Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:13 pm

2L - have been working as a clerk at a small firm since the fall. Accepted a position at another firm for the summer. Firm I'm at now doesn't give me much work/hasn't said anything about working over the summer or coming on as an associate. Firm I'll be at over the summer said there is a possibility of coming on as an associate. What's the best way to tell them I'm leaving for a better opportunity while still being respectful? I've never really been in this position

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby zot1 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Just talk to your supervisor. It's not that big of a deal.

misterjames

Bronze
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby misterjames » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:23 pm

agree with zot, this sounds pretty straightforward. next time you get a chance to speak with your supervisor just say "wanted to let you know my last day here will be [xyz]."

Abbie Doobie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Abbie Doobie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 pm

i want to thank you for the opportunity to start my legal career at the firm and to develop my skill set

ur_hero

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby ur_hero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L - have been working as a clerk at a small firm since the fall. Accepted a position at another firm for the summer. Firm I'm at now doesn't give me much work/hasn't said anything about working over the summer or coming on as an associate. Firm I'll be at over the summer said there is a possibility of coming on as an associate. What's the best way to tell them I'm leaving for a better opportunity while still being respectful? I've never really been in this position


Not a big deal....And you don't have to be apologetic about it either.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know in advance that I have just accepted an opportunity with another firm for this upcoming Summer. I really appreciate having had the chance to work with you and everything I learned . . . this was a tough decision, but believe this is the best move for my career goals."

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby ClubberLang » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm

ur_hero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L - have been working as a clerk at a small firm since the fall. Accepted a position at another firm for the summer. Firm I'm at now doesn't give me much work/hasn't said anything about working over the summer or coming on as an associate. Firm I'll be at over the summer said there is a possibility of coming on as an associate. What's the best way to tell them I'm leaving for a better opportunity while still being respectful? I've never really been in this position


Not a big deal....And you don't have to be apologetic about it either.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know in advance that I have just accepted an opportunity with another firm for this upcoming Summer. I really appreciate having had the chance to work with you and everything I learned . . . this was a tough decision, but believe this is the best move for my career goals."


Don't say that. It does nothing for you, and at worst they'll think you are insincere, because, quite honestly, it does not sound like it was a tough decision.

ur_hero

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby ur_hero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:13 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
ur_hero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L - have been working as a clerk at a small firm since the fall. Accepted a position at another firm for the summer. Firm I'm at now doesn't give me much work/hasn't said anything about working over the summer or coming on as an associate. Firm I'll be at over the summer said there is a possibility of coming on as an associate. What's the best way to tell them I'm leaving for a better opportunity while still being respectful? I've never really been in this position


Not a big deal....And you don't have to be apologetic about it either.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know in advance that I have just accepted an opportunity with another firm for this upcoming Summer. I really appreciate having had the chance to work with you and everything I learned . . . this was a tough decision, but believe this is the best move for my career goals."


Don't say that. It does nothing for you, and at worst they'll think you are insincere, because, quite honestly, it does not sound like it was a tough decision.


So don't be courteous and tactful? Got it. :thinking:

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby lolwat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I think the point was that you can go overboard with the supposed courtesy/tact. I would have stopped at the second sentence myself too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 pm

OP here

Was thinking of getting a small thank you gift for the partners I worked with, any suggestions or is this not really necessary?

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

Was thinking of getting a small thank you gift for the partners I worked with, any suggestions or is this not really necessary?


Not necessary.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby zot1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here

Was thinking of getting a small thank you gift for the partners I worked with, any suggestions or is this not really necessary?


Not necessary.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

,
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:15 pm

So, would a $10-$20 amazon gift card with a thank you note look tacky?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:04 am

I also have a question about this

I wanted to give a two week notice but the attorney I work with isn't here and I'm not sure when he's getting back. Is it fine to send him an email telling him I'll be leaving or should I wait till he gets back?

User avatar
chili_davis

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby chili_davis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 am

OP, IMO the best way to let your employers know is with a two-week notice. I would say a gift card or equivalent is comparable to giving your teacher an apple. Take the professional route with a notice, thank you, and hand shake.

ur_hero

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby ur_hero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, would a $10-$20 amazon gift card with a thank you note look tacky?


I think this would be weird.

ur_hero

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby ur_hero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

lolwat wrote:I think the point was that you can go overboard with the supposed courtesy/tact. I would have stopped at the second sentence myself too.


Honestly, it's just an example of a pretty standard thing to say. If people are stressing over a few words in this context, they are overthinking it.

Point is, be a human being. Worst thing that can happen is if they liked you enough to be mildly disappointed.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:41 pm

ur_hero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, would a $10-$20 amazon gift card with a thank you note look tacky?


I think this would be weird.


Very weird. What is the point?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also have a question about this

I wanted to give a two week notice but the attorney I work with isn't here and I'm not sure when he's getting back. Is it fine to send him an email telling him I'll be leaving or should I wait till he gets back?



I just had to do this - I sent a short email, saying that we needed to talk but I'd prefer to talk on the phone. The attorney knew what that meant and called back. If you know the attorney will be back tomorrow, then I would wait, but if it'll be a couple of days then best to get moving. I think in person or as close to in person conversations are the best, but it depends on your relationship with the attorney, how long you've been there, if you're a law student clerking who they expect will move on vs. an associate, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:47 pm

My parents aren't from here and in there culture gift giving is huge. Even though I've lived here my whole life I guess there are some aspects of American culture I'm still not familiar with

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My parents aren't from here and in there culture gift giving is huge. Even though I've lived here my whole life I guess there are some aspects of American culture I'm still not familiar with


As a general rule, you don't give your bosses gifts except maybe for very special occasions. Especially when you're leaving. You thank them for everything, maybe offer to buy a drink and keep in touch. That's the extent of gift giving

sms18

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby sms18 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, would a $10-$20 amazon gift card with a thank you note look tacky?


Please don't do this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327307
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Is there a thread about how best to quit from a legal job? I'm about to quit from my first real-world job and was wondering if there is anything different I ought to do other than give two weeks notice to HR.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a thread about how best to quit from a legal job? I'm about to quit from my first real-world job and was wondering if there is anything different I ought to do other than give two weeks notice to HR.


Just have a conversation with your supervisor and HR. Don't need to overthink it

User avatar
jchiles

Silver
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Best way of telling current employer you're leaving

Postby jchiles » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, would a $10-$20 amazon gift card with a thank you note look tacky?


Fwiw i don't think there is any situation where I would buy an adult a 10-20 amazon gift card. No thank you gift is necessary in any situation like this.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.