*asked/answered (close)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

*asked/answered (close)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:14 am

thanks
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Re: Transfer student...should I do a journal 3L year (with SA)?

Postby acr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a SA with a midlaw firm in a secondary market with a somewhat personal relationship with a partner. I transferred to a T20 and went to a well respected undergrad (esp. where I'm going to practice). I got accepted to transfer post write-on and am not on a journal. I can write on to a journal for my 3L year.

My first semester grades were not super great (over a 3.0, but low (below median) probably due to a mix of relaxing after getting a SA, and getting last digs at registering). My past grades were at a T1 and were really good.

My question is: should I write on to a secondary journal? My gut is telling me yes. My SA has indicated that they want attorneys /their summers to stay for a long time/get hired, but of course I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. Also, I know this is kind of a lame thread/question, but its been bothering me. My lazy side kind of doesn't want to do an extensive write-on (if required), bluebook exam, and potentially be embarrassed when submitting transcripts while working this summer.

Err...embarrassed about what?

And also how does "getting last digs at registering" result in "not super great" grades?

Having said that, if it were me, I would do the write-on for the sake of landing flagship Law Review. If you already have an SA at a 100% offer firm, then I see no convincing reason to staff-edit a useless secondary. But personally I would take the position on Law Review if offered. And even if you decide you want to take a position on a secondary, it's not like it requires that much work. Journal is pretty easy to half-ass. You don't seem to have any reason not to do it other than "laziness," which doesn't seem like a great reason.

But seriously though it doesn't require this much thought.

Anonymous User

Re: Transfer student...should I do a journal 3L year (with SA)?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 am

acr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a SA with a midlaw firm in a secondary market with a somewhat personal relationship with a partner. I transferred to a T20 and went to a well respected undergrad (esp. where I'm going to practice). I got accepted to transfer post write-on and am not on a journal. I can write on to a journal for my 3L year.

My first semester grades were not super great (over a 3.0, but low (below median) probably due to a mix of relaxing after getting a SA, and getting last digs at registering). My past grades were at a T1 and were really good.

My question is: should I write on to a secondary journal? My gut is telling me yes. My SA has indicated that they want attorneys /their summers to stay for a long time/get hired, but of course I'm going to take that with a grain of salt. If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. Also, I know this is kind of a lame thread/question, but its been bothering me. My lazy side kind of doesn't want to do an extensive write-on (if required), bluebook exam, and potentially be embarrassed when submitting transcripts while working this summer.

Err...embarrassed about what?

And also how does "getting last digs at registering" result in "not super great" grades?

Having said that, if it were me, I would do the write-on for the sake of landing flagship Law Review. If you already have an SA at a 100% offer firm, then I see no convincing reason to staff-edit a useless secondary. But personally I would take the position on Law Review if offered. And even if you decide you want to take a position on a secondary, it's not like it requires that much work. Journal is pretty easy to half-ass.

But seriously though it doesn't require this much thought.

Thanks. I can't write on flagship (sucks). That's why I'm having some weird internal debate about whether some secondary journal is even worth doing.

The late registering thing kind of sucked because all the less curve intensive classes were full and I ended up taking a lot of with curves similar to 1L classes plus my schedule was all over the place during the day (and getting the "hard" curvers. Of course it's a shitty excuse tbh (which I'd never mention to my firm).

Return to “Legal Employment�