Boston:best neighborhoods for associates?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Boston:best neighborhoods for associates?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Moving to Boston after law school curious as to the best neighborhoods for young associates. Will be working downtown.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Boston:best neighborhoods for associates?

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 am

"The Town" was a fantastic movie. Everytime I think about Boston I immediately think of that movie.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:07 am

kellyfrost wrote:"The Town" was a fantastic movie. Everytime I think about Boston I immediately think of that movie.

kelly stop posting on forums and go out and do something man

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:"The Town" was a fantastic movie. Everytime I think about Boston I immediately think of that movie.

kelly stop posting on forums and go out and do something man

When you do the kinds of things I do day in and day out at work, you quickly realize you don't have the ambition to go out and do fun or crazy things. I would rather post on TLS for a while and then get fully focused on preparing for work the next day.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texas1100

New

Postby texas1100 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:23 am

Back bay

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 am

Back Bay and Beacon Hill are very nice, but not the cheapest areas to live. The North End has great Italian food and would also be a good choice. Stay away from Brighton, Fenway, and Allston unless you want to be around BU/BC kids all the time. The Seaport is really nice and has a few new buildings going up plus good restaurants and shopping. South End is a little more mature, but not bad either.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 am

Not Allston.

kingpin101

Bronze

Postby kingpin101 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 am

Back bay is freaking gorgeous.

Voxius

New

Postby Voxius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Don't do Beacon Hill unless you're really into overpriced antique shops and a constant feeling that you're going to tumble down, well, Beacon Hill.

I lived in Back Bay and loved it. South End is also a really nice area (not sure why someone else said it was more mature than Back Bay).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Also curious as OP. Any thoughts on seaport? Seems close to downtown but not sure whether its a place people want live as opposed to just go out in the summer.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Postby lawlorbust » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:54 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Not Allston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also curious as OP. Any thoughts on seaport? Seems close to downtown but not sure whether its a place people want live as opposed to just go out in the summer.

Seaport is pricey and upscale. A lot of firms are moving out there, but it's still not very convenient because there aren't that many restaurants or grocery stores and other necessities around. That's likely to change in the coming years.

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Postby joeytribbiani » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:26 am

Back bay or Southie, what people said about Allston/Brighton is true, all BC/BU students/grads. Also base where you live on the T. If possible live on the red or blue lines, and avoid the green line (unless its the city underground stops, then it doesn't really matter, but once the lines split off to B,C,D, & E it sucks). Cambridge/Somerville if close to the red line would also be good to look at, personally love Somerville but it's a little farther so look close to the T if you check it out.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:44 am

Anyone have thoughts on East Boston? It seems to be renovating a lot of buildings and be closer to Allston/Brighton pricing. Are any of these areas going to have a 2 bedroom under about 2600/mth? Or is there anywhere itd make more sense to buy then rent, even when you have loan debt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:Anyone have thoughts on East Boston? It seems to be renovating a lot of buildings and be closer to Allston/Brighton pricing. Are any of these areas going to have a 2 bedroom under about 2600/mth? Or is there anywhere itd make more sense to buy then rent, even when you have loan debt?

I looked at East Boston two years ago and was able to find bedrooms for $800-900/mo. These were shared living situations with strangers though, found on craigslist. Didn't end up taking any of those rooms and opted for Cambridge instead. From what I hear from Boston locals, east Boston has been "up and coming" for some time and it's best to stick close to the metro. Even then, I didn't get the best vibe from the places I looked it (it wasn't somewhere I felt safe walking around at night as a lone female).

WearyCartographer

New

Postby WearyCartographer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:25 pm

I live in JP and am a big fan. Great restaurants/bars, lots of green space, no real issues with parking and a true neighborhood feel. The commute downtown isn't bad on the orange line (and is even better to Back Bay). Downtown commute would be on average no more than 45 minutes depending on how far from the orange line you are on either end of the trip. I'd say 2k-2.4k is the sweet spot for 2 bedrooms which will generally be nicer and larger than what you'd find in the neighborhoods closer to downtown.

Eastie is probably the only neighborhood people have thrown out positively so far that would be cheaper. I think in five years it will definitely be the new "it" place to live for young professionals in Boston. There are definitely good deals to be had and the commute to downtown is super easy on the blue line. If you aren't using the T though, it can be a bit of a pain to get too, especially at rush hour with traffic in the tunnels going to and from Logan. Definitely a bit more worn down then some of the other neighborhoods and slightly more crime. Commute beyond downtown (e.g., Back Bay or Cambridge) would be less than ideal but still doable.

You can't go wrong with the neighborhoods that others have mentioned either (South End, Back Bay, Seaport, Beacon Hill) but you will likely be paying more and/or living in a shoebox.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm

WearyCartographer wrote:I live in JP and am a big fan. Great restaurants/bars, lots of green space, no real issues with parking and a true neighborhood feel. The commute downtown isn't bad on the orange line (and is even better to Back Bay). Downtown commute would be on average no more than 45 minutes depending on how far from the orange line you are on either end of the trip. I'd say 2k-2.4k is the sweet spot for 2 bedrooms which will generally be nicer and larger than what you'd find in the neighborhoods closer to downtown.

Eastie is probably the only neighborhood people have thrown out positively so far that would be cheaper. I think in five years it will definitely be the new "it" place to live for young professionals in Boston. There are definitely good deals to be had and the commute to downtown is super easy on the blue line. If you aren't using the T though, it can be a bit of a pain to get too, especially at rush hour with traffic in the tunnels going to and from Logan. Definitely a bit more worn down then some of the other neighborhoods and slightly more crime. Commute beyond downtown (e.g., Back Bay or Cambridge) would be less than ideal but still doable.

You can't go wrong with the neighborhoods that others have mentioned either (South End, Back Bay, Seaport, Beacon Hill) but you will likely be paying more and/or living in a shoebox.

Shoebox is right. Some of the studios downtown are close to $2000 and are quite literally the size of a hotel room at ~400-500 sq ft.

Return to “Legal Employment�