Applying to firms after given offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to firms after given offer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 pm

2L - From an ethical standpoint, is it wrong to keep applying for summer jobs after you've secured one. I have an offer from a firm to work the whole summer. The day after that was finalized I had an interview with another firm and told them I could work the second half of the summer. I figured it's not a bad idea to have a back up plan in case the first firm doesn't work out for whatever reason and that I'd email the second firm a couple weeks before I'm due to start. Keep in mind these are both small firms. Is this wrong? Is it wrong to keep applying to have multiple back up plans. I'm very paranoid about something happening and my plans not working out and this is why I'm doing this.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: Applying to firms after given offer

Postby malibustacy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:02 am

Unless there's a better reason out there than that "you're very paranoid", you really shouldn't do this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 am

OP Here

So should I email them immediately and tell them I accepted another offer?

A buddy of mine has been working for a firm since last summer. They not only told him they'd like for him to stay on for the summer but that it would be cool if he stayed on after graduation (another small firm). Two weeks ago they fired him and a few other attorneys. I don't want this to happen to me.

Also please tell me if this is in violation of some ABA rule
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ausimpv

New

Postby ausimpv » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here

So should I email them immediately and tell them I accepted another offer?

A buddy of mine has been working for a firm since last summer. They not only told him they'd like for him to stay on for the summer but that it would be cool if he stayed on after graduation (another small firm). Two weeks ago they fired him and a few other attorneys. I don't want this to happen to me.

You're digging a whole for yourself by doing this. What exactly is your plan, to get both jobs then have to tell one that all along you had another one.. just go with the one you have and withdraw your apps asap. Why are you already anticipating being fired so early on??

Return to “Legal Employment�