Remote access / work from home

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Remote access / work from home

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 am

Hello all,

Soon I will be starting at a midsize firm in a major metro area doing lit. Partner told me there are unlimited sick and personal days and a lot of the attorneys work from home with remote access so that they can bill from home.

Now, I am an Apple guy. I have a MacBook and iPad. Am I likely looking at a situation where I have to buy a Windows laptop or a PC dual monitor kinda thing? What have your experiences been? Thank you.

Platinum

Re: Remote access / work from home

Postby 2014 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:53 am

You will probably have to use some sort of virtual desktop if you have a Mac (generally Citrix but there may be other providers) and it can at times be more clunky than if you were sitting at a PC that was connected to your firm's document management system. However, the technology is pretty good and it's not a huge burden, just a minor inconvenience at times.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hello all,

Soon I will be starting at a midsize firm in a major metro area doing lit. Partner told me there are unlimited sick and personal days and a lot of the attorneys work from home with remote access so that they can bill from home.

Now, I am an Apple guy. I have a MacBook and iPad. Am I likely looking at a situation where I have to buy a Windows laptop or a PC dual monitor kinda thing? What have your experiences been? Thank you.

We have remote access at home and I use with wih my MacBook. You simiply use a desktop emulator (free) for windows... super easy.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:56 am

My firm gave me a laptop and a docking station for my desk at home. I have to log into our VPN when I work from home, but it works very smoothly.

In the pre-laptop era, I used Citrix on my Mac and fucking hated it - though that has more to do with the fact that WiFi in my apartment is unreliable, and often caused Citrix to lag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:11 am

I think with most setups, if you are using your personal computer and not the firm laptop, you have to use Citrix anyway. I switched about 2 years ago from Mac to PC, and I didn't notice any performance change - Citrix is a bit slow either way, but perfectly usable.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am

Should be able to use the OS X built-in VPN app to VPN into your firm's network. If you want to Remote Desktop in, there's VM software such as VirtualBox. Is there no Mac app for Citrix?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will talk to IT when I start but it seems as if a MacBook will be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:32 am

I use a Mac mini hooked up to my Ethernet to run Citrix. I bought very high speed internet through Verizon. My set up at home is honestly better than the office. My dual monitors are bigger and internet is faster. I should actually work from home more.

Return to “Legal Employment�