JAG Corps and Loan Repayment, SCRA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JAG Corps and Loan Repayment, SCRA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 pm

I am wondering if anyone has feedback re: student loan repayment for JAGs. My law school financial aid office recommended consolidating my loans to make it easier - and then apply for IBR and PSLF. Elsewhere I read a suggestion to NOT consolidate your loans if you're going into the military because consolidation gives you a new loan origin date (date of consolidation) and then you may not be eligible for the SCRA (because for SCRA your loan must originate prior to service).

It looks like the (SCRA) Servicemembers Civil Relief Act caps future interest at 6% max while you are on active duty. Per http://www.military.com/benefits/milita ... rview.html :
"No interest above 6% can accrue for credit obligations (that were established prior to active duty or activation) while on active duty. The portion above 6% is permanently forgiven... Monthly payment myst be reduce by amount of interest saved during the covered period... SCRA eligibility - protection begins at date of entering active duty and generally terminates within 30-90 days after discharge from active duty."

1. Has anyone dealt with this already? Your advice would be much appreciated.

2. Loan origination date - if you consolidate loans prior to "activating" (e.g. while IRR), but post-comission, would that mean that loans could potentially be consolidated + eligible for SCRA protection? (Or is your commission date also your activation date?)

aka123

New

Re: JAG Corps and Loan Repayment, SCRA

Post by aka123 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Ugh. THANK YOU for starting this. Ive been wondering about this as well. I have an appointment with my school's financial aid director so I'll be sure to share any information I get as well.

Husky09

New

Re: JAG Corps and Loan Repayment, SCRA

Post by Husky09 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 pm

I would also really appreciate the insights of others - my school's financial aid office doesn't know anything about SCRA, so they couldn't provide much info.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”