, apparently a 169 LSATer can own the MCAT (esp the verbal section), so who knows...OP might do really well.

User avatar
glitched

Silver
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, biglaw hours are like certain residency hours - get ready for 60-65 hour work weeks....I don't see how a post-bac is doable unless they hand out As like candy (which may be possible).

I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.) - but you still need time to study. How will you be able to put in the time while working biglaw hours?


Lol ochem isn't hard?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.)



Lol at the idea that premed courses are "high School level" with "some bio". Great use of Anon posting, too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.)



Lol at the idea that premed courses are "high School level" with "some bio". Great use of Anon posting, too.


If you took AP calc, AP physics, AP chem, AP bio, etc. in high school, it's pretty much all high school level. Only non high school level course is O-chem. Not all of us who went to law school were dumbasses at math and science. I'd bet most of us who ended up at a top law school took all of these classes in high school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:15 pm

glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, biglaw hours are like certain residency hours - get ready for 60-65 hour work weeks....I don't see how a post-bac is doable unless they hand out As like candy (which may be possible).

I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.) - but you still need time to study. How will you be able to put in the time while working biglaw hours?


Lol ochem isn't hard?


It might be, depending on where you go. I know a number of people who are now residents who got 500-600 on the math portion of the SAT though, so obviously you don't need to be a genius to do okay in premed classes and get into med school. Just work hard and not be a dumbass, and you'll probably get in somewhere.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby grades?? » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Im down with OP going. Would be a great story to tell his grandkids when he finally finishes school again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 pm

grades?? wrote:Im down with OP going. Would be a great story to tell his grandkids when he finally finishes school again.


If he can afford having a family...just lol @ spending the next 15 years of your life poor and back in school again.

I don't think going is a bad idea if he is willing to forgo having a family...but if he wants a family, just lol @ spending the next 12-15 years of his life broke and paying tuition.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
grades?? wrote:Im down with OP going. Would be a great story to tell his grandkids when he finally finishes school again.


If he can afford having a family...just lol @ spending the next 15 years of your life poor and back in school again.

I don't think going is a bad idea if he is willing to forgo having a family...but if he wants a family, just lol @ spending the next 12-15 years of his life broke and paying tuition.


Second that.

Why go through another 4 long years of school, then residency where you make like 70k for 3 years? Zero family time while in biglaw and studying after work everyday for postbacc. You'll be like 40 when you start making 6 figures as a doctor, and even then, will have probably 250k in med school loans. Entire life of school and debt

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
grades?? wrote:Im down with OP going. Would be a great story to tell his grandkids when he finally finishes school again.


If he can afford having a family...just lol @ spending the next 15 years of your life poor and back in school again.

I don't think going is a bad idea if he is willing to forgo having a family...but if he wants a family, just lol @ spending the next 12-15 years of his life broke and paying tuition.


Second that.

Why go through another 4 long years of school, then residency where you make like 70k for 3 years? Zero family time while in biglaw and studying after work everyday for postbacc. You'll be like 40 when you start making 6 figures as a doctor, and even then, will have probably 250k in med school loans. Entire life of school and debt


I dont know why you kept going with law school if you hated it so much... Didn't you realize, i.e. 1L summer job, that you hated it and couldnt see yourself doing it?

Sorry for not giving advice and talking about things in the past, but it is just mind boggling you would go all 3 years, get a job, then say "nope, this isn't for me, I want to go to medical school."

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11731
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.)



Lol at the idea that premed courses are "high School level" with "some bio". Great use of Anon posting, too.

This is some next level stuff right here

Bravo Anon #2

BobBoblaw

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby BobBoblaw » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 am

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I personally don't think the premed classes themselves are that hard (it's high school level math and physics, some bio, etc.)



Lol at the idea that premed courses are "high School level" with "some bio". Great use of Anon posting, too.

This is some next level stuff right here

Bravo Anon #2



oops, that was me, must've accidentally pressed the 'Anon' quote button with my fat fingers when replying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313194
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Biglaw + Pre-med Post Bacc?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
grades?? wrote:Im down with OP going. Would be a great story to tell his grandkids when he finally finishes school again.


If he can afford having a family...just lol @ spending the next 15 years of your life poor and back in school again.

I don't think going is a bad idea if he is willing to forgo having a family...but if he wants a family, just lol @ spending the next 12-15 years of his life broke and paying tuition.


Second that.

Why go through another 4 long years of school, then residency where you make like 70k for 3 years? Zero family time while in biglaw and studying after work everyday for postbacc. You'll be like 40 when you start making 6 figures as a doctor, and even then, will have probably 250k in med school loans. Entire life of school and debt


I dont know why you kept going with law school if you hated it so much... Didn't you realize, i.e. 1L summer job, that you hated it and couldnt see yourself doing it?

Sorry for not giving advice and talking about things in the past, but it is just mind boggling you would go all 3 years, get a job, then say "nope, this isn't for me, I want to go to medical school."



OP here. It came down to not being able to bring myself to drop out of school without something else in hand. I also thought I might get the big fed job that I was gunning for all these years (and went to law school for). Didn't pan out.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.