US citizen on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

US citizen on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:44 am

This may seem silly but should I indicate somewhere on my resume that I'm a US citizen? I was born/raised here but I have a foreign sounding name and have gotten asked in many interviews where I am from. A few times I got a look when I said the name of the state I was born in and then had to tell them that that my parents are from x country. Is it just curiosity or could people be concerned about hiring a non-citizen? I figure if they want to know they'll just ask in the interview but I don't want to get dinged just b/c someone has doubts.

Anonymous User

Re: US citizen on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 am

No, you don't need to put your citizenship in your resume unless it's explicitly called for in a job posting. But people have biases against foreign sounding names for sure and this issue has been debated on this forum before. All things being equal, if it's a toss between John smith and you, it's going to be John smith. It's unfortunate but that's how the game works.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:No, you don't need to put your citizenship in your resume unless it's explicitly called for in a job posting. But people have biases against foreign sounding names for sure and this issue has been debated on this forum before. All things being equal, if it's a toss between John smith and you, it's going to be John smith. It's unfortunate but that's how the game works.

I disagree. I'm Asian, and some OCI interviewers explicitly asked me if I am a foreigner and need work visa sponsorship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

I'm Asian American and I have been asked about visa sponsorship at an interview. I think this came up because somewhere during the interview I had mentioned living in Asia before, so the interviewer assumed I might be a foreigner (I speak perfect English).

Another time, with the above experience still fresh in my mind, I tried to preempt the issue of visa sponsorship but mentioning I was a US citizen in the interview, and quickly mentioning that I was bringing it up because it was raised as a question at a previous interview. My interviewer looked slightly horrified and commented that people shouldn't ask that question. Got an offer, though, despite what might have been a faux pas (?).

Several years into my career (and a lateral move later), I still don't know how to approach this issue the correct way, but I wouldn't put it on my resume that's for sure. Try to mention it in the interview in a savvy way.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:21 pm

If your education and work history is all in the US that should signal to anyone that you're a citizen.

Return to “Legal Employment�