2017 Patent Fair Bidding Strategy ?s (ChemE BS)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2017 Patent Fair Bidding Strategy ?s (ChemE BS)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as bidding comes close for the 2017 patent fair. This summer I'll be doing in-house patent work for a Rolls-Royce and part time as an RA doing patent research. I'm about 0.1 points below median law school grades at a T20, high honors undergrad grades. I've heard a lot of people saying ChemE is at a huge disadvantage because most places prefer PhD for that space.

I was wondering if anyone had a good strategy as to how to use my 32 bids to maximize the chance of a 2L SA gig. I've networked with a few folks that interview at the patent fair but still want to know a good strategy. Lately I've been marketing myself as a utility guy because I have pretty above average work experience despite only working full time for a year since I also logged 2000 ish hours in undergrad at a F500 company in Chemical Products manufacturing. I'm really banking on this summer's experience helping me a lot because it's relevant experience and at least maintaining my grades for Spring.

Any advice for bidding or the patent fair in general would be great. Including if I should do any prep work outside of mock interviewing and the like.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Re: 2017 Patent Fair Bidding Strategy ?s (ChemE BS)

Postby ballouttacontrol » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 am

Bid on firms that are hiring for chemE. There should be a good amount. Don't be picky just try to get interviews.

Search firm websites for job openings, they won't list what they want for 2Ls, but if they're looking for a chem lateral they'd prob b interested in you

Play up ur industry exp as much as you can

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:09 am

Do you want to do prosecution or lit? That will change your strategy a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:12 am

OP here,

Not sure on the prosecution or lit side. I interviewed with a few firms which left the question very open. I'd like to take a summer to at least have exposure to both, especially with IPRs skyrocketing on the prosecution side

Bluem_11

Bronze

Postby Bluem_11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Well that would be nice yes, but whether you want pros or lit will determine what bidding strategy I think is best. Many (not all) firms go in there knowing whether they want a litigator or a prosecutor. Biglaw is cutting back on pros, more IP boutiques becoming pro shops.
Last edited by Bluem_11 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 pm

you would be a long shot for an AmLaw100 patent lit practice, I think. A ChemE BS is a pretty small bump in that area, and your GPA/school are pretty bad for a generally selective field

I also doubt you'd get a ton of pros interviews either, but probably more than if you shoot for lit. Your first priority should be to get a job. I recommend my advice above

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:47 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:you would be a long shot for an AmLaw100 patent lit practice, I think. A ChemE BS is a pretty small bump in that area, and your GPA/school are pretty bad for a generally selective field

I also doubt you'd get a ton of pros interviews either, but probably more than if you shoot for lit. Your first priority should be to get a job. I recommend my advice above

Just out of curiosity - what GPA at a lower T14 would you consider competitive for patent lit?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:you would be a long shot for an AmLaw100 patent lit practice, I think. A ChemE BS is a pretty small bump in that area, and your GPA/school are pretty bad for a generally selective field

Just out of curiosity - what GPA at a lower T14 would you consider competitive for patent lit?

Idk but I'd guess at least median. Someone at your own school would know better...

There's a reasonably big diff, at least in my mind, btwn somewhere like Georgetown/UT and somewhere like UVa or Duke

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:37 pm

I think a BS in ChemE with a high UGPA is decent for prosecution. It's not EE, but there are jobs out there.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Sorry for the accidental anonymous post above ^^^

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Postby ballouttacontrol » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think a BS in ChemE with a high UGPA is decent for prosecution. It's not EE, but there are jobs out there.

Yes I don't disagree. That's why I said it's probably OPs best shot at patent law. Should get a few interviews if you pick the right firms. I would think stuff like materials patents, some firms do a lot of that

Return to “Legal Employment�