Lateral Hiring Timeline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Hiring Timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:05 pm

First year EC/VC and Entertainment associate at a mid-sized firm - worked at the firm from the end of 1L (incl. 30-40 hours per week during 2L and 3L). Graduated Top 15% at a T1.

Applied for a junior associate position at an office outside of my current market, and received a follow-up email from recruiting a couple days later asking for more information (my current firm's IT department is interminably slow, and I wasn't on the website 8 months after starting - firm I applied to wanted to know why). I had thought this was a good sign, and that I'd get a call for an interview shortly, but I still haven't heard back from this firm. My only experience with recruiting is through OCI, where things move fairly quickly. Is lateral hiring the same, or can I expect the process to be more drawn out (and thus not necessarily expect a ding)?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Hiring Timeline

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:18 pm

In my experience, lateral hiring varies depending on the firm. My first lateral move (from government to a small firm) happened all within 2 weeks from application, to interview, to offer. My next lateral move (from small firm to biglaw) took 3 months from application, to interview, to offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21 pm

OP here. Should add - I'm looking to move to a big firm so that I can (hopefully) get more sophisticated work and do work for more mature companies, in addition to early stage ventures.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:38 pm

My experience is that it really depends on how urgent the company is to bring in new bodies. I've recently been applying and one firm got back to me within 2 days. Another firm has been sitting on my resume for 2 weeks. That's just how it goes.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:First year EC/VC and Entertainment associate at a mid-sized firm - worked at the firm from the end of 1L (incl. 30-40 hours per week during 2L and 3L). Graduated Top 15% at a T1.

Applied for a junior associate position at an office outside of my current market, and received a follow-up email from recruiting a couple days later asking for more information (my current firm's IT department is interminably slow, and I wasn't on the website 8 months after starting - firm I applied to wanted to know why). I had thought this was a good sign, and that I'd get a call for an interview shortly, but I still haven't heard back from this firm. My only experience with recruiting is through OCI, where things move fairly quickly. Is lateral hiring the same, or can I expect the process to be more drawn out (and thus not necessarily expect a ding)?

It can be drawn out or it can be quick- all depends on the need. It's not unusual for things to move slower than OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment�